Bonviva instructions for use
Bonviva tablets are a representative of the pharmacological group of drugs - inhibitors of bone resorption. The drug is used to prevent bone fractures during the postmenopause.
Form of issue and composition
The preparation of Bonviva is manufactured in the form of a tablet coated with a tablet. One tablet contains active ingredient ibandronic acid in the amount of 150 mg. Also contain auxiliary substances, which include:
- Lactose monohydrate.
- Microcrystalline cellulose.
- Povidone To 25.
- Stearic acid.
- Silica colloidal anhydrous.
- Titanium dioxide.
- Macrogol 6000.
Tablets are packaged in a blister pack of 14 pieces, a cardboard pack contains 2 blisters (28 tablets) and instructions for the use of the drug.
The main active substance of the drug is ibandronic acid. It is a highly active nitrogen-containing bisphosphonate. Ibandronic acid suppresses (inhibits) the process of resorption (resorption followed by a decrease in the relative density) of bone tissue. It also reduces the activity of osteoclast cells, responsible for the process of bone resorption. This pharmacological effect of the drug is possible due to a certain chemical similarity of the active substance, it combines with hydroxyapatite, which forms the basis of the mineral matrix of bone tissue. Ibandronic acid, depending on the concentration, inhibits the processes of bone resorption and its demineralization (decrease in the concentration of mineral salts). It has a number of therapeutic effects:
- Promotes a progressive increase in bone mass (especially in postmenopausal women, which is accompanied by changes in hormonal balance and increased leaching of minerals from bone tissue).
- Oppresses bone resorption without affecting other processes of osteogenesis (formation of bone tissue).
- In postmenopausal women, it activates metabolic processes in bone tissue, leading them to reproductive age.
Also ibandronic acid primarily affects the metabolic processes of bone tissue, which decreased as a result of the inadequacy of the sex hormones of women (estrogens and progesterone), whose level decreases during the period of postmenopause (age involution of the sex glands with a significant decrease in their functional activity).
After ingestion, the active substance of Bonviva tablets is absorbed into the bloodstream from the intestinal lumen. The therapeutic concentration in the blood is reached after 20-30 minutes, and the maximum - in 1, 15 hours after admission. Bioavailability of the drug worsens with the simultaneous intake of tablets with food or drinks with a corresponding decrease in the concentration of the active substance in the blood. Ibandronic acid is well distributed in the tissues of the body with somewhat greater accumulation in bone tissue. The main part of the active substance enters into the metabolism of bone tissue and is embedded in the mineral matrix. The rest is excreted from the body with urine unchanged. Reliable data on the passage of ibandronic acid through the blood-brain barrier, placental barrier and ingestion into breast milk during lactation are not present.
Indications for use
The main indication for the use of Bonviva tablets is osteoporosis (increased brittleness) of bone due to bone resorption in postmenopausal women. The use of the drug is primarily indicated for the prevention of bone fractures in the future, especially for fracture of the neck of the femur.
Contraindications for use
The use of Bonviva tablets is contraindicated in several physiological and pathological conditions of the body, which include:
- Individual intolerance or hypersensitivity to ibandronic acid or excipients of the drug.
- Uncontrolled hypocalcemia - a decrease in the level of calcium ions in the blood below the normal value.
Before taking Bonviva tablets, you need to make sure there are no contraindications.
Dosing and Administration
Bonviva tablets are taken orally, preferably on an empty stomach or not earlier than 60 minutes after the last meal, as it significantly reduces the bioavailability of the drug. Also, the drug can be taken one hour before a meal. After taking the pill, take a small amount of liquid. It is important to take the pill completely, without chewing, as this will reduce the likelihood of irritation of the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines. After taking the pill, a small amount of time is preferably in a standing position or sitting upright. The recommended therapeutic dose of the drug is 1 tablet per month on the same day. The course of admission is established by a doctor individually on the basis of a biochemical study of the mineral state of the blood and the degree of bone resorption. In case of missed routine reception, it should be taken as early as possible, so that the period until the next scheduled intake is less than 7 days.
The taking of Bonviva tablets can lead to the development of side effects and negative reactions from various systems and organs, these include:
- The digestive system - esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus), gastritis (inflammation of the stomach), the formation of erosion (defect of the mucous membrane) in the stomach or duodenum. Nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdominal region, more often of a spastic nature, may also develop.
- Musculoskeletal system - a feeling of muscle stiffness and insufficient volume of movements in the joints, a local muscle spasm with the development of severe pain, convulsions , arthralgia (pain in the joints).
- The central nervous system is a headache, periodic dizziness, insomnia.
- Allergic reactions - mainly characterized by skin manifestations in the form of rashes on the skin and its itching, less commonly develop hives (a characteristic rash and swelling, which outwardly resemble a nettle burn). Severe allergic reactions in the form of angioedema angioedema (pronounced edema of the skin and subcutaneous tissue in the face and genital organs) and anaphylactic shock (multi-organ failure in the background of a progressive decrease in systemic blood pressure) are rare.
- Violation of the general condition in the form of influenza-like syndrome - can develop in the initial stages of the drug, characterized by general weakness, low-grade fever (up to 37.5 ° C), aching muscles and joints, decreased appetite and disability.
In case of side effects, it is necessary to consult a doctor who will determine whether to reduce the dose of the drug or stop it completely.
Before you start taking Bonviva tablets, you should carefully read the instructions. There are a number of special instructions that you need to pay attention to, they include:
- Before using the drug, a laboratory study of minerals metabolism in the body is carried out, first of all the level of calcium ions is determined. In the case of hypocalcemia (decrease in the level of calcium ions), its correction is carried out.
- To women of a fragile constitution, in case of presence of bad habits (smoking), to persons of the South European race the preventive reception of a preparation is recommended.
- Together with Bonviva tablets it is desirable to take vitamin D and calcium salt preparations for better mineralization of bone tissue.
- There are no reliable data on the harm of the active substance of the drug on the developing fetus, therefore taking Bonviva tablets during pregnancy and during lactation is not recommended.
- Sometimes taking initial doses of Bonviva tablets may be accompanied by dysphagia (impaired swallowing).
- With special care and under clinical and laboratory control, the drug is used for kidney diseases, which are accompanied by a violation of their functional activity and with oncological pathology of bone tissue (cases of focal necrosis of bone tissue in the lower jaw region are known).
- The drug is not recommended for children under 18 years of age.
- The active ingredient of the preparation interacts chemically with ions of mineral salts, so in the case of using other medicines, the interval between their intake should be at least 1 hour (the same applies to food, which can contain a significant number of different ions of mineral salts) .
- After taking the tablets inside they are not recommended to be washed down with mineral water.
- With respect to the influence of Bonviv's tablets on the concentration of attention and the speed of psychomotor reactions, no clinical studies have been performed.
In the case of a significant excess of the recommended therapeutic dose of Bonviva tablets, in most cases symptoms of side effects from the gastrointestinal tract develop. In this case, stop taking the medication and seek medical help. To detoxify the washing of the stomach and intestine with mineral water is used. Then enter intestinal sorbents to bind the drug (due to the large amount of calcium ions in the milk, the active substance of this drug binds well after its administration).
The same active substance in its composition contains drugs Bondronate, Ibandronic acid.
Terms and conditions of storage
Shelf life of the drug from the time of manufacture is 2 years. Keep out of the reach of children at an air temperature of + 25 ° C.
The price range for Bonviva tablets in pharmacies is 1600-2000 rub. For 1 pc. 150mg