Vestikap instructions for use
The drug Vesticap refers to medicines for the treatment of vestibular disorders. It allows you to reduce the severity of dizziness and improves hearing in various pathological processes of the inner ear. The drug is used in the complex treatment of Meniere's disease.
Form of issue and composition
The drug is available in the form of white capsules and a round shape. One capsule contains several doses of the main active ingredient betahistine (in the form of hydrochloride) - 8 mg, 16 mg and 24 mg. Also, the capsule contains a number of auxiliary substances, which include:
- Lactose monohydrate (milk sugar)
- Microcrystalline cellulose.
- Potato starch.
- Carboxymethyl starch of sodium.
- Silica colloidal anhydrous.
- Magnesium stearate.
Capsules Vesticap packaged in a package of 30 pieces or a combination of 60 pieces. Cardboard pack contains a package with capsules and instructions for the use of the drug.
The main active ingredient of capsules of Vesticap betagistin is a synthetic analogue of histamine of the central nervous system and has an effect in the presence of vestibular disorders due to several pharmacological effects:
- It blocks histamine H 3 -receptors and stimulates the functional activity of H 1 -receptors.
- Strengthens the intensity and volume of blood flow in the brain and inner ear due to the dosed expansion of arterial vessels.
- Normalizes the pressure of the endolymph in the inner ear, cochlea of the inner ear.
- It facilitates and accelerates compensation of the inner ear after its increased irritation after intoxication, motion sickness or direct pathological process in it.
- Reduces excessive impulses in the neurocytes (cells of the nervous system) of the inner ear.
Due to such pharmacological effects, Vesticap capsules relieve symptoms in Meniere's disease, and reduces symptomatic dizziness in various pathological processes in the body.
After taking the capsule Vesticap inside, the active substance is quickly absorbed into the blood from the stomach and small intestine. Betagistin penetrates well into the brain and inner ear through the blood-brain barrier. In the body, the active substance of the drug is metabolized to pharmacologically inactive exchange products - 2-pyridylacetic acid and dimethylbetahistine. The metabolic products are excreted from the body mainly by the kidneys with urine, a small part of them is excreted with feces.
Indications for use
The use of Vesticap capsules is indicated during the complex treatment of Meniere's disease, which is accompanied by a number of symptoms of vestibular disorders:
- Severe dizziness, which can be accompanied by nausea and periodic vomiting.
- Decreased acuity of hearing.
- The appearance of noise in the ears.
Also, the drug is used for symptomatic treatment of dizziness, vestibular disorders in other pathological conditions of the body - motion sickness in transport, "seasickness", chronic circulatory disturbances in the brain with atherosclerosis of its arterial vessels or vegetovascular dystonia.
Contraindications for use
There are several pathological and physiological conditions of the human body, in which the use of the drug is contraindicated, they include:
- Individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to betahistin or excipients of Vestipap capsules.
- Pregnancy at any time and period of breastfeeding - the absence of a negative effect of the main active substance of the drug, the developing fetus and the infant is not reliably proven.
- Children under 18 years.
- Congenital or acquired intolerance of lactose, associated with a deficiency of the enzyme of the digestive system of lactase.
- Pheochromocytoma - a benign hormone that produces a tumor of the adrenal medulla, which leads to an increase in the level of adrenaline in the body.
With caution, the drug is used in the case of concomitant pathology of the digestive system, especially with peptic ulcer of the stomach or duodenum, with hepatic or renal insufficiency.
Dosing and Administration
Capsules Vesticap are taken orally during or after food, without chewing and drinking with sufficient water. During food intake, the bioavailability and absorption of the active substance of the drug into the blood from the lumen of the stomach and intestines is improved. A single dose is 8-16 mg, which is taken 2-3 times a day at the same time intervals. The course of the drug is determined individually depending on the severity of the pathology and vestibular disorders, on average, it is 1-3 months. It is believed that the timely use of capsules Vesticap in Meniere's disease can prevent the development of hearing loss or deafness associated with the damage to the inner ear.
The use of Vesticap capsules can lead to the development of side effects and negative reactions from various organs and systems:
- The digestive system - nausea, periodic vomiting, loosening of the stool. Less often, pain in the abdomen, its swelling (flatulence) develops.
- The central nervous system is a headache that can have an intense paroxysmal character.
- Allergic reactions - skin rashes, their itching or urticaria (a characteristic rash and swelling that resemble a nettle burn) can often appear. Angioneurotic edema of Quincke develops less often (pronounced edema of the skin and subcutaneous tissue in the face and external genital organs) or anaphylactic shock (progressive decrease in systemic arterial pressure and multiple organ failure).
In the case of side effects, the drug is discontinued, usually after this, negative reactions disappear. The development of side effects on the part of the digestive system and the gastrointestinal tract provokes the reception of Vestap capsules on an empty stomach.
Before you start taking Vesticap capsules, you should read the instructions carefully. There are several specific indications regarding the use of this drug:
- The therapeutic effect does not develop immediately, but after a period of time not less than a month from the beginning of taking capsules Vesticap.
- The drug is used with caution in the elderly, if necessary, the dosage adjustment is performed.
- In the case of concomitant diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (in particular peptic ulcer of the stomach or duodenum), liver, renal failure, periodic laboratory monitoring of the level of indicators of the functional activity of these organs is carried out.
- Vestihibo capsules do not directly affect the speed of psychomotor reactions and concentration of attention.
In pharmacies, the drug is dispensed without a prescription. In case of any questions or doubts about taking Vesticap capsules, you should consult your doctor.
If the recommended therapeutic dose is exceeded during the application of Vesticap capsules, symptoms of an overdose develop - nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, drowsiness. With a significant overdose, especially in combination with other drugs or alcohol, convulsions and loss of consciousness develop. In case of overdosage, gastric, intestinal and symptomatic washing is performed.
The analogues of Vesticap capsules according to the active substance and the pharmacological, clinical effect are Vestibo, Betagis, Betagistin, Betanorm.
Terms and conditions of storage
The shelf life of Vesicap capsules is 3 years from the date of manufacture. The drug should be stored in a dark, dry place inaccessible to children at an air temperature of not more than + 25 ° C.
The average cost of the drug in pharmacies in Moscow depends on the dosage of the drug and is:
- 8 mg - 139-146 rubles.
- 16 mg - 229-243 rubles.
- 24 mg - 337-345 rubles.