Valvir instructions for use
- Valvir instructions for use
Valvir is a drug designed to combat the most dangerous viruses for humans.
Release form and composition
Valvir drug produced in the form of tablets. Each tablet has an oval, biconvex shape and film-coated. The pill color is white. If the tablet has 500 mg of active substance, then on the one hand it is labeled VC2, if the concentration is 1000 mg, then on one side is labeled VC3.
The main active ingredient is valaciclovir hydrochloride hydrate in the amount of 611.70 mg or 1223.40 mg - this corresponds to 500 mg and 1000 mg of valacyclovir.
As excipients use povidone K30, microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate.
Once in the human body, valaciclovir turns into acyclovir and L-valine.
Acyclovir is active against viruses, destroying their DNA.
Patients with severe immunity disorders (receiving chemotherapy, HIV-infected, patients with a bone marrow transplant), viruses have a reduced sensitivity to valacyclovir.
Valaciclovir is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract.
Acyclovir, which is formed after valaciclovir is ingested, is distributed in the lungs, muscles, liver and kidneys. It also enters the cerebrospinal fluid, the secret of the vagina and the fluid of herpetic vesicles.
Valaciclovir is excreted in the urine.
Indications for use
- therapy of labile herpes;
- herpes zoster therapy;
- prevention and treatment of recurrent infections of mucous membranes and skin caused by the herpes simplex virus;
- shows effect in the prevention of cytomegalovirus infection, which occurs during organ transplantation;
- reduces infection of a healthy partner with genital herpes.
The drug is not recommended for use in kidney and bone marrow transplantation; in severe HIV infection; in the presence of individual intolerance to the components of the drug; children's age up to 12 years.
Dosing regimen and method of application
The drug is intended for oral administration, is prescribed only for adults with the following diseases:
- herpes zoster - a course of treatment for 7 days 1 gr. 3 times a day.
- herpes simplex - 0.5 gr. 2 times a day. Relapses require a course of treatment in 3-5 days. If therapy is carried out for the first time, the duration of the medication should be up to 10 days.
- labial herpes therapy should be carried out as follows: 1 day - 2 g 2 times, the next dose is taken after 12 hours.
- prevention of recurrence of infections that are caused by the herpes simplex virus - with preserved immunity prescribed 0.5 g 1 time per day; with frequent relapses (10 times a year or more), 0.25 g 2 times a day is prescribed; with immunodeficiency appoint 0.5 g 2 times a day. Duration of treatment is from 4 to 12 months.
- prevention of infection of a healthy partner with genital herpes - if a heterosexual adult is infected who has preserved immunity and the number of exacerbations 9 times a year, then 0.5 g is administered once a day for a year. With regular sex life, the drug should be taken every day. If the sexual contact is irregular, then Valvir should be taken 3 days before the intended sexual contact.
- Prevention of cytomegalovirus infection - adolescents from 12 years of age and adults are prescribed 2 g 4 times a day (treatment should be started immediately after transplantation). Duration of treatment is 90 days. In patients at high risk, therapy may be longer.
Determination of the dose of the drug also depends on the rate of creatinine clearance (CC). Patients who undergo hemodialysis should start taking the drug as soon as possible after the procedure.
If the patient has moderate or poorly expressed cirrhosis of the liver while maintaining the synthetic function, no dosage adjustment of the drug is required. There is no need to adjust the dose and in severe liver cirrhosis. But it should be borne in mind that experience with this pathology is limited.
In old age, no dose adjustment is required. The exception is a significant impaired renal function.
Data on overdose with valaciclovir is currently insufficient.
When the drug is consumed in doses exceeding the therapeutic norm, the following overdose symptoms may appear:
- if a single dose is higher than normal up to 20 g, then the drug does not have a toxic effect;
- If an ultra-high dose is taken for several days, then a headache, nausea, vomiting, confusion appears.
In case of overdose, symptomatic treatment is necessary.
During clinical studies, no significant interaction was found.
Pregnancy and lactation
Experience in the use of the drug during pregnancy is not enough. Appointment of valacyclovir is recommended only when the therapeutic effect for the mother is higher than the possible risk to the fetus.
Valvira's metabolite, acyclovir, is excreted in breast milk. Breastfeeding is allowed only when the effect of treatment for the mother is significantly higher than the perceived risk to the child.
The most common adverse reactions are nausea and headache. Serious side effects include neurological disorders, acute renal failure, thrombocytopenic purpura, uremic syndrome.
: тромбоцитопения и лейкопения. On the part of the lymphatic system and blood : thrombocytopenia and leukopenia.
: дискомфорт или боль в животе, тошнота, рвота, диарея. On the part of the digestive system : discomfort or pain in the abdomen, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
On the part of the psyche and the nervous system: aggressive behavior, confusion, dizziness, mental decline, hallucinations. Very rarely, tremor, agitation, dysarthria, ataxia, depression, mania, coma, encephalopathy, convulsions are possible. These symptoms are reversible and occur in patients with kidney disease.
: анафилаксия. Immune system : anaphylaxis.
: зуд, высыпания. From the subcutaneous tissue and skin : itching, rash.
: диспноэ. On the part of the respiratory system : dyspnea.
: нарушение функции почек, почечная колика, острая почечная недостаточность. On the part of the urinary system : renal dysfunction, renal colic, acute renal failure.
It is also possible visual impairment, lowering of hemoglobin, anemia, increased blood pressure, swelling of the face, respiratory tract infections, fatigue, tachycardia .
If side effects occur on the part of the central nervous system (delirium, hallucinations, convulsions), the drug should be discontinued.
In the presence of renal failure increases the risk of neurological complications.
Dosage adjustment of the drug can not be carried out with moderate or weak liver cirrhosis and other liver dysfunction. Also, do not require dose adjustment in elderly patients. The exception is elderly patients with significant impaired renal function.
There is no clinical experience with valacyclovir in pediatrics.
If the side effects of medication associated with psychomotor reactions are manifested, then it is necessary to be careful when driving vehicles and controlling machinery.
Terms and conditions of storage
The drug Valvir must be stored in a place inaccessible to children, at a temperature of 25 g C.
Analogs on the active substance: Valaciclovir, Valtrex
Valvir tablets 500mg 660-720 rubles, 10 pieces
Valvir tablets 1000mg 680-730 rub., 7 pieces