Augmentin suspension instructions for use
- Augmentin suspension instructions for use
- Pharmacological effects
- Indications for admission
- Use during pregnancy
- Adverse Reactions
- Method of administration, dose
- Rules for the preparation of suspension
- Drug Interactions
- Additional recommendations
- Analogues of Augmentin
- Storage conditions
- Augmentin suspension price
Augmentin is an antibacterial drug from the penicillin group.
As active components are substances amoxicillin and clavulanic acid. Augmentin in the form of powder for the preparation of the suspension is available in dosages of 125 mg / 31.25 mg; 200 mg / 28.5 mg; 400 mg / 57 mg.
Suitable auxiliary substances are succinic acid, silicon dioxide, flavoring agents, aspartame.
Augmentin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. The active substances of the drug contribute to the provision of such pharmacological effects:
- Amoxicillin is a semisynthetic antibiotic that has activity against gram-negative and gram-positive microbes. The spectrum of exposure to amoxicillin does not extend to microorganisms that produce the enzyme beta-lactamase.
- Clavulanic acid has an effect on beta-lactamases and protects amoxicillin from premature destruction by these enzymes. This allows to expand the antibacterial effect of amoxicillin.
Bacterial microorganisms sensitive to a combination of amoxicillin + clavulanic acid:
- Gram-positive aerobic bacteria: bacilli, fecal enterococci, listeria, nocardia, streptococcal and staphylococcal infections.
- Gram-positive anaerobic bacteria: clostidia, peptostreptococci, peptococci.
- Gram-negative aerobic bacteria: pertussis rods, Helicobacter pylori, hemophilic rods, cholera vibrios, gonococci.
- Gram-negative anaerobic bacteria: clostridial infections, bacteroides.
Indications for admission
Indication for the admission of Augmentin is the treatment of bacterial infections that are caused by sensitive and components of the drug by microorganisms. Integrated therapy for the following diseases:
- Infections of the upper respiratory tract and ENT organs (sinusitis, tonsillitis, middle otitis media), which are provoked by streptococcal infections, hemophilic rods and other pathogenic microorganisms.
- Diseases affecting the lower respiratory tract: chronic bronchitis in the acute stage, the development of lobar pneumonia and bronchopneumonia.
- Genitourinary infections: gonorrhea , provoked by gonococcal infection, cystitis .
- Infections of soft tissues and skin, provoked by streptococcal and staphylococcal infections, bacteroides.
- The development of osteomyelitis, provoked by staphylococcal infection (in case of need for long-term therapy); infections of bones and joints.
- Infectious disease of the oral cavity: dental abscess, maxillary sinusitis.
Augmentin can also be used in the treatment of infections that are sensitive to amoxicillin. The drug is indicated for the therapy of mixed forms of infections.
The sensitivity of individual microorganisms to Augmentin may vary depending on the place of residence of the patient. If this is possible, then during the research it is important to take into account local statistics on the sensitivity of pathogenic microbes.
As necessary, the patient must pass tests to determine the sensitivity of the causative agent to the antibiotic Augmentin.
Contraindications to the use of Augmentin are: individual intolerance of active or auxiliary drugs; intolerance to cephalosporins and penicillins, the presence of an anamnesis of jaundice, a violation of the normal functioning of the liver, the development of phenylketonuria.
Powder for the preparation of a suspension at a dose of 200 mg + 28.5 mg and 400 mg + 57 mg also can not be used in the treatment of patients younger than 3 months of age.
Use during pregnancy
Augmentin can be used by women during childbearing when the intended benefit to the mother exceeds the risk to the fetus.
Augmentin can be used during lactation. In the event that the reception of the drug contributes to the development of unwanted side effects in the child, consideration should be given to stopping breastfeeding.
Augmentin can promote the development of such undesirable side reactions:
- Candidiasis of mucous membranes and skin.
- Diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
- Headache, dizziness.
- Itching, hives, rashes.
With the development of allergic reactions, treatment with Augmentin is immediately stopped.
It is necessary to inform the doctor about the developing side effects with the aim of correcting the dosage or the choice of symptomatic therapy.
Method of administration, dose
Dosage of the drug Augmentin is selected individually, taking into account the characteristics of the organism, age and manifestations of the disease.
In order to reduce the risk of adverse effects on the area of the gastrointestinal tract, the drug should be used at the beginning of the meal. The minimum course of treatment is 5 days.
The drug can not be taken for more than 14 days without a re-examination of the treating doctor.
If necessary, two-step treatment is possible: parenteral administration of the drug (injections) followed by a transition to the suspension.
Adults and children over 12 years of age, as well as patients who weigh more than 40 kg are recommended taking 11 ml of the drug at a dosage of 400 mg + 57 mg of 5 ml.
For patients aged 3 months to 12 years who weigh less than 40 kg, the dosage calculation is carried out individually.
There are several options for using the medicine:
- The daily dosage of the drug can be divided into three doses and distributed throughout the day, taking Augmentin can be done every 8 hours for a dose of 125 mg / 31.25 mg.
- Taking medication at a dose of 200 mg / 28.5 mg and 400 mg / 57 mg can be done twice a day every 12 hours.
The dosage table of Augmentin (calculated by the component amoxicillin)
|Dosage of the medicine||For a 4: 1 suspension (125 mg / 31.25 mg) 3 times a day||For a suspension of 7: 1 (200 mg / 28.5 mg and 400 mg / 57 mg) 2 times a day|
|Low||20 mg / kg per day||25 mg / kg per day|
|High||40 mg / kg per day||45 mg / kg per day|
Low dosages can be used during the treatment of infections of soft tissues and skin; with relapsing tonsillitis.
High doses are used in the treatment of otitis media, sinusitis, lower respiratory tract diseases, genito-urinary infections, joint and bone diseases.
To date, there are no proper clinical studies for recommendations for the use of Augmentin in dosages greater than 40 mg + 10 mg / kg three times a day for patients younger than 2 years of age.
Newborns and children younger than 3 months are recommended dosage of 30 mg / kg per day twice a day in the form of a 4: 1 suspension.
For children born prematurely there are no instructions on the dosage regimen.
Patients with severe renal dysfunction are recommended the following dosages:
|Creatinine clearance rate, ml / min||For a 4: 1 suspension (125 mg / 31.25 mg) three times a day||For a 7: 1 suspension (200 mg / 28.5 mg and 400 mg / 57 mg) twice daily|
|Over 30||There is no need to adjust the dose||There is no need to adjust the dose|
|15 mg + 3.75 mg / kg twice daily. The maximum dosage is 500 mg + 1.25 mg twice daily||
Less than 10
|15 mg + 3.75 mg / kg per day. The maximum dosage is 500 mg + 1.25 mg per day||
Patients who are on hemodialysis are recommended to take the drug at a dose of 15 mg + 3.75 mg / kg per day.
Before the procedure of hemodialysis, an additional dose of 15 mg + 3.75 mg / kg is required.
In order to replenish the necessary concentration of active components of the Augmentin drug in the blood, an additional dose of 15 mg + 3.75 mg / kg is required after the end of the hemodialysis procedure.
Rules for the preparation of suspension
Suspension must be prepared immediately before taking the drug. Preparation rules:
- Add 60 ml of boiled water at room temperature to the container with powder, close the lid and shake until the powder is completely dissolved. Further it is necessary to allow the containers to stand for 5 minutes, this allows to ensure complete dissolution of the drug.
- Add water to the label on the container with the medicine and shake the bottle again.
- For a dose of 125 mg / 31.25 mg, 92 ml of water will be required; For a dose of 200 mg / 28.5 mg and 400 mg / 57 mg, 64 ml of water is required.
The container with the medicine must be shaken thoroughly before each use. In order to ensure accurate dosage of the drug, it is recommended to use a measuring cap, which is included in the kit. The measuring cap must be thoroughly cleaned after each use.
Shelf life of the finished suspension - no more than 1 week in the refrigerator. Suspension should not be frozen.
For patients younger than 2 years of age, the finished single dose of the drug can be diluted with boiled water 1: 1.
In case of overdose, undesirable side reactions from the gastrointestinal tract and violations of the water-electrolyte balance may develop. The likelihood of convulsions in patients with impaired normal functioning of the kidneys and in those who received a high dose of the drug increases.
In cases of overdose, immediately consult a doctor for the appointment of symptomatic therapy aimed at normalizing the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract and restoring the water-electrolyte balance. Active components of Augmentin are excreted by the hemodialysis procedure.
Simultaneous use of Augmentin with probenecid is not recommended.
The combination with allopurinol can provoke a risk of skin allergic reactions.
Augmentin can help slow down the process of excretion of methotrexate, which increases its toxic effect on the body.
Augmentin has an effect on the intestinal microflora and can reduce the effectiveness of oral contraceptives.
Before the application of Augmentin, a patient's history is required to identify possible hypersensitivity reactions to penicillin, cephalosporin and other components.
Reception of the Augmentin suspension can stain the patient's teeth. To avoid the development of this effect, it is sufficient to observe the basic rules of oral hygiene - cleaning the teeth, using rinsers.
Taking Augmentin can cause dizziness, so during therapy it is worth to refrain from driving vehicles and performing work that requires increased concentration.
Augmentin can not be used for suspected infectious form of mononucleosis.
Augmentin has good tolerability and low toxicity. If prolonged use of the drug is required, it is necessary to periodically check the functioning of the kidneys and liver.
Analogues of Augmentin
Analogues of the drug Augmentin are such drugs: Amoxiclav, Ecoclave, Augmentin EU. If it is necessary to choose a replacement, it is recommended to consult a doctor beforehand.
Storage of powder for suspension should be carried out in a dry, dark place, protected from direct sunlight. Storage temperature - no more than 25 degrees.
Augmentin suspension price
The cost of the drug Augmentin for the period of August 2015 is as follows:
- Powder for the preparation of the suspension 156 mg / 5ml 100 ml - 153-160 rub.
- Powder for the preparation of a suspension of 228.5 mg / 5ml 7.7g - 150-170 rub.
- Suspension 400 mg + 57 mg / 5ml, the bottle 12.6 g - 270-300 rub.