Vigamoks eye drops instructions for use
Vigamox eye drops are an antibacterial drug used in ophthalmology. The active ingredient of the drug is active against most pathogens of infectious diseases, so these eye drops are used for the etiotropic treatment of infectious and inflammatory eye disease.
Release form and composition
Vigamox eye drops are a clear solution. 1 ml of solution contains the main active ingredient of the drug moxifloxacin in the amount of 5 mg (0.5% solution). Also included are auxiliary components, which include:
- Sodium chloride.
- Boric acid.
- Hydrochloric acid or hydroxide to bring the pH to the required value.
- Purified water.
The solution of eye drops Vigamoks contained in a plastic bottle dropper with a volume of 3 and 5 ml. Carton packs contain one bottle of solution and instructions for use of the drug.
The main active ingredient of eye drops Vigamoks is moxifloxacin, which belongs to the group of antibacterial agents (fluoroquinolones). It has a pronounced bactericidal activity (destroys bacterial cells) against most different bacteria that cause infectious diseases:
- Gram-positive microorganisms (when stained by Gram stained purple) - staphylococcus (Staphylococcus aureus), streptococci, enterococci (Enterococcus faecium, Enterococcus faecalis), corynebacterium (Corynebacterium spp.), Listeria (Listeria spp).
- Gram-negative microorganisms (Gram stained in pink) - a group of pathogens of intestinal infections (Salmonella spp., Ihl, Shigella spp., Vibrio cholerae, Helicobacter pylori, Escherichia coli), neisserii (Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Neisseria meningitidis ıshyah. Pseudomonas (Proteus mirabilis, Proteus vulgaris) and hemophilic (Haemophillus influenzae) bacillus (Bacteroides spp.).
The mechanism of the bactericidal action of moxifloxacin is associated with blocking the functional activity of bacterial enzymes responsible for the processes of repair, transcription, replication of cellular DNA (topoisomerase II and topoisomerase IV).
After instillation of the drug in the eye, the active substance is absorbed in a small amount into the systemic circulation.
Indications for use
Vigamox eye drops are indicated for the local etiotropic treatment of infectious-inflammatory processes of the eye, aimed at the destruction of bacteria, in particular for the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis (conjunctivitis inflammation), in complex therapy of blepharitis (eyelid inflammation).
Due to the practical lack of absorption into the systemic circulation and the local effect of the drug, the only contraindication to its use is individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to moxifloxacin or auxiliary components. The drug does not apply to children under the age of one year, pregnant and lactating women.
Dosage and administration
Vigamox eye drops are applied by dropping them in the eye. For adults and children, the dosage is the same and makes 1 drop in one eye 3 times a day. The average duration of treatment is 5 days. While maintaining the symptoms of the inflammatory process, you should consult with your doctor. In the case of the presence of diseases of the liver, kidneys, accompanied by their functional insufficiency, dose adjustment and the duration of application of Vigamox eye drops is not carried out.
After instillation of Vigamox drops into the eyes, local and general negative reactions from various organs and systems may develop (the occurrence of general reactions is due to the absorption of a small amount of the active substance into the systemic circulation):
- Local reactions - the development of burning sensation, dry eyes, hyperemia (redness) of the conjunctiva, point keratitis.
- Blood system - a decrease in hemoglobin level and red blood cell count (anemia).
- Nervous system - headache, paresthesia (local violation of skin sensitivity with the development of tingling sensations).
- Cardiovascular system - increase in heart rate ( tachycardia ).
- The organs of the respiratory system - a feeling of discomfort in the nose, pain in the pharynx and larynx, sensation of a foreign body in the larynx, dyspnea (dysfunction of external respiration).
- The gastrointestinal tract, the digestive system - rarely can develop nausea, vomiting, unstable stool (constipation is replaced by diarrhea and vice versa).
- Allergic reactions - a rash on the skin, itching, urticaria (characteristic rashes that look like skin after a nettle burn), angioedema of Quincke (marked swelling of the skin and subcutaneous tissue in the face, genitalia). The incidence of severe allergic reactions in the form of anaphylactic shock (progressive reduction of systemic arterial pressure and multiple organ failure) remains unknown today.
In the event of side effects or adverse reactions, the use of Vigamox eye drops is stopped.
Before starting to use Vigamoks eye drops, it is imperative that you read the instructions for the preparation. There are several specific indications regarding their use, which include:
- The drug is intended only for local use, it can not be taken orally.
- Due to insufficient data on harm, the use of Vigamox eye drops is not recommended for pregnant, lactating women and children under 1 year of age.
- When combining the use of the drug with other fluoroquinolones of systemic action, the risk of severe allergic reactions increases.
- Non-systematic, long-term use of Vigamox eye drops can lead to the development of resistance in bacteria of pathogens of the pathological process, as a result of which the disease becomes chronic, difficult to treat.
- During treatment and instillation of drops, the use of contact lenses is not recommended.
- The drug is not used to treat chlamydia of the eyes of children under the age of 2 years.
- The active substance and auxiliary components of the eye drops Vigamoks do not have a direct impact on the speed of psychomotor reactions and concentration. While driving, it is necessary to take into account that immediately after instillation there may be a slight blurring of vision.
In the pharmacy network, the drug is available on prescription. We do not recommend the unsystematic use of eye drops alone or on the recommendation of third parties.
The active substance does not have a pronounced toxic effect on the body in case of exceeding the recommended therapeutic dose when instilled into the eyes or accidentally consumed inside, therefore the symptoms of overdose do not develop. Sometimes the appearance of symptoms of side effects is possible, which is the basis for withdrawal of the drug.
Analogs of eye drops on the active substance and therapeutic effect are Floksal, Okacin, Kofloksin.
Terms and conditions of storage
The duration of storage of the drug since its manufacture is 3 years. After opening the bottle and the first use of drops, their shelf life is 4 weeks. There are no special conditions for preserving the drug. Storage in a dark place inaccessible to children at air temperature not higher than + 25 ° C is recommended.
Eye drops Vigamoks price
The average cost of Vigamox eye drops in pharmacies in Moscow is 200-219 rubles.