Bacteriophage Salmonella instructions for use
Salmonella bacteriophage solution is an immunobiological preparation that contains live bacteriophages. They can lead to the death of bacterial pathogens of the genus Salmonella (Salmonella), causing the corresponding infectious diseases and enhance the activity of the antibacterial immune response.
Release form and composition
Salmonella bacteriophage is available in several dosage forms. The solution is a lysate of Salmonella bacteria (destroyed cells) with live bacteriophages and a preservative (chinosol). The solution is available in bottles of 100 ml. It is transparent and has a yellow color, does not contain impurities, sediment or flakes.
Bacteriophages are specific viruses that are able to penetrate inside bacterial cells, integrate into its genome and disrupt metabolism, leading to energy depletion. At the same time, the cell is destroyed (lysing) and dies; new bacteriophages are released from it, subsequently affecting new, sensitive to them Salmonella. Salmonella bacteriophage is able to infect bacteria of the genus Salmonella (Salmonella) of groups A, B, C, D and E. Bacteriophage does not adversely affect bacteria of other species and does not change the normal intestinal microflora (does not cause the development of intestinal dysbiosis). The presence of lysate (components of Salmonella bacterial cells) in a solution has a stimulating effect on the development of a specific antibacterial immune response.
After ingestion, the bacteriophage does not infect human cells. After reducing the amount of Salmonella, its number also decreases. Then its remains are absorbed by the cells of the body's immune system by macrophages and destroyed.
Indications for use
The use of a salmonella bacteriophage solution is indicated for various types of the infection process caused by different Salmonella groups A, B, C, D and E:
- Acute salmonellosis with characteristic clinical symptoms of small intestinal lesions.
- Chronic salmonellosis, the duration of which exceeds several months.
- Bacterial carrier is the presence of Salmonella in the intestine, their reproduction in it and release into the environment without any clinical manifestations of the infectious process.
An important condition for the use of Salmonella bacteriophage is the presence of sensitivity to it in bacteria.
There are no absolute contraindications to the use of Salmonella bacteriophage. In the absence of sensitivity of Salmonella to the bacteriophage, its use is not recommended, since there will be no therapeutic effect.
Dosage and administration
Salmonella bacteriophage solution is taken orally (through the mouth). Before taking it, the bottle with the solution must be shaken. Usually the solution is taken 60 minutes before meals 3 times a day. Rectal administration of the drug is also allowed (administration to the rectum), with preferential localization of the infectious process in the lower intestine with the development of colitis symptoms. The recommended volume of the taken solution depends on the patient's age:
- Children under the age of 6 months - 5 ml orally or 10 ml with rectal administration.
- Children aged 6 to 12 months - 10-15 ml for internal use or 20 ml for rectal administration.
- Children aged 1-3 years - 15-20 ml orally or 20-30 ml in the case of rectal administration.
- Age from 3 to 8 years old - 20-30 ml by oral administration or 30-40 ml by rectal administration.
- Children from 8 years old and adults - 30-40 ml in the case of oral administration or 50-60 ml with rectal administration.
The course of treatment with Salmonella bacteriophage averages 7-10 days. For the prevention of the development of salmonellosis according to epidemiological indications, the drug is taken 1 time a day in the appropriate age dosage.
Cases of side effects after the use of Salmonella bacteriophage have not been reported.
The use of a solution of Salmonella bacteriophage should be carried out with the obligatory consideration and implementation of special instructions, which include
- Initiation of a course of therapy is possible after laboratory testing with the isolation of a culture of Salmonella infectious disease pathogens and the determination of their sensitivity to Salmonella bacteriophage.
- Salmonella bacteriophage solution can be used in combination with antibiotics, since they do not affect the viability of the bacteriophage.
- The drug can be used for pregnant and lactating women, children from birth under medical supervision of the attending physician.
- In case of presence of turbidity of the solution, sediment or flakes in it, its use is prohibited.
- The solution does not affect the concentration of a person’s attention and the speed of his psychomotor reactions.
In the pharmacy network, the drug is released only if you have a prescription from a doctor. Typically, this drug is delivered under the order directly to a medical hospital or other medical institution. The effectiveness of the use of the drug is possible only after an appropriate study, determining the type of infectious disease pathogen and its sensitivity to Salmonella bacteriophage.
Cases or symptoms of an overdose of a salmonella bacteriophage solution are unknown.
An analogue of the Salmonella bacteriophage solution are tablets that contain the corresponding bacteriophages in the dried state.
Terms and conditions of storage
A salmonella bacteriophage solution in an unopened state can be stored for 2 years from the date of its manufacture. The main condition for its storage is to maintain the temperature in the range of +2 to + 8 ° C. Excess temperature during the transportation of the drug is allowed (provided that it lasts no longer than one month). The storage location of the drug should not be accessible to children.
Salmonella bacteriophage price
Bacteriophage salmonella groups A, B, C, D, E liquid solution for topical use and oral administration, bottle 100 ml. - from 630 rubles.