Ventolin aerosol user guide
Ventolin is a bronchodilator of the β-2 adrenomimetic group.
Form of issue and composition
Ventolin is available in the form of a dosed solution for inhalation. The solution is a suspension of white or almost white color. 1 bottle of aerosol is designed for 200 doses of the drug. Aluminum inhalers are equipped with a plastic dispenser and a protective cap, with instructions placed in cardboard packages.
The main active ingredient is micronized sulfate salbutamol sulfate. One dose contains 120.5 μg of salbutamol sulfate, which corresponds to 100 μg of salbutamol.
Auxiliary components: propellant.
Pharmacodynamics. The drug belongs to selective agonists of β-2 adrenergic receptors. When used in therapeutic doses, it affects the bronchial receptors. It has little or no effect on β-1 adrenoreceptors of the heart muscle. It has a bronchodilating effect, it stops or prevents a spasm of the smooth muscles of the bronchi. Reduces resistance in the airways, increases the vital capacity of the lungs. Increases mucociliary clearance (up to 36% - with chronic bronchitis), activates the production of bronchial mucus, stimulates the function of ciliary epithelium of the bronchi.
When used in recommended dosages does not affect the cardiovascular system, does not cause arterial hypertension. Causes the enlargement of the coronary arteries.
Salbutamol affects some metabolic processes. Namely:
- affects glycogenesis and insulin secretion;
- lowers the level of potassium in the blood plasma;
- has lipolytic and hyperglycemic (especially asthmatics) action;
- increases the likelihood of developing acidosis.
Pharmacokinetics. The drug begins to act 5 minutes after inhalation, the maximum therapeutic effect occurs after 30-90 minutes (while for 5 minutes 75% of the therapeutic effect is achieved). The average duration of the therapeutic effect is 4 to 6 hours.
The lower parts of the respiratory tract reaches 10-20% of the active substance from the entire administered dose. The rest falls into the oropharynx, swallows, settles on the inhaler. Salbutamol from the lower parts of the respiratory system is absorbed into the blood and lung tissue (but in the lungs it is not metabolized).
Salbutamol, trapped in the digestive tract, is broken down in the liver with the formation of inactive metabolites. About 10% of the active substance binds to blood plasma proteins. The drug is excreted unchanged and in the form of metabolites for the most part kidneys, a small amount - through the intestine. Most of the dose of salbutamol is excreted for 72 hours.
Indications for use
Ventolin is recommended for treatment:
- bronchial asthma;
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with reversible airway obstruction;
- chronic bronchitis.
In bronchial asthma Ventolin is prescribed for:
- relief of asthma attacks, including acute exacerbations of the disease;
- prevention of asthma attacks caused by physical exertion or exposure to an allergen;
- long-term maintenance treatment as part of complex therapy.
Contraindications to the use of Ventolin are:
- preterm delivery;
- threatening abortion;
- hypersensitivity to the components of the drug;
- children under 2 years.
Dosing and Administration
Ventolin is used for inhalation.
The ineffectiveness of therapy and the increased demand for salbutamol may indicate an exacerbation of bronchial asthma. In this case, it is recommended to revise the treatment regimen and consider the expediency of simultaneous application of glucocorticosteroids.
Exceeding the recommended dosage can lead to the development of serious side effects, so the doctor must take the decision to increase the therapeutic dosages or the frequency of application of Ventolin.
Coping an attack of bronchial asthma
For adults, the recommended dose is 100 or 200 μg.
Children are prescribed 100 mcg (in severe cases - 200 mcg) of salbutamol.
Multiplicity of application - not more than 4 times a day.
The need for frequent introduction of maximum single doses of the drug or an increase in the frequency of admission indicates a worsening of the disease.
Prevention of bronchospasm due to exercise or exposure to an allergen
Adults recommend the inhalation of 200 μg of salbutamol 15 minutes before the expected load or contact with the allergen. The dosage for children is 100 μg, but if necessary, it can be increased to 200 μg.
Prolonged maintenance therapy
Adults and children are prescribed up to 200 μg of salbutamol 4 times a day.
Before the first use of aerosol or after a long break in treatment (a week or more), it is recommended to remove the cap from the mouthpiece, squeezing it from both sides to shake the inhaler well. Make 2 sprays in the air to assess the health of the device.
The use of Ventolin can cause a number of undesirable side effects from various body systems. Namely:
- on the part of the respiratory system - paradoxical bronchospasm (drug is canceled, immediate treatment is performed);
- from the cardiovascular system - tachycardia , arrhythmias, peripheral vasodilation, hypotension, collapse;
- from the side of the nervous system - headache, tremor, hyperactivity;
- on the part of the digestive system - irritation of the mucous membranes of the oral cavity and nose;
- from the musculoskeletal system - muscle cramps .
- from the side of metabolism - hypokalemia;
- hypersensitivity reactions - urticaria , angioedema , bronchospasm.
In case of an overdose of salbutamol, the β-adrenergic receptors of not only the bronchi but also other organs are affected. As a result, there are transient side effects - tachycardia, muscle tremors, lowering of blood pressure, nausea and vomiting. When large doses of salbutamol are administered, hypokalemia may develop, so it is recommended that the level of potassium in the blood plasma be monitored during treatment.
Treatment of poisoning with salbutamol is symptomatic. The drug is canceled, cardioselective blockers of β-adrenergic receptors are prescribed (with tachycardia, palpitation sensation).
When appointing and applying Ventolin, it is important to take into account the following points:
- therapy of bronchial asthma should be carried out in stages, under constant monitoring of the effectiveness of the prescribed therapy;
- increase in the need for the number of inhalations or the use of higher doses indicates the aggravation of the disease (it may be expedient to concurrently prescribe glucocorticosteroids);
- Ventolin should not be the only / basic drug in the treatment of asthma unstable or severe;
- during the treatment, it is necessary to control the potassium content in the blood, since the use of salbutamol can cause the development of hypokalemia (especially in patients with severe asthma attacks taking simultaneously xanthine derivatives, diuretics, corticosteroids);
- if the therapeutic effect does not occur within 3 hours after inhalation, you need to see a doctor;
- there is no data on the influence of Ventolin on the speed of psychomotor reactions, the ability to drive a vehicle and other mechanisms;
- on indications Ventolin can be used in children older than 2 years.
Caution Ventolin is used in patients with certain concomitant pathologies. It:
- chronic heart failure in severe form;
- arterial hypertension;
- Decompensated diabetes mellitus;
- renal insufficiency in the anamnesis.
- It is not recommended simultaneous application of Ventoline with nonselective blockers of β-adrenergic receptors (propranolol and others);
- Ventolin can be administered simultaneously with MAO inhibitors;
- Ventolin enhances the effect of CNS stimulants in patients with thyrotoxicosis;
- when combining Ventolin with xanthines (theophylline, etc.), the risk of developing tachyarrhythmia increases;
- with the simultaneous administration of salbutamol with anticholinergics (including inhalation forms), intraocular pressure may increase;
- hypokalemic effect of salbutamol is enhanced with simultaneous use with diuretics, glucocorticosteroids.
Pregnancy and lactemia
During pregnancy, Ventolin is prescribed only in situations where the expected benefit to the mother exceeds the potential threat to the fetus. Rarely the use of Ventolin by a pregnant woman caused the development of vices in the child (development of limbs, "wolf mouth"). However, in these cases, patients along with Ventolin took other drugs. Accordingly, there is no precise data on the effects of Ventolin on the fetus.
Ventolin penetrates into breast milk. On the impact of salbutamol on the body of a child who is breastfed, there is no precise data. Therefore, the drug is not recommended for use during lactation. If you need aerosol treatment, you need to stop breastfeeding.
The complete structural analogues of Ventolin containing salbutamol are preparations: Salamol Eco light breathing, Salbutamol, Salbutamol Teva, Astalin.
Terms and conditions of storage
Aerosol for inhalation Ventolin is stored in a place protected from direct sunlight, inaccessible to children. Optimal temperature - up to 30 ° C, the drug should not be frozen. Shelf life of aerosol is 2 years. Do not use the medication after the expiration date printed on the package.
Ventolin aerosol for inhalation - 130-168 rub.