What doctor treats cystitis?
Cystitis is a disease in which the bladder becomes inflamed. Among women, the disease occurs quite often (almost every second representative of the beautiful half of humanity has suffered from it at least once in their lives). Dozens of times less often, but still, men suffer from cystitis. Do not constitute an exception and pediatric patients.
Signs of cystitis
Symptoms of cystitis are quite specific, and they appear brightly. These include, in particular:
- frequent urination, making serious and unpleasant changes in the life of the patient, who now has to visit the toilet almost every 15 minutes;
- change in the appearance of urine - it becomes turbid, there may even be an unpleasant odor, indicating the neglect of the process;
- pain in the area above the pubis (and not only at the time of urination) - quite often this symptom is observed in women;
- burning sensation when urinating;
- back pain - possible, but not always;
- temperature, vomiting, nausea - all this can occur in individual cases.
In the event of such alarms, you should immediately consult a doctor. First, self-medication for cystitis is fraught with many serious complications. In addition, for the symptoms of this disease can completely mask a completely different ailment, requiring a different approach to yourself.
It looks like cystitis: who to contact?
So, you have a suspicion of cystitis. What to do? Who to contact? First of all, it is worth visiting the therapist. After analyzing the patient's complaints, he will most likely refer him to a specialist who treats cystitis - to the urologist. Women will also be additionally recommended to visit a gynecologist, since quite often among the representatives of the beautiful half of humanity, various diseases of the sexual sphere are the cause of the disease.
Only a doctor, on the basis of a thorough examination of the patient, can make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe proper treatment. In particular, the following research procedures may be required to diagnose cystitis:
- complete blood count - this test for cystitis is not sufficiently informative, with the help of it you can only confirm the presence of an inflammatory process in the body;
- urinalysis - the most important analysis for the diagnosis of diseases of the genitourinary system; with cystitis, even the appearance and smell of urine change, the level of leukocytes rises in it, and red blood cells may appear;
- urine analysis according to nechyporenko - this analysis of the average portion of urine is appointed in case of detection of deviations in the general analysis of urine; it allows you to specify the state of the organs of the urogenital system
- rapid tests (strips) - modern research methods that allow to detect nitrites in the urine (formed under the influence of pathogenic flora), as well as to determine the level of protein and leukocytes;
- urine culture;
- cystoscopy - when the urethra and bladder are visualized by means of a special device - a cystoscope; at the same time, the procedure in view of its trauma and the ability to serve as a trigger for the spread of infection is prohibited in the event of an acute process.
How do doctors treat cystitis?
After hearing the stories of friends about how doctors treated those with cystitis, patients often independently start taking antibiotics and other medicines. And, as a rule, the symptoms disappear rather quickly. However, such self-medication without the control of a specialist urologist
in most cases, simply leads to the fact that the disease becomes latent chronic form. His treatment at this stage will be longer and more difficult. As a result, independent doctors will have to turn to a doctor, because any hypothermia and weakening of immunity in this case will serve as a trigger for exacerbating the disease and the occurrence of painful symptoms.
So, the urologist should deal with the treatment of cystitis. As a rule, in cases where the disease brings considerable inconvenience to the patient, the specialist prescribes antibiotics and sulfonamides, which have a very broad spectrum of action, without waiting for the results of tests. After the results are ready, the doctor will be able to adjust the treatment, make it more targeted and directed. To relieve pain the patient may be prescribed such drugs as, for example, Monural or Sedural. In some (rare and severe) cases, surgery is necessary.
Relieve the patient's condition with cystitis and facilitate the speedy recovery of the following activities:
- thermal procedures - dry heat, warm baths and compresses - all this can significantly alleviate the patient’s condition, without being a treatment;
- drink plenty of liquids - it helps flush out pathogens from the bladder;
- rest and bed rest (if possible);
- exclusion from the diet of fatty, salty, spicy, fried foods, as well as alcohol;
- use cranberries (better in the form of mors);
- the use of infusion of bearberry, horsetail, lingonberry leaves (assuming no allergic reaction to the ingredients).
Often, cystitis is exacerbated in pregnant women. When they detect the first signs of the disease, they should urgently consult a doctor, because the treatment of women during the period of gestation has its own characteristics. First of all, it is highly undesirable for such patients to take antibiotics. Fortunately, in modern medicine there are many methods to treat pregnant women without harming the fetus. This, in the first place, is about strengthening the immune system and instillation of the bladder.
As a rule, with appropriate treatment and the performance of all appointments, cystitis disappears within 10 days. The forecast in this case is very favorable. However, a disease that is often not taken seriously due to its prevalence can result in serious complications such as interstitial cystitis (with which the inflammatory process affects the muscular layer of the bladder), without proper monitoring by the doctors, causing the organ to shrink involve the need for transplantation), pyelonephritis (inflammation of the kidneys) or hematuria (bleeding, which in severe cases may require even a blood transfusion).
Can cystitis be cured on its own?
Cystitis is a rather insidious pathology, which in the absence of adequate treatment can turn into a chronic form, which is fraught with quite serious consequences. Therefore, when the characteristic symptoms of inflammation occur, do not delay the visit to the doctor. After passing the tests, it will be known what kind of pathogen provoked the development of the disease, and how to deal with it. And then, with strict adherence to medical recommendations, in a week it will be possible to cure cystitis at home.
- Cystitis: symptoms, treatment
- What antibiotics are usually prescribed for cystitis?
- Can I take a hot bath with cystitis?
- Acute cystitis
- Cystitis in men
- Cystitis in women: symptoms and treatment