Bicalutamide instructions for use
- Bicalutamide instructions for use
- Form of formulation and composition of the preparation
- Pharmacological properties of the preparation
- Indications for use of the drug
- Contraindications for use
- Method of administration and dosage
- Side effects and drug overdose
- Interaction with other medicinal products
- special instructions
- Influence on ability of driving by motor transport
- Conditions of dispensing and storage of the drug
- Bicalutamide analogues
- Bicalutamide price
The drug Bicalutamide belongs to the group of hormonal drugs, the therapeutic effect of which is directed at the destruction of malignant tumor cells.
Form of formulation and composition of the preparation
The drug Bicalutamide is available in the form of tablets for oral administration of white color, film-coated, in blisters of 14 pieces packed in cardboard packs. The main active substance of tablets is bicalutamide with a dosage of 50 and 150 mg. The drug is available in India.
Pharmacological properties of the preparation
This drug belongs to the group of non-steroidal antiandrogens, which is prescribed to patients for treatment and suppression of growth of tumor processes in the prostate gland.
Indications for use of the drug
The drug Bicalutamide is prescribed to patients for the treatment and prevention of such pathologies:
- As part of complex therapy for prostate cancer, weighed down by metastases;
- As part of complex therapy for neoplasm of the prostate of a malignant nature after surgery to prevent recurrence of the disease;
- Common prostate cancer, not weighed down by metastases;
- As a supportive therapy in the presence of contraindications to surgical intervention or too neglected oncological process. The active substance of the drug allows a few to decrease the rate of growth and progression of the tumor.
This drug is most effective, provided that the disease is detected in the early stages, even before the onset of clinical symptoms. With diagnosed prostate cancer 3 and 4 stages, the drug only reduces aggression and progressive growth of the tumor.
Contraindications for use
The drug Bicalutamide has a number of medical contraindications, which include:
- Individual intolerance to the components of the drug;
- Deficiency of lactase in the body;
- Lactose insufficiency;
- Age to 18 years;
- Severe kidney and liver damage;
- Liver failure.
The drug is not used to treat women and children.
Method of administration and dosage
Tablets are intended for oral administration. Depending on the dosage of the drug and the diagnosis, patients are prescribed medication once a day or 3 times. Tablets should be taken one hour before meals or 1 hour after eating, without chewing and drinking with a sufficient amount of liquid.
Treatment with the drug is quite long, at least up to 2 years, but everything is strictly individual and depends on the indications.
Patients who require a prophylactic course of therapy after a prostate surgery need only 50 mg of the drug per day. The term of therapy is determined in this case by a doctor.
Patients who have started to develop a tumor and a worsening of the general condition while taking the medication, the treatment should be stopped and consult a doctor.
Side effects and drug overdose
The drug in most cases is normally tolerated by patients, but with a long enough use it is possible to develop the following side effects:
- Stiffness and soreness of the mammary glands;
- Feeling hot in the face;
- Disturbances from the organs of the digestive canal: nausea, vomiting, pain in the stomach, yellowness of the skin, caused by an increase in the amount of bilirubin in the blood, diarrhea;
- Itching of the skin and rashes of an allergic type;
- Reduction of sexual desire, erectile dysfunction;
- Increased body weight;
- Change in the clinical picture of blood - a decrease in the number of platelets, anemia;
- In rare cases, the development of hepatic insufficiency;
- The appearance of blood in the urine;
- Dizziness or headaches;
- Confusion of consciousness;
- Sensation of a foreign body in the throat, which causes the patient to have difficulty swallowing food;
- Increased sweating;
- Shortness of breath and heart palpitations;
- Development of heart failure.
Cases of drug overdose in medicine are not described. If severe side effects occur, the patient should consult a doctor, the specialist may reduce the dose slightly or select an analogue of the drug.
Interaction with other medicinal products
Bicalutamide is prescribed with special care to patients simultaneously with calcium channel blockers, since the use of both drugs can lead to the development of side effects.
During treatment with this drug, patients are not prescribed cisapride, terfenadine, astemizole.
Patients with violations of the liver drug is prescribed with caution. During the period of treatment with bicalutamide, the liver status and the level of hepatic transaminases in serum should be periodically monitored. With the development of any abnormalities or progression of hepatic insufficiency, treatment with this medication should be stopped immediately.
If it is necessary to treat bicalutamide and simultaneous application of coumarinic anticoagulants, patients need to constantly monitor clotting time and prothrombin time.
This drug is intended exclusively for the treatment of male patients. Children, adolescents under 18, pregnant women and nursing mothers are not prescribed this medication!
Influence on ability of driving by motor transport
During treatment with the drug bicalutamide patients need to temporarily abandon the driving of vehicles or the management of complex mechanisms. The main active substance of the drug depresses the reaction rate of the patient.
Conditions of dispensing and storage of the drug
Bicalutamide is dispensed in pharmacies according to the prescription of the treating doctor.
Tablets should be stored in a cool dark place out of the reach of children. Shelf life of the tablets is 2 years from the date of manufacture, indicated on the carton. At the end of this period, the drug should not be taken orally.
Bicana, Bilumid, Kalumid, Casodex
Bicalutamide tablets 50 mg, 28 pcs. - from 750 to 870 rubles.
Bicalutamide tablets 150 mg, 28 pcs. - from 1600 to 1750 rubles.