Wigantol user manual
Solution for internal use Wigantol is a vitamin preparation. It is used for complex treatment and prevention of diseases accompanied by vitamin D deficiency, since it contains its active form of colcalciferol (vitamin D 3 ) as an active substance.
Form of issue and composition
The drug Wigantol is an oil solution for internal use. In 1 ml of the solution contains the active substance kolokaltsiferol (vitamin D 3 ) in an amount of 20,000 IU (international units) or 0.5 mg. Cardboard package contains 1 glass bottle with 10 ml of solution and instruction on the use of the preparation.
The active substance of the solution for oral administration of Vigantol is colcalciferol (vitamin D 3 ) - it is a fat-soluble vitamin that performs a number of biologically important functions in the human body:
- Increases the absorption of calcium ions and phosphoric acid salts from the intestinal lumen into the blood.
- Regulates the process of removing mineral salts from the body, primarily calcium and phosphate.
- Improves the mineralization of bone tissue, due to which increases their strength.
- Takes part in the synthesis of ATP (adenosine triphosphoric acid) inside cells - this is the main compound, which is the accumulator of intracellular energy released during the cleavage of organic substances.
Vitamin D 3 is also necessary for the normal functioning of parathyroid glands, the hormones of which are involved in the regulation of the level of calcium and salts of phosphoric acid in the body.
After taking an oily solution of Vigantol inside, colcalciferol is quickly absorbed into the blood, where it reaches a therapeutic concentration within 20-30 minutes. Since vitamin D 3 is a fat-soluble compound, its bioavailability and absorption are improved by the joint administration of the solution with food containing lipids. The active substance has the property to accumulate in the body, in particular in adipose tissue and liver, which must be taken into account when selecting the dosage and the regimen of the drug.
Indications for use
The main indication for the use of the Wigantol oil solution is the body condition, which is accompanied by a lack of vitamin D in the body, a violation of calcium and phosphoric acid metabolism. These include:
- Rickets in children - an exchange pathology associated with an insufficient amount of vitamin D 3 in the body of a child and a decrease in the level of calcium in the blood, which leads to demineralization of bone tissue (a decrease in the strength of bones due to insufficient intake of calcium salts and phosphoric acid).
- Osteomalacia - softening of bone tissue in children or adults due to the violation of the exchange of mineral salts in the body.
- Osteoporosis in women in the climacteric period - the washing out of calcium salts from bone tissue as a result of a decrease in the level of estrogens (female sex hormones).
- Spasmophilia is a predisposition to the development of seizures (it happens more often in children) against the background of a decrease in the concentration of calcium ions in the body, which are necessary for the normal conduct of nerve impulses along the fibers.
- Hypoparathyroidism is an inadequate functional activity of parathyroid glands, accompanied by a decrease in the level of their hormones and calcium ions in the body.
- Complex therapy of acne (acne) and psoriasis (chronic degenerative-dystrophic skin pathology).
Also, an oily solution for oral administration Vigantol is used to prevent and treat hypovitaminosis (insufficient intake or synthesis of vitamin D) in the body.
Contraindications for use
Use of the drug is contraindicated with several pathological and physiological conditions of the body, which include:
- Individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to colocalciferol or auxiliary components of the Wigantol oil solution.
- Hypercalcemia is a condition in which the level of calcium in the body increases, while taking the drug only aggravates this process.
- Hypercalciuria - increased excretion of calcium salts with urine.
- Pregnancy at any time and breastfeeding.
Determination of the possible presence of contraindications to the use of the drug is carried out even before the beginning of its administration. To determine the presence of hypercalcemia or hypercalciuria, a biochemical laboratory examination of blood and urine is carried out.
Dosing and Administration
The oil solution of Vigantol is taken internally in drops that can be dissolved in a small amount of liquid. For better absorption of the drug from the intestine, it is recommended to take it after a meal containing animal or vegetable fats. Dosage is selected individually and depends on the age and purpose of treatment:
- To prevent the development of rickets in children from the age of 2 weeks (infants) - 1-2 drops of solution (about 500 IU) per day, sometimes for medical reasons or premature infants, the dose may be increased to 3-4 drops (about 1000 IU).
- Children at the age of 2 years, during the winter months of the year for the prevention of rickets, the drug is used in a dose of 3 drops 3 times a day.
- For the treatment of rickets in children aged 2 years, the Wigantol oil solution is taken 5 drops 3 times a day.
- Infants for the treatment of spasmophilia drug is prescribed in a dose of 10 drops 3 times a day.
- To prevent the process of osteomalacia in adults, the drug is prescribed in a dose of 1-2 drops per day, for treatment - 5 drops 3 times a day.
- During treatment of hypoparathyroidism in adults, the drug is used in an amount of 15-20 drops per day (about 10,000 IU), with periodic monitoring of the level of calcium and phosphorus salts in the blood.
The duration of therapeutic or prophylactic administration of the drug Vigantol is established individually, based on the normalization of the general condition of the child or adult, reducing the severity of clinical symptoms of the pathological process and achieving a stable normal level of calcium ions and phosphoric acid salts in the body.
The main side effect of the application of the Wigantol oil solution is the development of hypercalcemia or hypercalciuria, which are accompanied by the development of such clinical symptoms:
- Acute violations of the rhythm and frequency of cardiac contractions (arrhythmia).
- Nausea, vomiting, unstable stool, abdominal pain, anorexia (lack of appetite), increased thirst.
- Violation of consciousness until its complete absence, various mental disorders.
- Decrease in body weight with prolonged hypercalcemia.
- The development of urolithiasis caused by the deposition of calcium salts in the kidneys and urinary tract.
- Deposition of calcinates (insoluble calcium salts) in various organs and tissues with a corresponding violation of their functional activity.
- In rare cases, polyuria may develop - an increase in the amount of urine released and the amount of urination.
The development of side effects is more common in people with hypersensitivity to vitamin D 3 .
Before you start taking an oil solution of Vigantol, you should carefully read the instructions for using the drug. It is important to pay attention to a number of special instructions, which include:
- The drug is used with caution in concomitant sarcoidosis or the presence of calcium stones and concrements in the organs of the urinary system (kidneys, ureters, bladder).
- When using the drug in people with limited mobility (after applying gypsum dressings, a stroke), with urolithiasis in the past, laboratory monitoring of the level of calcium and phosphoric acid salts in the blood and urine is carried out periodically.
- Caution oil solution Wigantol is used with simultaneous reception with thiazide diuretics (diuretics), as the risk of hypercalcemia increases.
- The drug does not affect the speed of psychomotor reactions and concentration of attention.
Oil solution Wigantol is released in the pharmacy network without a prescription. In case of any questions or doubts about its use, consult a physician.
If the recommended therapeutic dose is significantly exceeded, the symptomatology of hypercalcemia develops, which consists in the appearance of nausea, vomiting, rhythm and frequency of heart activity, changes in consciousness, down to its loss, hallucinations, anorexia (lack of appetite), and increased blood pressure. From the kidneys may develop polyuria. For the treatment of overdosage, the stomach, intestines are washed, laxatives and intestinal sorbents are used. To reduce the level of calcium in the blood, an intravenous drip of saline is administered and furosemide is used (a diuretic that helps to excrete calcium salts in the urine).
Analogues of the oil solution of Vigantol according to the active substance and the therapeutic effect are Videin, Alfaforcala, Ideos.
Terms and conditions of storage
Shelf life of the drug from the date of manufacture is a year. The oil solution must be stored in a dark, dry and inaccessible place for children at an air temperature not higher than C.
The average cost of an oil solution Vigantol in pharmacies in Moscow varies within the limits of 202-217 rubles.