Vigantol instructions for use
Solution for internal use Vigantol is a vitamin preparation. It is used for the integrated treatment and prevention of diseases accompanied by vitamin D deficiency, since it contains its active form, colecalciferol (vitamin D 3 ) as an active substance.
Release form and composition
The drug Vigantol is an oil solution for internal use. 1 ml of the solution contains the active substance, colecalciferol (vitamin D 3 ) in an amount of 20,000 IU (international units) or 0.5 mg. Carton packs contain 1 glass bottle with 10 ml of solution and instructions for use of the preparation.
The active ingredient of the Vigantol oral solution is colecalciferol (vitamin D 3 ), a fat-soluble vitamin that performs a number of biologically important functions in the human body:
- Increases the absorption of calcium ions and phosphoric acid salts from the intestinal lumen into the blood.
- Regulates the process of removing mineral salts from the body, primarily calcium and phosphate.
- Improves the mineralization of bone tissue, thereby increasing their strength.
- Takes part in the synthesis of ATP (adenosine triphosphate acid) inside the cells - this is the main compound, which is the accumulator of intracellular energy released during the splitting of organic substances.
Vitamin D 3 is also necessary for the normal functioning of the parathyroid glands, the hormones of which are involved in the regulation of the level of calcium and phosphoric acid in the body.
After ingestion of Vigantol oil solution orally, colecalciferol is rapidly absorbed into the blood, where it reaches therapeutic concentration within 20-30 minutes. Since vitamin D 3 is a fat-soluble compound, its bioavailability and absorption improve when the solution is taken in combination with food containing lipids. The active substance tends to accumulate in the body, in particular in adipose tissue and liver, which must be taken into account when selecting the dosage and the mode of administration of the drug.
Indications for use
The main indications for the use of Vigantol oil solution are body conditions that are accompanied by a lack of vitamin D in the body, impaired metabolism of calcium salts and phosphoric acid. These include:
- Rickets in children is an exchange pathology associated with an insufficient amount of vitamin D 3 in the child’s body and a decrease in the level of calcium in the blood, which leads to demineralization of bone tissue (decrease in bone strength due to insufficient intake of calcium salts and phosphoric acid).
- Osteomalacia - softening of the bone tissue in children or adults due to metabolic mineral salts in the body.
- Osteoporosis in women in menopause - leaching of calcium salts from bone tissue as a result of a decrease in estrogen levels (female sex hormones).
- Spasmophilia is a predisposition to the development of convulsions (it happens more often in children) against the background of a decrease in the concentration of calcium ions in the body, necessary for the normal conduct of nerve impulses along the fibers.
- Hypoparathyroidism is an insufficient functional activity of the parathyroid glands, accompanied by a decrease in the level of their hormones and calcium ions in the body.
- Combined therapy of acne (acne) and psoriasis (chronic degenerative-dystrophic pathology of the skin).
Also, an oil solution for oral administration Vigantol is used for the prevention and treatment of hypovitaminosis (insufficient supply or synthesis of vitamin D) in the body.
The use of the drug is contraindicated in several pathological and physiological states of the body, which include:
- Individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to colicalciferol or auxiliary components of Vigantol oil solution.
- Hypercalcemia - a condition in which the body increases calcium levels, while taking the drug only exacerbates this process.
- Hypercalciuria - increased excretion of calcium salts in the urine.
- Pregnancy at any time and breastfeeding.
The determination of the possible presence of contraindications to the use of the drug is carried out before the start of its reception. To determine the presence of hypercalcemia or hypercalciuria, a biochemical laboratory test of blood and urine is performed.
Dosage and administration
Vigantol oil solution is taken orally in drops, which can be dissolved in a small amount of liquid. For better absorption of the drug from the intestines, it is recommended to take after a meal containing animal or vegetable fats. The dosage is selected individually and depends on the age and purpose of treatment:
- For the prevention of rickets in children aged 2 weeks (infants) - 1-2 drops of solution (about 500 IU) per day, sometimes for medical reasons or premature babies, the dose can be increased to 3-4 drops (about 1000 IU).
- Children at the age of 2 years, in the winter season, for the prevention of rickets, the drug is used in a dose of 3 drops 3 times a day.
- For the treatment of rickets in children aged 2 years and older, Vigantol oil solution is taken 5 drops 3 times a day.
- Infants for the treatment of spasmophilia drug is prescribed in a dose of 10 drops 3 times a day.
- For the prevention of osteomalacia in adults, the drug is prescribed at a dose of 1-2 drops per day, for treatment - 5 drops 3 times a day.
- During the treatment of hypoparathyroidism in adults, the drug is used in the amount of 15-20 drops per day (about 10,000 IU), and the level of calcium and phosphorus salts in the blood is periodically monitored.
The duration of therapeutic or prophylactic administration of the drug Vigantol is determined individually, on the basis of normalizing the general condition of the child or adult, reducing the severity of the clinical symptoms of the pathological process and achieving stable normal levels of calcium ions and phosphoric acid in the body.
The main side effect of the use of Vigantol oil solution is the development of hypercalcemia or hypercalciuria, which are accompanied by the development of the following clinical symptoms:
- Acute arrhythmias and heart rate (arrhythmia).
- Nausea, vomiting, unstable stool, abdominal pain, anorexia (lack of appetite), increased thirst.
- Disruption of consciousness up to its complete absence, various mental disorders.
- Reduced body weight with prolonged symptoms of hypercalcemia.
- The development of urolithiasis caused by the postponement of calcium salts in the kidneys and urinary tract.
- The postponement of calcifications (insoluble calcium salts) in various organs and tissues with a corresponding violation of their functional activity.
- In rare cases, polyuria can develop - an increase in the amount of urine released and the number of urination.
The development of side effects is more common in individuals with hypersensitivity to vitamin D 3 .
Before you start taking oil solution Vigantol, you must carefully read the instructions for use of the drug. It is important to pay attention to a number of special instructions, which include:
- The drug is used with caution in concomitant sarcoidosis or the presence of calcium stones and stones in the urinary system (kidneys, ureters, bladder).
- When using the drug in persons with limited mobility (after applying a plaster bandage, a stroke), with past urolithiasis in the past, laboratory levels of calcium and phosphoric acid salts in the blood and urine are periodically monitored.
- Caution Vigantol oil solution is used while taking with thiazide diuretics (diuretics), as it increases the risk of hypercalcemia.
- The drug does not affect the speed of psychomotor reactions and concentration.
The oil solution Vigantol released in the pharmacy network without a prescription. In case of any questions or doubts regarding its use, you should consult with your doctor.
With a significant excess of the recommended therapeutic dose of the drug, hypercalcemia symptoms develop, which is nausea, vomiting, arrhythmia and heart rate, changes in consciousness, up to its loss, hallucinations, anorexia (lack of appetite), increased blood pressure. On the part of the kidneys may develop polyuria. For the treatment of overdose is performed washing the stomach, intestines, the use of laxatives and intestinal sorbents. To reduce the level of calcium in the blood, intravenous drip infusion of physiological saline and the use of furosemide (a diuretic agent that promotes the excretion of calcium salts in the urine) is carried out.
Analogues of the oil solution Vigantol on the active ingredient and therapeutic effect are Videin, Alfaforkala, Ideos.
Terms and conditions of storage
The shelf life of the drug from the time of manufacture is one year. The oil solution must be stored in a dark, dry and out of the reach of children place at an air temperature not higher than C.
The average cost of Vigantol oil solution in Moscow pharmacies varies between 202-217 rubles.