Betadine ointment is a medicinal preparation with a wide spectrum of antiseptic action. It antiseptic, antifungal, antiprotozoal and antiviral action by affecting the proteins of cells of pathogenic microorganisms, forming iodamines. As a result of the interaction, coagulation takes place and the cells die.
Betadine has a wide spectrum of pharmacological action. It is active against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, various species of fungi, viruses and protozoa. It is used in the treatment of any infections with trauma, ulcers, burns to the skin and mucous membranes.
In addition to the ointment, it is available as a solution for local and external use, vaginal candles and liquid soap, which provides wide application and popularity.
Form of issue and composition
Betadine is available as an ointment for external use in tuba. The percentage of active substance is 10%. The amount of the drug is 20 g. The manufacturer of the ointment is EGIS Pharmaceuticals, Hungary.
- povidone - iodine - 100 mg;
- auxiliary substances (sodium bicarbonate, macrogol, water).
Betadine ointment has a brown color and a slight odor of iodine, is subject to OTC.
Indications for use
- bacterial infections of the skin and subcutaneous tissue caused by gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms, with the exception of mycobacterium tuberculosis;
- fungal skin lesions of unexplained genesis;
- trophic skin ulcers, diabetic foot, bedsores;
- decubital ulcer;
- open wound surfaces, superficial skin injuries and abrasions;
- burns resulting from chemical or thermal exposure;
- herpetic rashes on the skin, papillomatosis and other viral lesions of the skin.
Betadine ointment is contraindicated:
- with increased sensitivity to iodine preparations or auxiliary components of the dosage form;
- with various pathologies of the thyroid gland;
- at a benign tumor of a thyroid gland (an adenoma);
- at various rashes as a result of a skin lesion of Dühring's dermatitis;
- when administered during the period of use of radioactive iodine;
- babies and premature babies.
It is necessary to use with care Betadin in persons with impaired renal function during pregnancy and lactation.
Pregnant women are not recommended to use this medication, starting from 3 months.
Mode of application
Ointment can be applied topically or use a bandage. Multiplicity of application 2-3 times a day. Apply a thin layer.
With local application, Betadine ointment does not almost enter the systemic circulation, and it is well tolerated. Sometimes allergic reactions are possible in the form of redness, burning, rashes or itching. When they appear, the drug must be canceled.
With prolonged use, systemic absorption of iodine is possible, which affects the results of the thyroid gland and its functional activity.
Special instructions and drug interactions
- in persons suffering from functional disorders of the thyroid gland, the use of the medicinal product must be carried out under the close supervision of the physician;
- in newborns the appointment is possible only on strict indications. Before use, it is necessary to examine the condition and functional activity of the thyroid gland;
- Persons suffering from chronic kidney disease, including renal failure, are not recommended for prolonged use of the drug;
- the yellow film formed on the site of application of Betadine, indicates the release of iodine molecules. When the release ends, it disappears, which means that the drug has stopped functioning;
- it is necessary to use the medicine carefully, and avoid contact with the eyes;
- colored stains on the skin and clothes are easily washed off with water;
- Do not use the drug when biting animals and insects;
- the preparation is not suitable for simultaneous use with other antiseptic or disinfectants, especially if they contain mercury, alkalis or enzymes;
- the effectiveness of the drug is reduced when there is on-site application of blood, which is compensated by increased concentration.
Since Betadine is available in several dosage forms, there are many similar in composition medicines. Some of them are also produced in ointments:
- Aquazan is a solution for external use, which is represented by various volumes. Drug manufacturer: Iodine technologies and marketing, Russia;
- Betadine and Povidone-iodine are available in the form of a solution for external use and in suppositories. Betadine is produced by Alkaloid AD in the Republic of Macedonia, the manufacturer of Povidone-Ioda - Hemofarm, (Serbia);
- Braunodin B. Brown is a preparation based on povidone-iodine, available as a solution for external and local use and as an ointment, which weighs 20, 100 and 250 g. Indications and applications are similar to Betadine. Manufacturer: Braun Melsungen, Switzerland;
- Vocadin also contains povidone-iodine. The form of the drug is vaginal tablets with a dosage of 200 mg. Manufacturer: Wockhardt Limited, India;
- Iodine is a solution for topical and topical use, which is represented by volumes of 50 ml (lid with pipette), 10 ml (lid with pomat), 25 ml (with a nebulizer). Producer of the medicine: Snezfarm OJSC, Russia;
- Iodovidone is available in a spray, vaginal candles and powder. The drug of Russian manufacture, firm-manufacturer: Алтайвитамины;
- Preparations Yodoxid and Iodosept are represented only by vaginal suppositories. Country of origin: Russia, manufacturing companies: NIZHFARM and Biosynthesis OJSC, respectively.
Other preparations of iodine in the form of ointment are Stellanin and Stellanin-PEG. Both are available in the form of an ointment of 20 g in a tube with a quantitative iodine content of 3%. Stellanin also has a dosage form for oral administration in the form of drops. Producer: PharmPreparat, Russia.
Terms and conditions of storage
Shelf life is 3 years. After the expiration of this period, the use of the medicinal product is prohibited. Keep the drug in a place inaccessible to children, at a temperature not exceeding 15 to 25 degrees.
Betadine ointment 20g - 210-260 rub.