Hawthorn tincture instructions for use
The tincture of hawthorn refers to the pharmacological group of medicines used in cardiology. It also has a sedative (calming) effect on the central nervous system. It is used for various cardiovascular diseases.
Form of issue and composition
The drug is an alcohol tincture of hawthorn fruit (fructus Crataegi). The tincture contains fruits and 70% alcohol solution in a ratio of 1:10. There are no other auxiliary components of this drug. Produced hawthorn tincture in a dark glass bottle of 25 ml. It is a transparent liquid of yellow or orange color. One cardboard pack contains one vial of infusion and instructions for use.
Pharmacological effect of the drug provides a number of organic substances that are extracted from the fruits of hawthorn in alcohol tincture. The main of these compounds are flavonoids, choline, alkaloids, acetylcholine, tannins, terpenic acids, phytosterols. These substances have on the human body a number of therapeutic effects, which include:
- Increased blood flow in the coronary vessels (arterial vessels of the heart), which improves its trophicity (nutrition) and oxygenation (oxygen saturation).
- Improve blood flow in the arterial vessels of the brain.
- Reducing the excitability of the heart muscle.
- Increased sensitivity of the myocardium to cardiac glycosides.
Thanks to such pharmacological effects, the drug improves the functional activity of the heart. With regard to the central nervous system and the cerebral cortex, it has a slight sedative (calming) effect.
After ingestion, the components of the drug are absorbed into the bloodstream from the lumen of the stomach and small intestine. Therapeutic dose is reached within 30 minutes after admission. At the same time, and there comes a therapeutic effect.
Indications for use
The use of hawthorn tincture is indicated for various pathologies of the cardiovascular system, in particular, for such diseases:
- Ischemic heart disease - insufficient blood supply to the myocardium (cardiac muscle), often due to atherosclerotic lesions of coronary vessels (deposition of cholesterol in the walls of the vessels in the form of atherosclerotic plaques).
- In the complex treatment of hypertension - a prolonged increase in systemic arterial pressure, which leads to spasm of the coronary and arterial vessels of the brain.
- Neurocirculatory (vegeto-vascular) dystonia is a functional disturbance of the innervation of arterial vessels, accompanied by fluctuations in the level of systemic arterial pressure and deterioration of blood circulation in the heart, the brain.
- In the complex therapy of irregularities in the rhythm and frequency of cardiac contractions (arrhythmia) of mild and moderate severity.
Also tincture of hawthorn can be used as a sedative (soothing) remedy with expressed stress, anxiety, insomnia.
Contraindications for use
The use of hawthorn tincture is contraindicated in such physiological and pathological conditions of the body:
- Individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to the components of hawthorn fruit.
- Children under 12 years of age, as the reliable absence of a negative effect on the child's body is not established.
If you need to use the drug pregnant or lactating women, you need to consult a doctor. In the absence of contraindications, you need to be sure before using the drug.
Dosing and Administration
Tincture of hawthorn is taken inside after eating. Usually 20-30 drops of the drug are dissolved in 100 ml of water (1/2 cup), the resulting mixture is drunk. In the complex treatment of cardiovascular diseases, the drug is taken 20-30 drops 2-3 times a day. The duration of the drug is determined by the improvement of the condition and the decrease in the severity of symptoms of the main cardiovascular pathology.
The intake of hawthorn tincture in the recommended therapeutic dose can sometimes cause the development of side effects, which include:
- Drowsiness, slowing of reactions from the central nervous system.
- Decrease in systemic arterial pressure (arterial hypotension).
- Allergic reactions to the skin in the form of rash and itching. In rare cases, urticaria may develop (a characteristic rash and swelling of the skin, reminiscent of a nettle burn).
In case of side effects, the drug should be discontinued and seek medical attention.
Before you start taking hawthorn tincture, you should carefully read the instructions and pay attention to a few special instructions, which include:
- It is not recommended to take tincture during meals, as the components of the drug may interact with food.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding hawthorn tincture can be taken only after consultation with a doctor and under medical supervision, provided that the expected benefit for the mother exceeds the potential risk to the fetus.
- The drug enhances the pharmacological effect of cardiac glycosides, so their simultaneous administration is not recommended.
- The tincture of hawthorn reduces the concentration of attention and the speed of psychomotor reactions. Therefore, during the use of the drug, the activity associated with increased attention and the speed of psychomotor reactions is excluded.
In the pharmacy network hawthorn tincture is dispensed without a prescription. If you have any questions or doubts about the use of the drug, you should consult your doctor.
When the recommended therapeutic dose of hawthorn tincture is exceeded, bradycardia (a decrease in heart rate), drowsiness and a decrease in systemic arterial pressure develop. In this case, the drug is temporarily discontinued. With a slight excess of dosage, special detoxification measures are not carried out. In the case of a significant excess of the dose, gastric, intestinal and symptomatic washing is performed.
Analogues of hawthorn tincture
According to the active substance, the analogue of the hawthorn tincture is Krategus.
Terms and conditions of storage
The shelf life of the hawthorn tincture from the moment of its manufacture is 4 years. Keep the drug in a dark place inaccessible to children at an ambient temperature of + 25 ° C.
Hawthorn tincture price
Hawthorn tincture, a bottle of 25ml - 10-20 rubles.