Bitsillin - 5 instructions for use
Bicillin – 5 is a combined antimicrobial agent with a narrow spectrum of antibacterial action, which is a member of the penicillin group. The group is known for its natural origin, as it is produced by some types of mold from the genus Penicillinum. Benzylpenicillin is one of the most persistent representatives of natural penicillins.
Benzylpenicillin has an antibacterial effect on:
- Gram-positive microorganisms, such as staphylococci, streptococci, enterococci, Corynebacterium diphtheria, Listeria, Clostridium, Bacillus anaerobic bacilli, which form spores
- Gram-negative bacteria: gonococcus, meningococcus, actinomycetes, spirochetes.
The antibiotic does not have antibacterial activity and is not used to treat diseases caused by:
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis;
- the simplest;
- other gram-negative microorganisms;
- strains producing penicillinase.
The mechanism of action is based on the inhibition of a specific enzyme that participates in the formation of the main structural component of the cell wall. As a result, the strength of the cell wall is broken, and pathogenic bacteria are destroyed.
The disadvantages of benzylpenicillin are:
- instability to penicillinases;
- slight digestion in the stomach;
- low efficiency against many gram-negative pathogens.
In medicine, for the treatment of infections caused by microorganisms sensitive to penicillin, highly soluble salts of benzylpenicillin are used: potassium and sodium. However, due to the short period of their action and rapid elimination, prolonged forms in the form of poorly soluble salts are also used. These are benzathine benzylpenicillin and benzylpenicillin novocaine salt.
Bicillin-5 is a combination of 2 poorly soluble salts. Due to poor dissolution at the injection site, a depot is created, which allows to reduce the frequency of injections, and to maintain the antibiotic concentration in the blood at the right level.
The main condition for prescribing Bicillins is the need to maintain effective concentrations of the antibiotic in the blood over a long period. They are prescribed for syphilis and other infections caused by treponema, streptococcal infections, such as inflammation of the tonsils, scarlet fever , infected wounds, erysipelas, rheumatism, leishmaniasis.
Release form and composition
Dosage form Bicillin-5 - powder for the preparation of sterile solution, which is used for intramuscular administration. The powder has a white color and a bitter taste. The drug is available in vials of 10 ml. Manufacturer: Synthesis OAO (Russia).
The composition of 1 bottle for the preparation of intramuscular injection solution includes:
- benzylpenicillin benzathine 1200 thousand units and benzylpenicillin novocaine salt 300 thousand units.
The drug belongs to the antibiotics of the penicillin series, produced by natural means, released exclusively by prescription.
Indications for use
The indications for Bicillin-5 are infections caused by bacteria that are sensitive to penicillin, especially when prescribing long-term treatment:
- scarlet fever;
- erysipelas lesion;
- syphilis, primary, secondary, unknown genesis;
- yaws (tropical syphilis);
- rheumatism, rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatic heart disease, rheumatoid diseases;
- tonsillitis , lacunar tonsillitis , catarrhal angina;
- wound infection: infected wounds, burns, purulent wounds, wound botulism.
- hypersensitivity to the active components of the drug or excipients, as well as other penicillins;
- hypersensitivity to other drugs in history.
Persons suffering from bronchial asthma, medication prescribed with caution.
Mode of application
For adults and children from 8 years of age, the drug is administered 1 time in 4 weeks, for children under 8 years old - 1 time in 3 weeks:
- for adults - 1.5 million units;
- children over 8 years old - 1.2 - 1.5 million units;
- children under 8 years old - 600 thousand units.
The contents are diluted under aseptic conditions just prior to administration. To obtain a solution using water for injection, a solution of sodium chloride or novocaine. The resulting solution is shaken vigorously until a homogeneous structure is formed and injected intramuscularly.
- various anemia, a decrease in the number of platelets or leukocytes in the blood, a decrease in blood clotting;
- skin rashes, rashes on mucous membranes, increased amounts of eosinophils in the blood, dermatitis, angioedema , anaphylaxis;
- headache, joint pain, fever;
- inflammation of the tongue or mucous membrane of the mouth;
- With prolonged treatment may develop superinfection or fungal infections.
Special instructions and drug interactions
- the drug can not be administered intravenously;
- the presence of blood in the syringe during the injection indicates that it has entered the vessel, and therefore it is necessary to change the injection site;
- after injection, do not rub the injection site, just press and hold;
- with the appearance of allergic signs, the use of the drug is stopped;
- With the development of anaphylaxis, take urgent measures: introduce norepinephrine, glucocorticosteroid drugs, artificially ventilate the lungs;
- microbiological serological analyzes are necessary before the start of treatment and for 4 months after it in case of suspected syphilis;
- for the prevention of the development of fungal infections, taking vitamin C and group B is recommended, nystatin or levorin is sometimes indicated;
- the use of insufficient doses or cessation of therapy before the recommended course leads to the formation of resistant strains of microorganisms;
- antibiotics with a bactericidal effect, enhance the effect of Bicillin-5, and with a bacteriostatic effect - reduce;
- at use of drug efficiency of the tableted contraceptive drugs decreases;
- diuretics, allopurinol, phenylbutazone, Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs reduce the excretion of the antibiotic, resulting in an increase in its concentration in the blood.
Preparations similar to Bicillin-5 are represented by various salts of benzylpenicillin of domestic production. Other drugs, based on penicillins, are semi-synthetic analogues that are resistant to the action of penicillinase and have a broad spectrum of antibacterial action. These are drugs based on ampicillin, amoxicillin , carbenicillin and others, produced in the form of tablets, capsules and parenteral forms.
Terms and conditions of storage
Shelf life of antibiotic 3 years. The storage place should be dry and out of reach of children, the temperature should not exceed 15 degrees. Use after the expiration date is prohibited.
Bicillin – 5 price
Bicillin-5 powder for the preparation of an injection solution of 1200000ED + 300000ED - from 12 rubles.