Thrush for breastfeeding
- Features of thrush during lactation
- Treatment of thrush during breastfeeding
- Treating thrush with folk remedies
- Treatment of thrush on the nipples
- Prevention of thrush in the baby
Thrush is a frequent phenomenon during pregnancy. This has its own reasons, which are the drop in the immune status of a woman during this period. It often happens that a pregnant woman does not have time to completely get rid of it before delivery and the fight with this problem has to continue, already engaged in feeding a newborn baby.
Features of thrush during lactation
Thrush is one of the most serious complications of the postpartum period.
During breastfeeding, candidiasis gives the woman even more unpleasant sensations. In addition to the traditional symptoms of vulvovaginitis in the form of itching and burning of the external genital organs, their swelling, redness, and also characteristic abundant curdled vaginal discharge, the patient also experiences severe burning pain in the mammary glands and on the surface of the nipples. These symptoms are often attributed to the stagnation of milk and try to "distract" the nursing mother, which causes her even greater suffering. After the end of breastfeeding, the pains coming from the nipple inside the breast intensify, which in some cases even causes women to refuse breastfeeding.
Nipples with thrush become shiny, bright pink, sometimes with a white touch or a rash. They have a burning sensation and painful sensations due to contact with clothing. They often develop cracks, which, even if the baby is properly grasped by the baby, do not heal. In some cases, there is a decrease in the amount of breast milk.
Such a high sensitivity of the nipples can also be observed in connection with other causes. These include herpes, eczema and just the wrong attachment to the chest. If these factors are excluded, then apparently the patient has thrush.
Quite often the disease affects the baby. It manifests itself as a white coating on the tongue, gums or internal surfaces of the cheeks. The plaque has the form of spots with a reddish rim. At feeding the kid experiences painful sensations, shows anxiety, lets out a nipple and cries. Therefore, the disease must be treated both in the mother and in the child.
In addition, children can have skin manifestations in the inguinal areas. Usually it is a bright pink or red rash in the form of small pimples. Usually, care products for young children, created on the basis of various oils or starches, only aggravate these phenomena, because they serve as a favorable environment for the fungus.
Not only incomplete cure of candidiasis before childbirth is the reason for its presence in the postpartum period. At this time, there are many chances of getting sick again. The reasons for this are:
- early resumption of sexual activity;
- Strong stress obtained during childbirth;
- a sharp hormonal alteration of the body;
- the use of excessively aggressive means for intimate hygiene;
- taking antibiotics;
- a sedentary lifestyle that causes stagnation of blood in a small pelvis;
- chronic diseases of the intestine and genital organs.
Protective forces of the body as a result of stress, which is exposed to the body during childbirth, significantly weaken. Immunity will fully recover a little later, when the amount of milk decreases and the child begins to receive lure. In addition, after birth, the hormonal background changes dramatically. As a result, the pathogenic microflora, which had not previously manifested its presence, begins to develop rapidly, causing the disease.
Treatment of thrush during breastfeeding
Treatment of thrush during the period of breastfeeding is performed in two ways:
- the appointment of funds that destroy the fungus;
- the creation of an alkaline environment in order to suppress the subsequent development of the fungus.
Features of treatment of thrush during lactation is a limited choice of drugs, which is associated with the toxic effects of antifungal drugs on the body of the newborn. After all, the active substances of drugs have the property of penetrating into milk. Therefore, during the lactation period, the intake of medications inside is usually prescribed only in the most severe cases.
But even with topical application, some antifungal drugs can harm the baby. Therefore, only certain types of them are allowed.
Nursing mothers are at risk and according to prescription of local drugs containing antibiotics. This is due to the fact that candles and vaginal tablets with drugs of this group significantly reduce the required level of lactobacilli.
When treating thrush in nursing mothers, local antifungal agents are needed to kill the fungus parasitizing in the vaginal walls. Typically, this group of patients according to the general scheme prescribed Pimafucin. It is the least toxic and effectively destroys Candida fungi, it is available in the form of tablets and ointments. During lactation it is better to use ointment.
Another drug that can be used during breastfeeding is Terzhinan. It has antibacterial and antifungal action and is prescribed, usually before bedtime. In this slightly water-soaked tablet is placed in the vagina until complete dissolution.
Despite the fact that the symptoms of the disease pass in the first days after the beginning of treatment, the process of complete disposal of it is quite long. In order for the disease not to return, a full course of treatment is required, which lasts from 10 to 15 days.
Treating thrush with folk remedies
Since the choice of medicines that nursing mothers can use in candidiasis is limited, folk remedies can help them. Use them only by consulting a doctor. In the first place among them is baking soda. On 1/2 liters of warm boiled water put 2 teaspoons of soda. This solution rinses the affected area several times a day. It reduces itching, relieves redness and inflammation. It is also possible to carry out douches with this solution, which help create an alkaline environment inside the vagina and suppress the development of a fungal infection.
Similarly, you can apply infusion of camomile flowers. On 1/2 liters of boiling water take 2 teaspoons of dried flowers, insist for at least half an hour, then filter. Infusion is used in a warm form several times a day for rinsing the affected areas of the genitals, douching, lotions or trays.
In addition to the local remedies allowed for lactation, tea tree oil can also be used. 1-2 drops added to the bath with water, helps to calm the symptoms of the raging thrush. Some women have an increased sensitivity to it, so these sedentary baths should be done carefully, and the amount of oil should not exceed 1-2 drops.
Treatment of thrush on the nipples
To get rid of the manifestations of thrush on the nipples, a number of additional measures should be taken. To do this, it is sufficient to follow the following simple rules:
- Before each feeding, you should change disposable panty liners.
- Before feeding, painful nipples should be cooled with lotion.
- After each feeding, make air baths for the nipples for 10-15 minutes.
- To wash the nipples affected by the milkwoman with a soda solution, prepared from the calculation of 1 teaspoon of soda for a glass of boiled water, then the nipples are dried in air and lubricated with a nutritious cream.
- In addition to the soda solution for washing the nipples, you can use the throat ghee solution Hexorol, intended for children, it is recommended to repeat such procedures every 2 hours, after which the nipples should be greased with Rescuer or Purelan. A gauze cloth moistened with Hexorol solution can also wipe the baby's mouth.
- With severe nipple inflammation, you can apply to them 2-3 times a day a synthomycin emulsion or antifungal creams Clothrimazole or Nizoral, thoroughly flushing them before feeding.
If breastfeeding causes severe discomfort, you can reduce their duration, but increase the frequency.
With unbearable pain, delivered by feeding, you can treat the nipples with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, drain the milk into a sterile bottle, from which to feed the baby. This should be done until the mother is fully recovered. Treatment of thrush during lactation is urgent and delayed, since blockage of the milk ducts can cause mastitis.
But treatment of manifestations on the nipples of a lactating woman will not be effective unless the child is treated in parallel. For this purpose, you need to contact the pediatrician. In addition, all the means that the nursing mother herself uses must also be coordinated with the child's doctor, because when treating a milkwife localized on the nipples it is important not to harm the child by using too active substances.
Of course, it is not always possible to avoid the disease, but this must necessarily strive. Sometimes it is easier to take preventive measures than to treat constantly recurrent thrush. Such measures include:
- wearing of natural fabrics;
- use of special means for intimate hygiene;
- refusal of application for external washing of usual soap;
- refusal to swim in ponds of doubtful purity;
- restriction of the use of sweets;
- more frequent change of pads in the period of postpartum discharge and menstruation;
- refusal to use deodorized tampons, pads and flavored toilet paper.
The likelihood of the disease is increased in cases of milkmaids in people with diabetes and anemia, as well as in women who are forced to take antibiotics, corticosteroids, and hormonal contraceptives for a long time.
It is characteristic that the growth of fungal flora can be facilitated not only by insufficiently frequent washing of the genitals, but also by excessive washing. The leaching of beneficial bacteria that results as a result of it disrupts the vaginal microflora and alters the imbalance in favor of fungi. Frequent use of foam for bathroom, flavored varieties of soap, spermicides works in the same way.
Prevention of thrush in the baby
With the development of painful phenomena in a child, the treatment for him will be appointed by the pediatrician who watches him. Usually those ointments that a woman uses to treat the nipples will also work for treating the affected inguinal areas in the child. If the mother already has thrush, and the child has no signs of it yet, in order to protect it in the future, preventive measures should be taken especially carefully. They consist in the enhanced implementation of hygiene rules:
- remove the leftover milk from the mouth of the baby after feeding;
- boil all the objects that can get into the mouth to the baby;
- to abandon the use of children's wet wipes.
To remove the remnants of milk from the baby's mouth, you need to wrap a gauze cloth moistened with soda solution or a solution of nystatin drops onto your finger. Do this until the mother is healthy. The same procedure is usually prescribed in the treatment of a child. It takes about 10 days.
To boil things that can get into the mouth of a child you need at least 20 minutes daily. Baby wipes, which are often carried away by some mothers, can contribute to the development of the fungus, since after their use on the skin remains moisture.
- Thrush in men photos, symptoms, treatment
- Thrush in adolescent girls
- Douching with thrush: for and against
- Candles for thrush: a review of cheap and effective
- Thrush: symptoms and treatment
- Thrush in women: photos, causes, symptoms, treatment, drugs