Kidney pain, symptoms and treatment
- Kidney pain: possible causes
- Kidney pain: associated symptoms
- What to do with pain in the kidneys?
- Kidney pain: treatment
Pain of any nature in the kidney area is always a signal that something is broken in the body. Recognizing exactly where the pathological process is localized is not so easy, because painful sensations in the retroperitoneal space do not always signal kidney disease, in some cases these may be manifestations of stretching of the back muscles, osteochondrosis and many other pathologies.
Kidney pain: possible causes
Discomfort and pain in the lower back can be one of the symptoms of the following pathologies:
- hepatic colic;
- osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine;
- bowel disease;
- pancreatitis ;
- attack of acute appendicitis.
Kidneys can be ill with such diseases:
- Pyelonephritis is a disease caused by inflammation in the pelvis of the kidney, which is accompanied by dull, aching, pressing pain in the lumbar region.
- Glomerulonephritis is a disease characterized by inflammation of the glomeruli of the kidneys. As a rule, glomerulonephritis develops as a complication of untreated pyelonephritis, tumor processes in the kidneys, on the background of vasculitis. Glomerulonephritis is accompanied by acute pain in the lumbar region and staining of urine with blood (resembles the color of "meat slop").
- Renal failure - develops on the background of violations of the full work of the kidneys. This disease is accompanied by increased blood pressure, swelling of the lower limbs and face, pain in the lumbar region, sometimes so severe that a person may lose consciousness.
- Nephroptosis - kidney prolapse. This disease develops on the background of blood supply disturbance in the kidney area and an increase in its mobility. Nephroptosis is characterized by increased pain in the upright position of the body. The pain is so severe that the patient assumes a forced position. Analgesics do not stop an attack of pain when a kidney is omitted.
- Oncological process of the kidney (cancer) - as a rule, is detected in the later stages. The patient complains of constant aching or dull pain in the area of the kidneys, which increases as the cancer progresses. Sharp unbearable pain is observed at stage 4 of the oncological process, when organ destruction takes place.
- Urolithiasis - dull periodic pain in the kidneys may signal the onset of urolithiasis. When the stone is moved, the patient may experience attacks of renal colic, which cause him to rush, to take a forced position, to stop the pain with injections of analgesics.
- Benign neoplasms in the kidneys - kidney adenomas and fibromas are most common. This pathology is accompanied by the appearance of pain in the lumbar region of a different nature.
Kidney pain: associated symptoms
To the question “why the kidneys are sore,” no specialist can give a definite explanation. It is known that pain in the kidney area is always a symptom of a disorder or disease. In some cases, pain in the kidneys can occur as a result of intense physical exertion and after lifting weights. At the same time, the discomfort passes on its own, without any medication after resting. Kidney pain is not the only symptom of the urinary system. You can recognize the onset of the disease by other associated manifestations:
- change in the amount of urine - in patients with kidney disease, most often a patient has oliguria (a sharp decrease in the amount of urine);
- increased urge to empty the bladder;
- pain and burning when urinating;
- the presence in the urine of impurities of blood, pus, mucus, as a result of which it becomes turbid;
- pain in the right or left kidney;
- the appearance of edema of the face, "bags" under the eyes.
What to do with pain in the kidneys?
When a painful sensation arises in the kidney area, a person first of all needs to seek medical help. It is strictly forbidden to engage in self-treatment, since in inflammatory processes in the kidneys, lost time can lead to the development of chronic renal failure. In such cases, the main methods of treating pathology are ineffective.
Kidney pain: treatment
Treatment of pain in the kidney area depends largely on the established diagnosis. In order to find out the cause of pain, the patient is prescribed: detailed blood and urine tests, ultrasound of the retroperitoneal space, x-rays, cystoscopy if necessary.
Treatment of pain in the kidneys is carried out in 2 main schemes:
- conservative therapy;
- surgical intervention.
Conservative treatment methods include the appointment of antibiotics, analgesics, glucocorticoids, antispasmodics to the patient. The choice of a group of drugs directly depends on the resolution of the diagnosis, so self-treatment in this matter is unacceptable and dangerous!
An important aspect in the treatment of kidney disease is diet and drinking regime. Exclude pickles, spices, smoked, fatty, spicy dishes, alcoholic drinks, strong black coffee from the diet. In the absence of contraindications, it is necessary to drink at least 1.5 liters of water per day, and replace coffee and tea with cranberry juice.
In identifying urolithiasis, the patient is prescribed special drugs that crush stones and remove from the body in a natural way. During treatment, the patient periodically passes urine and blood tests so that the doctor can observe the dynamics.
In some cases, it is impossible to avoid surgery, which is extremely necessary when:
- rupture of the renal capsule;
- oncological process in the kidney;
- adenoma or fibroma.
If, despite the operation, there is no positive therapeutic effect, then the question arises about the transplantation of the affected kidney.
- Pain under the right shoulder blade from behind from the back: causes
- Pain under the left shoulder blade from the back: causes
- Pyelonephritis: symptoms, treatment
- Kidney stones: symptoms, treatment