Vermox user's manual
Vermox tablets refer to the pharmacological group of medicines - anthelmintic drugs. The main active substance of the drug mebendazole leads to the death of various types of helminths, therefore these tablets are used for etiotropic therapy of the corresponding helminthiases in children and adults. The drug is most effective against the causative agents of trichocephalosis and enterobiosis.
Form of issue and composition
Vermox tablets are round in shape and white in color. The main active substance is contained in the amount of 100 mg, and also includes auxiliary components, which include:
- Silica colloidal - 1.5 mg.
- Sodium laurisulphate 0.5 mg.
- Magnesium stearate - 3 mg.
- Talcum - 9 mg.
- Sodium Natrium is 5 mg.
- Cornstarch is 71 mg.
- Lactose monohydrate is 110 mg.
Vermox tablets are packaged in a blister for 3 pieces. Cardboard pack contains 2 blisters and instruction on the use of the drug.
Many people are interested in the question: how does Vermox act on the worms, how does it later emerge from their body. The main active substance of Vermox tablets is mebendazole. This substance selectively blocks the synthesis of the cellular protein tubulin helminths, which leads to a violation of the absorption and adsorption of nutrients (in particular glucose) and the development of energy hunger, followed by the death of the parasite and its excretion through the intestine. Also mebendazole inhibits the synthesis of ATP molecules (adenosine triphosphate acid - the main battery of cell energy) of helminth cells, which aggravates their energy starvation. The active substance of Vermox tablets has a wide range of action against most helminths, causative agents of parasitosis (helminthiases). The most active drug destroys helminths pathogens trichocephaliasis and ascariasis.
After taking Vermox tablets inside, mebendazole is absorbed into the blood in a small amount, where it immediately binds to plasma proteins and is metabolized in the liver to intermediate decay products. Most of the active substance is excreted from the intestine with a caloric mass, about 10% - by the kidneys with urine.
Indications for use
Vermox tablets are indicated for the treatment of parasitic diseases caused by various types of helminths, these include:
- Ascaridosis - parasitizing in the intestine of ascarids (representatives of the class of roundworms).
- Trichocephalus is an enteric helminthiasis of the class of roundworms.
- Enterobiosis - helminthiosis caused by pinworms (belong to the class of roundworms), which parasitize in the lower parts of the intestine, mainly in children.
- Ankylostomidosis is an intestinal parasite with predominant localization in the duodenum, refers to roundworms, often leading to the development of anemia (anemia).
- Trichinosis is a helminth of the class of nematodes, characterized by parasitism of larvae in muscles and internal organs.
- Teniosis and cysticercosis - parasitizing in the intestine of a pork chain, which can be in the form of an adult or a larval stage.
- Alveococcosis is a helminthiasis caused by larvae of a flat worm that parasitize the liver.
- Echinococcosis - has a certain similarity with alveococcosis, mainly affects the liver and lungs.
- Capillary disease is a pathology caused by minute helminths by capillaries.
- Gnatostomosis is the parasitizing of small helminths of the class of nematodes, which lead to the formation of characteristic nodules in the skin.
Also, the use of Vermox tablets is indicated for mixed helminthiasis caused by several parasites.
Contraindications for use
Receiving pills Vermox is contraindicated in a number of pathological and physiological conditions of the body, which include:
- Individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to mebendazole or other auxiliary components of the drug.
- Crohn's disease is a chronic, nonspecific inflammatory process in the large intestine.
- Nonspecific ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the mucous membrane of the colon with the formation of ulcers and erosions.
- The presence of liver failure.
- Pregnancy at any time and breastfeeding.
- Children up to 2 years.
Before using Vermox tablets, you should make sure that there are no contraindications.
Dosing and Administration
Vermox tablets are taken whole by mouth, without chewing, washed down with a small amount of water. Dosage depends on the age and type of helminth that led to the development of pathology:
- Adults and children older than 2 years with enterobiosis - 100 mg (1 tablet) once a day, with mixed helminthoses - 100 mg 2 times a day, for 3 days. If the symptoms of helminthiosis persist, the course of treatment is repeated after 3 weeks.
- Children older than 14 years and adults - with mixed helminthiases and enterobiasis the scheme and dosage of the drug is the same. With echinococcosis, the dose is much higher - 500 mg (5 tablets) 2 times a day for the first 3 days, then the dose is increased to 500 mg 3 times a day for 3 more days. In the future, if necessary, the dose can be increased to 1000-1500 mg 3 times a day. The average course of treatment at the same time is 4-6 weeks (with parasitism of Echinococcus multilocularis echinococcus course is long, up to 2 years).
For treatment trichinosis drug taking such circuit - Day 1 200-300 mg 3 times a day, day 2 - 200-300 mg 4 times a day, the 3rd day on the 14th day - 500 mg 3 times a day. Ascariasis, taeniasis, ankilostomidoze, trihotsefaleze, strongyloidiasis recommended application scheme - 100 mg 2 times a day (morning and evening) for 3 days.
In parallel, it is recommended to take preventive medication for family members or close people who also have a chance of getting helminthiasis.
After taking Vermox tablets, it is possible to develop side effects in the form of headache, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Seldom develop allergic reactions in the form of a rash on the skin, itching or urticaria (a characteristic rash on the skin and its swelling, reminiscent of a nettle burn). If high dosages are used, liver disorders can be developed that indicate damage to hepatocytes (increased levels of hepatic transaminase enzymes in the blood). A long course of treatment with the drug is the cause of leukopenia (a decrease in the number of leukocytes in the blood). In case of side effects, the drug should be discontinued and seek medical attention.
Before taking Vermox tablets, you should carefully read the instructions. There are several specific indications regarding the use of the drug, which include:
- When using Vermox tablets in patients with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, the need for insulin decreases, this must be taken into account to prevent the development of hypoglycemia (a significant decrease in blood sugar levels).
- After passing the course of treatment, it is necessary to conduct a laboratory control of its effectiveness (analysis of feces for helminth eggs or other studies).
- With a long course of taking Vermox tablets periodic laboratory monitoring of the functional state of the liver, kidneys and red bone marrow is carried out.
- When taking the drug in any dosage, drinking alcohol is excluded.
- It is not recommended to combine the intake of Vermox tablets with drugs that have the ability to accumulate in adipose tissue.
- Special dietary recommendations or the use of laxatives during the intake of tablets Vermox do not need to perform.
- The drug does not affect the concentration of attention and the speed of psychomotor reactions.
In the pharmacy network Vermox tablets are dispensed without a prescription. However, it is recommended to use the drug only as directed by the doctor, in order to avoid an overdose or the development of side effects.
If the recommended therapeutic dose is significantly exceeded, the development of headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain may occur. In this case, the drug is stopped, gastric, intestinal and symptomatic washing is performed.
Analogues on the therapeutic effect for Vermox tablets are Albenzol, Mebendazole, Wormil.
Terms and conditions of storage
Shelf life of the drug from the date of manufacture is 5 years. Keep Vermox tablets in a dark, dry place inaccessible to children in the temperature range from +15 to +30 ° C.
The average cost of Vermox tablets in pharmacies in Moscow is 89-91 rubles.