Bactroban ointment belongs to the pharmacological group of antibacterial agents for topical application. It is used to treat various infectious lesions of the skin and nasal mucosa, caused by bacteria sensitive to the drug.
Form of issue and composition
There are 2 forms of Bactroban ointment - for intranasal (introduction into the nasal cavity) and external (cutaneous) application. The main active substance of the drug is mupirocin, its concentration in 1 g of ointment is 2 mg (2% solution). Also, the ointment base consists of additional auxiliary components:
- Paraffin base with the addition of glycerol - is contained in an ointment for intranasal use.
- Polyethylene glycol - is the basis of the ointment for external dermal application.
The ointment is packaged in aluminum tubes with a volume of 3 g. One carton pack contains 1 tube and instructions for the use of the drug. In the carton pack of an ointment for intranasal use, there is additionally a special tip for convenient administration of the drug into the nasal cavity.
The main active substance of Bactroban ointment is mupirocin. This substance is an antibiotic of natural origin, obtained by fermentation of cells of microorganisms Pseudomonas fluorescens. It has a bacteriostatic effect (inhibits the growth and multiplication of bacteria sensitive to it) due to the blocking effect on the enzymatic systems of the bacterial cell responsible for the synthesis of certain proteins. At a higher concentration, mupirocin has a bactericidal effect - causing the death of bacterial cells. The most sensitive to the active substance of Bactroban ointment are staphylococci - Staphyloccocus aureus (including methicillin-resistant strains), Staphyloccocus epidermidis, beta-hemolytic strains of bacteria of the genus Streptococcus (Streptococcus) and Haemophilus influenza (Pseudomonas aeruginosa).
When applying the drug to the mucosa of the nasal cavity or skin surface, the active substance accumulates only within the application area. An insignificant amount of mupirocin is absorbed into the blood, in the liver it is immediately metabolized to an intermediate decay product (monemic acid) and is excreted from the body by the kidneys with urine. Applying a large amount of ointment to the skin can lead to the absorption of propylene glycol into the blood, which has an adverse effect on the functional activity of the kidneys.
Indications for use
Bactroban ointment is indicated for the treatment of an infectious process in the skin or mucosa of the nasal cavity caused by antibiotic-sensitive strains of bacteria. Such infectious diseases include:
- Bacterial rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal mucosa, which can be complicated by the development of a purulent process.
- Infectious process in the nasal mucosa, which occurs without inflammatory changes in it - bacterial carrier.
- Bacterial infiltrative inflammatory and pustular skin lesions.
- Suppuration of the wound after the violation of the integrity of the skin.
Bactroban ointment for external use can be used to prevent purulent complications on the skin in the area of a postoperative wound.
Contraindications for use
Hypersensitivity to the main active ingredient or auxiliary components of the drug.
Dosing and Administration
Bactroban ointment is used for children over 2 years and adults. Ointment for external use is applied to the affected area of the skin in a small amount with its distribution of a thin layer 3 times a day. Intranasal ointment with a special nozzle is inserted into the nasal cavity in a small amount also 3 times a day. The duration of the course of the drug on average is 7-10 days.
In general, the drug is well tolerated. Sometimes there may be signs of irritation of the skin or mucous membrane of the nose in the form of burning and hyperemia (redness). Rarely develops an allergic reaction with the appearance of a rash and its itching. In case of side effects, the drug is stopped.
The drug is used as directed by a doctor. Before use, you should carefully read its instructions. There are several specific indications for the use of Bactroban ointment, which include:
- It is necessary to pay attention to the conformity of the dosage form to the method of its use, the use of an ointment for external application intranasally is not allowed. In the case of an intranasal ointment applied to the skin, its therapeutic efficacy may not be sufficient.
- There is no information about the negative effect of the drug on the growing fetus during pregnancy, therefore it is possible to use it only under the medical supervision of the doctor. The same condition must be met during breastfeeding.
- Do not apply to the skin a large amount of the drug, as this can lead to the absorption of propylene glycol into the blood, which adversely affects the functional activity of the kidneys.
- It is important to avoid getting any kind of Bactroban ointment on the conjunctiva of the eyes. In case of getting even a small amount of the drug, the eyes should be rinsed with plenty of running water and seek medical help.
- The use of ointment Bactroban does not affect the concentration of attention and the speed of psychomotor reactions.
In the pharmacy network, the drug is dispensed by prescription. Its independent use is not recommended, since this can lead to the formation of a pathogenic (pathogenic) microflora resistant to antibiotics.
The toxicity of the active substance is minimal. In case of mistaken reception of the ointment inside, the stomach and intestines are washed.
Analogues ointment Bactroban
On pharmacological action analogues of Bactroban ointment are Gentamicin ointment, Baneocin, Levomycetin ointment.
Terms and conditions of storage
The shelf life of unopened ointment from the moment of its manufacture is 1.5 years. After the tube has been printed, the shelf life of the ointment is 2 weeks. Keep the drug out of the reach of children, in a dark and dry place with an air temperature of no higher than 25 ° C.
Bactroban ointment for external use 2%, tube 15 g. From 367 rub.