Biseptol suspension instructions for use
Biseptol is a combined antimicrobial agent with a broad spectrum of antibacterial action, effective against some protozoa and pathogenic fungi.
The main component - co-trimoxazole is a combination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. Pharmacological affiliation of the drug - sulfonamides. The antibiotic is active against:
- Staphylococcus, streptococcus, meningococcus, gonococcus, E. coli, salmonella, cholera vibrio, anthrax, hemophilic rod and other gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria;
- Plasmodium and toxoplasm from protozoa;
- Pathogenic fungi from the genus Actinomycetes, Coccidioids, Histoplasm and Leishmania.
The mechanism of action is based on a double oppression of the vital activity of pathogenic microorganisms. Sulfamethoxazole is similar in structure to a vitamin-like substance (PABA), which requires a microbe for normal growth and reproduction. Therefore, sulfonamide is built into the bacterial cell and prevents its further growth. Trimethoprim acts on the processes of fermentation and synthesis of acids and bases necessary for microbes, and inhibits their growth and development.
Form of issue and composition
Biseptol is available in the form of tablets and suspensions. The suspension is released in a volume of 80 ml, in a vial of dark glass. Manufacturer Medana Pharma TERPOL Group JS, Co, Poland .
The 5 ml suspension consists of:
- Sulfamethoxazole 200 mg;
- Trimethoprim 40 mg;
- Various auxiliary substances.
The medicine refers to antimicrobial agents, is made from chemical raw materials, is dispensed by prescription.
Indications for use
Indications for Biseptol are bacterial and protozoan infections or fungal lesions on the part of:
- Respiratory system: bronchitis , empyema of the pleura, pulmonary abscess, pneumonia, bronchiectasis;
- Urinary system: inflammation of the urethra, cystitis , pyelitis, pyelonephritis;
- Male reproductive system: prostatitis, inflammation of the testicular appendages;
- Genital tract: gonorrhea , chancroid, venereal inguinal and lymphogranuloma;
- Digestive tract: bacterial diarrhea, shigellosis, cholera, typhoid and paratyphoid, inflammation of the mucous membrane of the stomach and intestines;
- Liver and gallbladder: inflammation of the gallbladder, cholangitis;
- Skin and soft tissues: acne, furuncles, pyoderma, erysipelas, infected wounds and suppuration;
- ENT organs: otitis media of the middle ear, sinusitis, laryngitis ;
- Nervous system: inflammation of the membranes or brain abscess;
- Other: septicemia, brucellosis, blastomycosis, malaria, toxoplasmosis .
- Hypersensitivity to the active components of the drug or excipients, as well as other sulfonamides;
- Renal or hepatic insufficiency;
- Severe blood diseases (anemia, agranulocytosis, leukopenia, especially associated with folate deficiency);
- Glucose enzymopathy;
- Period of pregnancy;
- For suspension, children under 2 months;
Restrictions on the use of the drug are folic acid deficiency in the body, severe thyroid disease and bronchial asthma.
Mode of application
Suspension is taken after a meal inside. It does not contain sugar, it has a pleasant strawberry flavor.
For treatment of infection in adults and children from 12 years of age, a suspension of 20 ml is prescribed every 12 hours, in severe infections, the dose can be increased to 30 ml. The average course of treatment is 10 to 14 days.
Breasts from 1.5-2 to 5 months give 2.5 ml, from 6 months to 5 years - 5 ml, from 6 to 12 years - 10 ml every 12 hours.
The drug should be prescribed exclusively by a doctor because of the large number of possible side effects. Depending on the type of pathogen and the severity of the infectious process, the dosage and duration of admission may vary at the doctor's discretion.
Most often, Biseptol is well tolerated. The following side effects are not excluded:
- Central and peripheral nervous system: headache, dizziness, rarely possible inflammation of the cerebral membranes, depressive condition, inflammation of the peripheral nerves;
- Broncho-pulmonary system: bronchospasm, asthma attack, cough, inflammatory lungs tightness;
- Digestive tract: nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, inflammation of the stomach, pancreas or intestines, pain in the abdomen;
- Hepatobiliary system: increased liver enzymes, impaired formation or secretion of bile, inflammation or necrosis of the liver;
- Hemopoietic system: a decrease in the level of leukocytes, neutrophils, platelets, granulocytes, various types of anemia, increased level of eosinophils and others;
- Kidney and urinary tract: inflammation of the kidneys, impaired their function, the appearance of erythrocytes in the urine, salts, increased urea, creatinine, decreased urinary excretion or lack of urination caused by toxic kidney damage;
- Musculoskeletal system: joint and muscle pain;
- Reactions of hypersensitivity in the form of itching, rashes, hyperemia, various dermatitis, Quincke's edema ;
- Others: lowering blood glucose and sodium levels, increasing the level of potassium.
- With a lack of folate or a tendency to hypersensitivity reactions, Biseptol should be used with caution;
- With prolonged therapy, careful monitoring of the blood condition is necessary;
- In old age or suspected folate deficiency even before the start of treatment, especially careful use of the drug is necessary;
- When carrying out long-term therapy or prescribing the drug in high doses, folic acid preparations can be used;
- The probability of a negative effect of the antibiotic increases when the excretory function of the kidneys and bladder is disturbed;
- Against the background of the use of the drug, it is not recommended to use certain products that can reduce its effectiveness, for example, cauliflower, legumes, spinach, as well as tomatoes and carrots;
- It is not recommended to be in the sun and under ultraviolet rays much;
- In patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, a more frequent occurrence of side effects is possible;
- It is impractical to prescribe the drug for inflammation of the tonsils or mucous membrane of the pharynx when affected by some types of streptococci, as its strains have a high resistance to Biseptol.
- When used simultaneously with certain diuretics, a decrease in blood platelets is possible, which increases the tendency to bleeding;
- When using anticoagulants, hypoglycemic agents and methotrexate, Biseptol increases their effectiveness;
- Local anesthetics and other substances involved in the synthesis of PABA reduce the effect of the antibiotic;
- Phenytoin and barbituric acid derivatives increase the lack of folate;
- Salicylates increase the antibacterial effect of Biseptol;
- Vitamin C and other drugs that increase the acidity of urine increase the risk of increasing the level of salts in the urine;
- In elderly patients, there may be an increase in serum digoxin content;
- Hypocholesterolemic drugs (colestyramine) reduce the absorption of antibiotic;
- The drug reduces the hormonal activity of oral contraceptives, and therefore their effectiveness is reduced.
Analogues of Biseptol Suspension
Preparations based on co-trimoxazole are widely available in the form of tablets, more rarely in dosage form for infusion solutions and syrup. Biseptol analogues in suspension form:
- Bactrim - has a similar dosage, composition and indications, has a pleasant banana flavor. Manufacturer: ICN Jugoslavija (Yugoslavia);
- Berlocid is an analogue of the German manufacturer, Berlin-Chemie;
- Co-trimoxazole, Pharmstandard-Leksredstva (Russia) ;
- Co-trimoxazole, Rivopharm (Switzerland);
- Oriprim, Cadila Healthcare (India);
- Septrim, Glaxo Wellcome Operations (UK).
Terms and conditions of storage
Shelf life of antibiotic is 5 years. The storage location should be out of reach of children, the temperature should not exceed 25 degrees. Application after the expiry date is prohibited.
Biseptol suspension price
Biseptol suspension 240mg / 5ml, 80ml - from 111 to 141 rubles.