Biltricide instructions for use
- Biltricide instructions for use
- Form release and composition of the drug
- Pharmacological properties of the drug
- Indications for use of the drug
- Contraindications for use
- Method of administration and dosage
- Application of the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Application in pediatric practice
- Side effects and drug overdose
- Interaction of the drug with other drugs
- Conditions of dispensing and storage of the drug
- Biltricid analogues
- Biltricide price
The drug Biltricid belongs to the group of anthelmintic agents and is used in medicine as treatment and prevention of worms in adults and children.
Form release and composition of the drug
Biltricide is available in the form of tablets, which are intended for oral administration. Each tablet is covered with a special film sheath.
The main active substance of the drug is praziquantel. Each tablet contains 600 mg of active ingredient and auxiliary components. The drug is packed in bottles of brown glass for 6 pieces.
Pharmacological properties of the drug
According to the instructions, this drug has a pronounced anthelmintic property. The main active substance of the drug stimulates an increase in the permeability of cellular parasite membranes for calcium ions. Thanks to this, the generalized contractility of the musculature of the body of helminths and the slowing down of the absorption of glucose by parasites are stimulated. Due to therapy with the drug in the body, production and release of lactic acid is stimulated, which has a harmful effect on helminths, causing their death. The main active substance of the tablets shows high therapeutic activity in relation to the class of cestodes and nematodes.
Indications for use of the drug
This drug is prescribed to patients as a treatment and prevention of helminthiases caused by such parasites:
- Schistosoma of the Mekong;
- Schistosoma intercalatum;
- Schistosoma hematobius;
- Schistosoma yaponikum;
- Schistosome mansoni;
- Hepatic flukes - vistiveri opisthorchiasis;
- Pulmonary flukes - paragonimus of the Westerman.
Contraindications for use
According to the instructions to the drug, this drug is not prescribed for the treatment of helminthiasis in the presence of such conditions:
- Individual intolerance to the components of the drug;
- When used concomitantly with rifampicin;
- At the patient's age less than 4 years;
- In the presence of cysticercosis of the eye;
- With intestinal obstruction;
- Severe liver damage.
The drug with particular caution is prescribed for patients with heart rhythm disorders, liver failure in the decompensation stage.
Method of administration and dosage
The drug Biltricide must be taken orally during meals or before meals. The tablet should be swallowed immediately, without chewing or grinding, with plenty of liquid. The dosage of the drug is prescribed by the doctor depending on the indices of the tests and the severity of the helminthiasis.
For preventive purposes, if the probability of helminth infection is sufficient, the patient should take 1 tablet 1 time a day before bedtime for 3 days.
Adult for therapeutic purposes, in most cases, appoint 1 tablet every 4 hours for the first 3 days, then the daily dose of the drug decreases.
As a rule, the dosage for each type of pathogen is determined on an individual basis and the dose indicated by the doctor can not be reduced, or increased independently. The drug is not recommended without taking the doctor's instructions, as this can lead to complications and side effects. In addition, the patient can not know what kind of worms caused by the disease, and the use of this particular medicine may not be effective and useless.
Application of the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding
In medicine, cases of teratogenic effects of the main active substance of the drug on the fetus have not been reported. Despite this, the use of Biltricide tablets in the first trimester of pregnancy is strictly contraindicated.
The use of this medication in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy is also not recommended, but it is possible if the expected benefit for a prospective mother exceeds the potential danger for intrauterine development of the fetus.
The use of the drug during breastfeeding is possible, but for this the woman will have to stop for a few days to give her baby her milk, replacing it with an adapted milk formula, continuing to decant. After 3 days after the end of therapy, a woman can restore the lactation process. Such precautions are caused by the fact that the active substance of the drug can easily penetrate into breast milk, and in medicine there is no reliable data on the safety of Biltricida on the body of the infant.
Application in pediatric practice
This medication is not prescribed for treatment of children younger than 4 years. After 4 years, the dosage is selected by the doctor strictly individually for each patient, which depends on the test results, the body weight of the child and the characteristics of his body.
Side effects and drug overdose
In general, the drug is normally tolerated by patients and only in rare cases is it possible to develop the following side effects:
- On the part of the organs of the digestive canal: abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, excessive salivation, diarrhea with blood and mucus streaks, loss of appetite, false urges to act of defecation;
- From the cardiovascular system: violation of the heart rate, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, lower blood pressure indicators;
- From the musculoskeletal system: muscle pains and weakness in the limbs;
- From the side of the central nervous system: weakness, apathy, drowsiness, dizziness or headaches, in rare cases, convulsions ;
- Allergic reactions: rash on the skin, itching and flushing of the skin, urticaria ;
- Febrile state;
- Rapid weight loss.
The development of such side effects in most cases occurs as a result of a significant excess of the dose of the drug. If such symptoms appear, the patient should consult a doctor.
Interaction of the drug with other drugs
Simultaneous use of the drug with dexamethasone or anticonvulsants can lead to a decrease in the therapeutic effect of anthelmintic tablets.
Simultaneous use of the drug with its analogues significantly increases the risk of developing the above-described side effects and overdose.
Conditions of dispensing and storage of the drug
This drug is dispensed in pharmacies on prescription. Shelf life of the drug is 5 years from the time of its production, after this period the drug can not be used inside. Tablets should be stored out of the reach of children at a temperature of no higher than 25 degrees.
There are currently no analogs for the active substance.
Analogues on the pharmacological group (agents used in intestinal helminthiasis): Vermox, Wormin, Helminthox, Nemosol, Piperazina adipate, Pirantel, Sanoxal
Biltricide tablets 600mg - from 370 to 459 rubles.