Vasilip instructions for use
- Vasilip instructions for use
Vasilip is a drug whose therapeutic effect is to reduce the level of lipids in the blood.
Release form and composition of the drug
The preparation Vasilip is produced in the form of tablets coated with a special film coating with a dosage of the main active ingredient - 10.20 and 40 mg. The active ingredient of the drug is simvastatin, the tablet also includes a number of auxiliary components - starch, lactose, ascorbic acid, magnesium stearate and others.
Pharmacological properties of the drug
Tablets are intended for ingestion. After entering the gastrointestinal tract, the active ingredient of the drug is absorbed by the mucous membranes into the bloodstream.
Tablets have a pronounced hypolipidemic effect, that is, reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood. Patients with atherosclerosis and high blood pressure, on the background of this, noted a significant improvement in their condition after a course of therapy with this drug.
Long-term use of the drug has a beneficial effect on the condition of large blood vessels, improves heart function, and prevents the risk of myocardial infarction or ischemic cerebral stroke.
Indications for use
Vasilip tablets prescribed to patients for the treatment and prevention of the following conditions:
- Elevated blood cholesterol;
- Atherosclerosis of large arteries, with the result that the blood supply to vital organs and systems is deteriorating;
- Preventing the development of heart attacks and strokes in people at risk - overweight patients, people with a predominance of carbohydrates and over-fatty foods in the diet, patients with a genetic predisposition to hypercholesterolemia;
- Prevention of recurrent heart attacks and ischemic strokes in patients with severe atherosclerosis or diabetes mellitus.
This drug is contraindicated according to the instructions for oral administration if the patient has such conditions:
- Individual intolerance to the components of the drug;
- Severe damage to the liver or a significant increase in liver transaminases of unknown etiology;
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Age up to 18 years.
Dosage and administration
Vasilip tablets are applied once a day at bedtime at a dosage of 5 to 80 mg, depending on the patient's body weight, age, individual characteristics of the body and the severity of symptoms of the disease. The minimum effective initial dose of the drug according to the instructions is 10 mg, but everything must be calculated by the doctor strictly on an individual basis. The maximum daily dose is 80 mg, but it is prescribed only to patients with severe vascular and heart diseases, severe atherosclerosis and hypercholesterolemia who are in the risk group for the development of strokes and heart attacks. The duration of the treatment period is also individually determined by the doctor.
With a diagnosed elevated level of cholesterol in the patient's blood, along with taking Vasilip tablets, one should also follow a diet. The initial daily dose of the drug to patients with elevated levels of cholesterol and fat in the blood is 10 mg, but in some cases, under the supervision of a physician, it can be increased to 40 mg.
In order to prevent the development of heart attacks and strokes in patients at risk, Vasilip is prescribed 20–40 mg once a day, the duration of therapy is determined by the attending physician.
Use of the drug during pregnancy and lactation
Vasilip tablets are contraindicated for the treatment of women awaiting childbirth. In medicine, there is no accurate data on the safety of the influence of the main active ingredient of the drug on the fetus.
If a woman is planning a pregnancy and is being treated with this drug, then the therapy should be canceled and inform the doctor about the recent reception of Vasilip.
There is no reliable data on whether the active ingredient of the drug penetrates into breast milk and what effect it can have on the infant's body, therefore, during lactation, this drug is not prescribed to women. If you need a course of Vasilip therapy, it is recommended that a nursing woman stop lactation and transfer the baby to the formula.
In most cases, this drug is normally tolerated by patients, provided the dose is properly selected. In some cases, the following side effects may develop:
- On the part of the nervous system - insomnia, emotional overexcitement, feeling of "crawling goosebumps" on the skin, cramps , headaches or dizziness;
- From the groans of the digestive system - constipation, abdominal pain, increased gas, nausea, rarely vomiting, increased liver transaminases in the blood;
- On the part of the musculoskeletal system - muscle pain, weakness in the legs, myopathy;
- Allergic reactions - skin rash, angioedema , sensation of heat in the face, facial flushing, vasculitis, increasing weakness and a drop in blood pressure.
With a significant excess of the dose specified in the instructions or uncontrolled independent use of the drug, the patient quickly develops symptoms of overdose:
- Severe nausea and uncontrollable vomiting;
- Stomach ache;
- Growing weakness;
- Tachycardia and shortness of breath;
- The development of renal failure.
With the development of such symptoms, the patient must be urgently taken to a doctor. He is given a gastric lavage, symptomatic treatment, monitored with the help of equipment and analyzes of the function of the liver and kidneys.
This drug should be prescribed with special care to patients with existing diagnosed liver or kidney diseases, electrolyte imbalance, patients with severe disorders of the endocrine organs, in particular the pancreas and thyroid gland.
Since lactose is part of the drug, patients with lactase deficiency or galactosemia should be especially cautious. Tablets should not be taken simultaneously with verapamil, nicotinic acid or fenofirbatom.
Storage and release conditions
The drug is released in pharmacies by prescription. The shelf life of tablets is 3 years from the date of manufacture. At the end of this period, the drug can not be taken orally. Keep should be protected from children at a temperature not exceeding 25 degrees.
The average cost of the drug Vasilip in pharmacies in Moscow is 150-300 rubles, depending on the number of tablets per pack.