Bicalutamide instructions for use
- Bicalutamide instructions for use
- Release form and composition of the drug
- Pharmacological properties of the drug
- Indications for use of the drug
- Dosage and administration
- Side effects and drug overdose
- Interaction with other drugs
- special instructions
- Impact on driving ability
- Conditions of release and storage of the drug
- Bicalutamide analogues
- Bicalutamide price
The drug Bicalutamide belongs to the group of hormonal agents, the therapeutic effect of which is aimed at the destruction of cells of malignant tumors.
Release form and composition of the drug
The drug Bicalutamide is available in the form of tablets for oral use of white color, film-coated, in blisters of 14 pieces, packed in cartons. The main active ingredient of tablets is bicalutamide dosage of 50 and 150 mg. The drug is available in India.
Pharmacological properties of the drug
This drug belongs to the group of nonsteroidal antiandrogens, which is prescribed to patients for the treatment and suppression of the growth of tumor processes in the prostate gland.
Indications for use of the drug
The drug Bicalutamide is prescribed to patients for the treatment and prevention of such pathologies:
- As part of complex therapy for prostate cancer, aggravated by metastases;
- As part of complex therapy for malignant tumors of the prostate after surgery, in order to prevent the recurrence of the disease;
- Common prostate cancer, not burdened by metastases;
- As a maintenance therapy in the presence of contraindications to surgery or oncological process that is too advanced. The active ingredient of the drug can somewhat reduce the rate of growth and progression of the tumor.
This drug is most effective, provided that the disease is detected in the early stages, even before the onset of clinical symptoms. When diagnosed with prostate cancer 3 and 4 stages of the drug only reduces aggression and progressive growth of the tumor focus.
The drug Bicalutamide has a number of medical contraindications, which include:
- Individual intolerance to the components of the drug;
- Lactase deficiency in the body;
- Lactose deficiency;
- Age up to 18 years;
- Severe damage to the kidneys and liver;
- Liver failure.
The drug is not used to treat women and children.
Dosage and administration
Tablets are intended for ingestion. Depending on the dosage of the drug and the diagnosis, patients are prescribed medication 1 time per day or 3 times. Tablets should be taken an hour before meals or 1 hour after meals, without chewing and drinking plenty of fluids.
Drug treatment is quite long, at least up to 2 years, but everything is strictly individual and depends on the evidence.
Patients who need a prophylactic course of treatment after surgery on the prostate need only 50 mg of the drug per day. The duration of therapy is determined in this case by the doctor.
Patients who have begun to progress to the tumor and there is a deterioration in the general condition while taking the medication, the treatment should be stopped and consult a doctor.
Side effects and drug overdose
In most cases, the drug is normally tolerated by patients, but if it is used for a long time, the following side effects may develop:
- Breast engorgement and tenderness;
- Feels hot in the face;
- Disorders of the digestive tract: nausea, vomiting, pain in the stomach, yellowness of the skin due to an increase in the amount of bilirubin in the blood, diarrhea;
- Itching of the skin and rash of the allergic type;
- Decreased sexual desire, erectile dysfunction;
- Weight gain;
- Changes in the clinical picture of blood - reducing the number of platelets, anemia;
- In rare cases, the development of liver failure;
- The appearance of blood in the urine;
- Dizziness or headache;
- Foreign body sensation in the pharynx, with the result that the patient has difficulty in swallowing food;
- Excessive sweating;
- Shortness of breath and palpitations;
- The development of heart failure.
Cases of drug overdose in medicine is not described. With the appearance of pronounced side effects, the patient should consult a doctor, perhaps a specialist will slightly reduce the dose or select an analogue of the drug.
Interaction with other drugs
The drug Bicalutamide with extreme caution prescribed to patients simultaneously with calcium channel blockers, since the use of both drugs can lead to the development of side effects.
During the period of treatment with this drug, patients are not prescribed cisapride, terfenadine, astemizole.
Patients with impaired liver function, the drug is prescribed with caution. During treatment with bicalutamide, the state of the liver and the level of hepatic transaminases in the blood serum should be periodically monitored. With the development of any abnormalities or progression of liver failure, treatment with this drug should be stopped immediately.
If necessary, treatment with bikalutamidom and simultaneous use of coumarin anticoagulants, patients need to constantly monitor the blood clotting time and prothrombin time.
This drug is intended solely for the treatment of male patients. Children, adolescents under 18 years old, pregnant women and nursing mothers are not prescribed this drug!
Impact on driving ability
During treatment with bicalutamide, patients need to temporarily abandon driving vehicles or controlling complex mechanisms. The main active ingredient of the drug inhibits the reaction rate of the patient.
Conditions of release and storage of the drug
Means Bicalutamid dispensed in pharmacies by prescription of a physician.
Tablets should be stored in a cool, dark place out of the reach of children. The shelf life of tablets is 2 years from the date of manufacture, indicated on the carton. After this period, the drug can not be taken orally.
Bikana, Bilumid, Kalumid, Casodex
Bicalutamide tablets 50mg, 28 pcs. - from 750 to 870 rubles.
Bicalutamide tablets 150mg, 28 pcs. - from 1600 to 1750 rubles.