Gray tongue coating
The appearance of a gray plaque on the surface of the tongue should alert the person and be a reason for a prompt visit to the gastroenterologist. Of course, not every shade of plaque signals the presence of problems in the body, but it is worthwhile to consult with a specialist.
Especially a person should be alerted by the density of plaque, the stronger it is, the more serious the problems in the body. If the gray plaque is easily removed from the surface of the tongue during the hygienic procedures of the oral cavity, then most likely this signals an ordinary slagging of the body and does not pose a threat to life. However, if the plaque is not removed and is present on the surface of the tongue around the clock, intensifying after a night of sleep, then it is worth thoroughly examined.
Causes of gray bloom in the tongue
Gastroenterologists identify the main causes of the appearance of gray plaque on the surface of the tongue:
- Respiratory diseases - pneumonia, bronchitis , tracheitis can cause the appearance of such changes in the surface of the tongue. As a rule, after a person recovers, all these phenomena disappear without a trace and the tongue again becomes pink.
- Medication - long-term therapy with antibiotics or hormonal drugs leads to a change in the intestinal microflora (intestinal dysbiosis ), which can cause plaque on the tongue. Sometimes, for the prevention of such phenomena, the doctor prescribes probiotic preparations and immunomodulators to the patient in order to normalize the bowels and increase the body's defenses.
- Inflammation of the oropharynx - for example, exacerbation of chronic tonsillitis or pharyngitis may affect the appearance of the tongue. Gray bloom appears predominantly in the morning and disappears after the toilet of the oral cavity.
- Reduced immunity - with frequent viral and infectious diseases in humans appears plaque on the tongue. This is due to the multiplication of pathogenic bacteria and is easily eliminated when taking immunostimulants and vitamin complexes.
- Lack of habit to brush your teeth - poor oral hygiene can be one of the reasons for the appearance of gray bloom and unpleasant smell from the mouth. Teeth cleaning twice a day helps to solve the problem, and the use of antiseptic mouthwash for the oral cavity, which not only eliminates unpleasant odor and plaque. But also prevent its re-education.
- Dehydration of the body - gray bloom can signal insufficient fluid flow into the body, and that is pure water, not tea, juice, and the like. As a rule, the accompanying symptoms of dehydration are added to this change in the tongue - dry skin and mucous membranes, a tendency to constipation, irritability and fatigue.
What to do and where to go?
In order to combat the appearance of a gray tint on the surface of the tongue, it is necessary to establish the cause of this state. To do this, a person needs to turn to a therapist. The doctor will prescribe the necessary tests and give directions to consult narrow specialists. Treatment depends on the diagnosis:
- If pathologies on the part of the respiratory organs are detected, the patient may require antibiotics or antiviral agents.
- For disorders of the digestive canal - choleretic, anatacides, probiotics or enzymes.
- When dehydrating the body, a person needs only to establish a drinking regime and consume less salty food.
- By reducing the body's defenses, immunostimulants and vitamin complexes are prescribed.
It is very important not to self-medicate, since the cause of gray plaque can be serious diseases of internal organs that cannot be cured by folk methods. In addition, the body can react unpredictably to such experiments and the patient's condition will deteriorate significantly.
- White bloom on the tongue of a child: the reasons
- White plaque on the tongue: causes, treatment
- Brown patina on tongue
- Green patina on tongue
- Black patina on the tongue
- Yellow patina on tongue