Bicillin - 5 instructions for use
Bicillin-5 - a combined antimicrobial agent, which has a narrow spectrum of antibacterial action, which is a representative of the group of penicillins. The group is known for its natural origin, as it is produced by some species of mold from the genus Penicillinum. Benzylpenicillin is one of the most persistent representatives of natural penicillins.
Benzylpenicillin has an antibacterial effect in relation to:
- Gram-positive microorganisms, such as staphylococci, streptococci, enterococci, corynebacteria diphtheria, listeria, clostridia, anaerobic bacilli of the genus Bacilli, which form spores;
- Gram-negative bacteria: gonococci, meningococcus, actinomycetes, spirochetes.
The antibiotic does not have antibacterial activity and is not used to treat diseases caused by:
- mycobacteria of tuberculosis;
- the simplest;
- other gram-negative microorganisms;
- strains producing penicillinase.
The mechanism of action is based on the inhibition of a specific enzyme, which takes part in the formation of the basic structural component of the cell wall. As a result, the strength of the cell wall is disrupted, and pathogenic bacteria are destroyed.
Disadvantages of benzylpenicillin are:
- instability to penicillinases;
- slight digestion in the stomach;
- Low effectiveness against many gram-negative pathogens.
In medicine, for the treatment of infections caused by penicillin-sensitive microorganisms, the well-soluble salts of benzylpenicillin are used: potassium and sodium. However, due to the short period of their action and rapid elimination, they also use long-acting forms in the form of poorly soluble salts. These are benzathine benzylpenicillin and benzylpenicillin novocaine salt.
Bicillin-5 is a combination of 2 poorly soluble salts. Due to poor dissolution, a depot is created at the injection site, which reduces the frequency of injections, and maintains the concentration of the antibiotic in the blood at the desired level.
The main condition for the appointment of Bicillin is the need to maintain effective concentrations of antibiotic in the blood for a long period. They are prescribed for syphilis and other infections caused by treponema, streptococcal infections such as tonsillitis, scarlet fever , infected wounds, erysipelas, rheumatism, leishmaniasis.
Form of issue and composition
Dosage form Bicillin-5 - powder for the preparation of a sterile solution, which is used for intramuscular injection. The powder has a white color and a bitter taste. The drug is produced in 10 ml vials. Manufacturer: Synthesis OJSC (Russia).
The composition of 1 bottle for the preparation of an intramuscular injection solution is:
- benzathine benzylpenicillin 1200 thousand units and benzylpenicillin novocaine salt 300 thousand units.
The medicine refers to the antibiotics of the penicillin series, is produced by natural means, is dispensed solely on the prescription of a doctor.
Indications for use
Indications for use Bicillin-5 is an infection caused by bacteria that are sensitive to penicillin, especially when taking long-term treatment:
- scarlet fever;
- erysipelatous lesion;
- syphilis primary, secondary, unknown genesis;
- yaws (syphilis tropical);
- Rheumatism, rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatic carditis, rheumatoid diseases;
- tonsillitis , lacunar angina , catarrhal angina;
- wound infection: infected wounds, burns, purulent wounds, wound botulism.
- hypersensitivity to the active components of the drug or excipients, as well as other penicillins;
- hypersensitivity to other medicines in the anamnesis.
Persons receiving bronchial asthma should be treated with caution.
Mode of application
Adults and children from 8 years of age are given medication once every 4 weeks, children under 8 years of age - 1 every 3 weeks:
- for adults - 1.5 million units;
- children older than 8 years - 1.2 - 1.5 million units;
- Children under the age of 8 years - 600 thousand units.
The contents are diluted in aseptic conditions just before administration. To produce the solution, use water for injection, a solution of sodium chloride or novocaine. The resulting solution is vigorously shaken until a uniform structure is formed and administered intramuscularly.
- various anemia, a decrease in the number of platelets or leukocytes in the blood, a decrease in blood clotting;
- skin rashes, rashes on the mucous membranes, increased amounts of eosinophils in the blood, dermatitis, Quincke's edema , anaphylaxis;
- headache, joint pain, fever;
- inflammation of the tongue or mucous membrane of the mouth;
- With prolonged treatment, it is possible to develop superinfection or fungal attack.
Special instructions and drug interactions
- the drug can not be administered intravenously;
- the presence of blood in a syringe with an injection indicates the ingress into the vessel, in connection with which it is necessary to change the injection site;
- after injection, the injection site should not be ground, simply pressed and held;
- when allergic symptoms appear, the drug is discontinued;
- when anaphylaxis develops, urgent measures are taken: norepinephrine, glucocorticosteroids are injected, the lungs are artificially ventilated;
- It is necessary to conduct microbiological serological tests before the treatment and for 4 months after it if suspected of syphilis;
- for the prevention of fungal development, it is recommended to take vitamin C and group B, sometimes showing nystatin or levorin;
- use of insufficient doses or discontinuation of therapy before the recommended course leads to the formation of resistant strains of microorganisms;
- antibiotics that have a bactericidal effect, enhance the action of Bicillin-5, and those with a bacteriostatic effect - reduce;
- when using the drug, the effectiveness of tableted contraceptive drugs is reduced;
- diuretics, allopurinol, phenylbutazone, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs reduce the excretion of the antibiotic, as a result of which its concentration in the blood increases.
Preparations similar to Bicillin-5 are represented by various salts of benzylpenicillin of domestic production. Other drugs, based on penicillins, are semisynthetic analogues that are resistant to the action of penicillinase and have a broad spectrum of antibacterial action. These drugs are based on ampicillin, amoxicillin , carbenicillin and others, available in the form of tablets, capsules and parenteral forms.
Terms and conditions of storage
Shelf life of antibiotic is 3 years. The storage location must be dry and out of reach of children, the temperature should not exceed 15 degrees. Application after the expiry date is prohibited.
Bicillin-5 powder for the preparation of injection solution 1200000ED + 300000ED - from 12 rubles.