Thrush in men photos, symptoms, treatment
- A bit about the pathogen
- Causes of thrush in men
- Symptoms of thrush men
- Diagnosis of thrush in men
- Treatment of thrush in men
Candidiasis ( thrush ) is a disease that many have heard of. Most often it is referred to as female pathology, because the body of a woman is more predisposed to the development of this ailment due to its anatomical features. However, men are also not insured against this disease, which confirms the urgency of the problem and indicates the need for the population to have an idea about it.
A bit about the pathogen
Candida albicans is a fungus that belongs to yeast. Has an oval or round shape and does not form a true mycelium. Instead, the elongated cells form a pseudomycelia. Also fungi of this genus form spores, distinct from other representatives of fungi.
Normally, it is detected in 80% of people and peacefully coexists with the organism of its owner. It is present in the normal human microflora. If the body is healthy and the immune system is normal, then microorganisms do not represent absolutely no threat to humans.
Pathological multiplication of candidiasis in the body can begin when, for certain reasons, the immunity weakens (diseases, taking certain medications), another microflora weakens (associated with taking antibiotics), personal hygiene rules are not observed.
This yeast fungus is often the causative agent of opportunistic infections in HIV-positive patients. Often it is the cause of outbreaks of nosocomial infections. Therefore, one must understand that the candida is harmless only for healthy people and at any time can "go to the side of evil."
Causes of thrush in men
Particularly much Candida physicians are found in warm and humid places of the body, which include oral cavity and external genitalia. They are most often affected by candidiasis. In addition, doctors have to work with patients who, as a result of the multiplication of fungi, have a lesion of the skin or infection in the blood (the heaviest patients).
The disease can be identified in every tenth man who, for certain reasons, addresses for help to the dermatovenerologist. Many do not give their health due attention and continue to live in the usual rhythm, not paying attention to the symptoms of the disease. It is dangerous not only for the risk of complications, but also for the fact that such men pose a threat to their sexual partners: getting a lot of fungus at a time in a woman's vagina can provoke the disease in her.
Regardless of lifestyle, self-care, personal hygiene, individuals have a greater risk of developing candidiasis.
- Patients who have been diagnosed with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) are very often affected by candidiasis, and often die from it. The fact is that with this disease gradually develops the strongest immunodeficiency due to the defeat of individual leukocytes by viruses. As a result, the human body becomes more susceptible to the pathogens of various infections. If some microbes still need to be "found" in order to become infected, the fungus of the genus Candida is almost always near. As soon as immunity ceases to restrain their development, thrush develops.
Therefore, a dermatologist always remembers this fact and, in the presence of severe lesions of several anatomical areas, prescribes a diagnosis for the presence of HIV infection.
- Overweight is a real scourge of modern civilization. In developed countries, an increasing percentage of people have a body mass index exceeding the norm. This condition is always accompanied by a thickening of the skin - the habitat of fungi. Among other things, obese individuals sometimes have significant folds on their bodies, which makes it difficult to observe hygiene rules and predisposes to the reproduction of microorganisms.
- Patients with diabetes mellitus (both 1 and 2 types). Increase in blood glucose level always leads to an increase in its level in all tissues of the body. Skin is no exception and is also saturated with glucose. As a result, an excellent medium for the propagation of the pathogen is formed. In addition, diabetes mellitus leads to disruption of all kinds of metabolism in the body and a significant decrease in immunity.
Often a person does not know that he has diabetes mellitus, but at the same time he regularly struggles with manifestations of candidiasis. If there is thirst, frequent urge to urinate, the head is dizzy from time to time - it is likely that this is diabetes.
Causes of the disease
- Non-observance of the rules of personal hygiene leads to the fact that the sexual organs accumulate a significant amount of smegma - a good nutrient medium for microbes. Absence of a toilet of a sexual member thus does not prevent gradual progression of disease.
- Individual means of personal hygiene can themselves provoke the development of candidiasis. This applies to gels and soaps that can irritate the skin of the penis, its head. Inflamed tissue is more susceptible to the development of the disease.
- Reception of antibacterial drugs can lead to the fact that the balance of microflora in the body will be disturbed. As a result, fungi will not have natural competitors, and they will be able to multiply uncontrollably, causing thrush.
- Preparations based on adrenal hormones (prednisolone, etc.) are very effective substances that can significantly help a person in a difficult situation. However, they have many side effects, one of which is candidiasis of the oral cavity. Therefore, if long-term intake of these drugs is to be done, it is necessary to closely monitor your organism and, at the first necessity, to consult specialists.
- The presence of human immunodeficiency virus in the body.
- Other diseases affecting the immune system.
- Chemotherapy for malignant neoplasms also greatly reduces the body's ability to resist infectious agents.
- Transplantation of organs and tissues is accompanied by immunosuppressive therapy in order to suppress the body's own immunity. This is necessary in order for the transplanted organ to take root and not be rejected, normally performing the assigned function. Simultaneously, such treatment makes a person in some way vulnerable to many infections.
- A sharp change in climatic conditions and time zones is a serious strain on the body.
- Emotional and physical overexertion.
Symptoms of thrush men
Symptoms of the disease may differ depending on what kind of thrush is observed in the patient.
Candidiasis of the genitals
This form of the disease is the most common. It is with her doctors have to face most often.
- Redness of the foreskin surrounding the head of the penis, as well as the skin covering the head. This is due to the fact that the multiplication of bacteria provokes inflammation of the tissues.
- Swelling of the penis, especially in the head region. This can manifest itself in the form of difficulty in exposing the head and the difficult return of the prepuce to its original place.
- The penis is sensitive to external irritation, it often hurts even in complete rest.
- Under the foreskin, rough discharges with a curdiness consistency are found. Under the white film of secretions it is possible to detect red inflamed tissue of the penis, sometimes purulent lesions. If the patient does not observe the rules of personal hygiene, then it may not give the symptom a meaning: the smegma that accumulates in large quantities may also look similar.
- Itching in the genital area (especially strongly manifested on the head).
- Unpleasant smell coming from the penis.
- Cutting pain during urination is the result of irritation with urine of already inflamed tissues.
- Pain during sexual intercourse.
Candidiasis of the skin
This form develops in those places where the skin most of the time is collected in folds:
- Axillary hollows;
- Inguinal folds and perineum;
- The skin between the buttocks, near the anus;
- Gaps between toes.
At the initial stage, patients observe a small itchy rash, which gradually becomes more pronounced. The area of the affected skin gradually increases and, in the end, is covered with a specific cheesy separated, having a sour unpleasant smell. If we are talking about the skin between the toes, it becomes thick, but at the same time soft, easily slouches.
Candidiasis of the mouth
In adult men, this condition is relatively rare (only in the most severe cases). This is due to the fact that human saliva contains special substances that prevent the growth of colonies of fungi. However, sometimes patients also face such a problem.
Symptoms resemble those of other forms of the disease. At first the mucous membrane of the oral cavity becomes red and sensitive to irritation. After it becomes visible lesions, and there is a light coating on the tongue and other surfaces. When trying to clean it exposed inflamed mucous, sometimes bleeding (see photo).
Diagnosis of thrush in men
The causative agent of the disease is easy to identify. The doctor takes a wand with cotton wool and takes a small amount of a light coating from the affected areas. After that, microscopy and cultural methods of investigation are carried out, allowing to identify the pathogen. Symptoms of the disease are difficult to confuse with something else, especially if the patient has already been sick with thrush before.
If you recall the reasons that can cause thrush in men, it becomes clear that this disease in many cases is simply one of the symptoms of something more serious. Such a thought should be prompted by a regular relapse of the disease or a difficult treatment. Therefore, if necessary, the patient is advised by specialists in other diseases (endocrinologist, infectious disease specialist, immunologist, etc.). Sometimes it turns out that after the referral to the endocrinologist, the patient first learns that he has diabetes mellitus.
Treatment of thrush in men
Treating a disease, you always need to remember what became the cause of its development. Otherwise, the patient will again and again face candidiasis, suffer in this regard, have an inadequate quality of life.
Since it was a question of local forms of the disease, when the patient's skin was affected, it is better to treat people in such cases with local drugs. The modern pharmacological industry produces quite effective ointments and creams that contain antifungal agents (clotrimazole, ketoconazole, miconazole, econazole). They can be purchased without a doctor's prescription, but it is always necessary to consult a specialist beforehand.
Some patients during the use of the cream marked burning in the area of the affected skin. If this symptom is weakly expressed, then it is possible to continue treatment. Severe burning and irritation is a signal to stop using the cream and changing the drug. If it's been 2 weeks already, and the symptoms of the disease have not disappeared, then you need to contact a dermatologist in order to correct the treatment. It may be necessary to take more powerful drugs.
Among other things, you need:
- Carefully observe the rules of personal hygiene. Daily wash your genitals with warm water and soap.
- Carefully monitor blood glucose levels (patients with diabetes mellitus), which will prevent frequent recurrences of the disease.
- To consume enough vegetables and fruits, to lead a healthy lifestyle - this will ensure the normal functioning of the immune system.
- Be especially careful when taking chemotherapy drugs in cancer, immunosuppressive substances during organ transplantation.
- Thrush for breastfeeding
- Thrush in adolescent girls
- Douching for thrush: pros and cons
- Candles from thrush: a review of cheap and effective
- Thrush: symptoms and treatment
- Thrush in women: photos, causes, symptoms, treatment, drugs