Vigamox eye drops instructions for use
Eye drops Vigamox are an antibacterial drug used in ophthalmology. The active substance of the drug has activity against most pathogens of infectious diseases, therefore these eye drops are used for etiotropic therapy of the infectious-inflammatory pathology of the eyes.
Form of issue and composition
Eye drops Vigamox are a clear solution. In 1 ml solution contains the main active substance of the preparation moxifloxacin in an amount of 5 mg (0.5% solution). Also includes auxiliary components, which include:
- Sodium chloride.
- Boric acid.
- Hydrochloric acid or hydroxide to adjust the pH to the desired value.
- Purified water.
The solution of eye drops Vigamox is contained in a plastic bottle with a dropper volume of 3 and 5 ml. A cardboard package contains one vial of solution and instructions for use.
The main active substance of eye drops Vigamox is moxifloxacin, which belongs to the group of antibacterial agents (fluoroquinolones). It has a pronounced bactericidal activity (destroying bacterial cells) against most different bacteria, infectious agents:
- Gram-positive microorganisms (stained with Gram stain in violet color) are staphylococci (Staphylococcus aureus), streptococci, enterococci (Enterococcus faecium, Enterococcus faecalis), corynebacterium spp., Listeria spp.
- Gram-negative microorganisms (Gram stain pink) are a group of pathogens of intestinal infections (Salmonella spp., Shigella spp., Vibrio cholerae, Helicobacter pylori, Escherichia coli), Neisseria (Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Neisseria meningitidis), Klebsiella spp. (Proteus mirabilis, Proteus vulgaris) and hemophilic (Haemophillus influenzae) rod, bacteroides (Bacteroides spp.).
The mechanism of bactericidal action of moxifloxacin is associated with the blocking of the functional activity of bacterial enzymes responsible for the processes of repair, transcription, replication of cellular DNA (topoisomerase II and topoisomerase IV).
After instillation of the drug into the eye, the active substance is absorbed into the systemic blood stream in a small amount.
Indications for use
Vigamox eye drops are indicated for local etiotropic treatment of the infectious inflammatory processes of the eye, aimed at the destruction of bacteria, in particular for the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis (inflammation of the conjunctiva), in the complex therapy of blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelid).
Contraindications for use
In connection with the practical lack of absorption into the systemic blood stream and local action of the drug, the only contraindication to its use is individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to moxifloxacin or ancillary components. The drug is not used for children under the age of one, pregnant and lactating women.
Dosing and Administration
Eye drops Vigamox are applied by digging them into the eye. For adults and children the dosage is the same and is 1 drop in one eye 3 times a day. The average duration of treatment is 5 days. If symptoms of the inflammatory process persist, consult a physician. In the case of liver diseases, kidneys, accompanied by their functional insufficiency, correction of the dose and duration of application of eye drops Vigamox is not carried out.
After instillation of Vigamox drops into the eyes, it is possible to develop local and general negative reactions from various organs and systems (the emergence of general reactions is associated with the absorption of a small amount of active substance into the systemic circulation):
- Local reactions - development of a burning sensation, dry eyes, congestion hyperemia (redness), acne keratitis.
- The blood system - a decrease in the level of hemoglobin and the number of red blood cells (anemia).
- Nervous system - headache, paresthesia (local disturbance of skin sensitivity with development of sensation of pricking).
- Cardiovascular system - increased heart rate ( tachycardia ).
- Respiratory system organs - a sensation of discomfort in the nose, pain in the pharynx and larynx, sensation of an extraneous body in the larynx, dyspnoea (impaired function of external respiration).
- Gastrointestinal tract, digestive system - rarely nausea, vomiting, unstable stool (constipation is replaced by diarrhea and vice versa).
- Allergic reactions - a rash on the skin, its itching, urticaria (characteristic rashes, resembling the skin after a nettle burn), angioedema of Quincke (pronounced swelling of the skin and subcutaneous tissue in the face, external genital organs). The incidence of severe allergic reaction in the form of anaphylactic shock (progressive reduction in systemic blood pressure and multiple organ failure) is still unknown.
In case of side effects or negative reactions, the use of eye drops of Vigamox cease.
Before the application of drops for the eyes of Vigamox, it is necessary to read the instructions to the preparation. There are several specific indications regarding their use, which include:
- The drug is intended only for local administration, it can not be taken internally.
- In view of the lack of data on harm, it is not recommended to use eye drops Vigamox for pregnant women, lactating women and children under 1 year of age.
- When combining the use of the drug with other systemic fluoroquinolones, the risk of developing severe allergic reactions increases.
- Unsystematic, prolonged use of eye drops Vigamox can lead to the development of resistance in bacteria pathogens pathogens, resulting in the disease turns into a chronic form, difficult to treat.
- During the treatment and instillation of drops, the use of contact lenses is not recommended.
- The drug is not used for the treatment of chlamydia in children under the age of 2 years.
- The active substance and auxiliary components of eye drops Vigamox do not have a direct effect on the speed of psychomotor reactions and concentration of attention. When driving a vehicle, it should be borne in mind that immediately after instillation there may be a slight blurring of vision.
In the pharmacy network, the drug is dispensed by prescription. It is not recommended to use unsystematic eye drops independently or on the recommendation of third parties.
The active substance does not exert a pronounced toxic effect on the body if the recommended therapeutic dose is exceeded when instilled in the eye or accidentally ingested orally, so the symptoms of overdose do not develop. Sometimes the appearance of symptoms of side effects, which is the basis for the withdrawal of the drug.
Analogues of eye drops for the active substance and therapeutic effect are Floxal, Okatsin, Cofloxin.
Terms and conditions of storage
Duration of storage of the drug from the moment of its manufacture is 3 years. After printing the bottle and the first use of drops, their shelf life is 4 weeks. Special conditions for the preservation of the drug there. It is recommended to store in a dark place inaccessible to children at an air temperature not exceeding + 25 ° C.
Eye drops Vigamox price
The average cost of eye drops Vigamox in pharmacies in Moscow is 200-219 rubles.