Augmentin suspension instruction manual
- Augmentin suspension instruction manual
Augmentin is an antibacterial drug from the penicillin group.
The active ingredients are amoxicillin and clavulanic acid. Augmentin in powder form for the preparation of suspensions is available in dosages of 125 mg / 31.25 mg; 200mg / 28.5mg; 400mg / 57mg.
Succinic acid, silicon dioxide, flavoring agents, aspartame are used as auxiliary substances.
Augmentin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. The active substances of the drug contribute to the following pharmacological effects:
- Amoxicillin is a semisynthetic antibiotic that is active against gram-negative and gram-positive microbes. The range of effects of amoxicillin does not apply to microorganisms that produce the enzyme beta-lactamase.
- Clavulanic acid has an effect on beta-lactamase and protects amoxicillin from premature destruction by these enzymes. This allows you to extend the antibacterial effects of amoxicillin.
Bacterial microorganisms sensitive to the combination of amoxicillin + clavulanic acid:
- Gram-positive aerobic bacteria: bacilli, fecal enterococci, listeria, nocardia, streptococcal and staphylococcal infections.
- Gram-positive anaerobic bacteria: clostidia, peptostreptokokki, peptokokki.
- Gram-negative aerobic bacteria: pertussis, helicobacter pylori, hemophilic bacilli, cholera vibrios, gonococci.
- Gram-negative anaerobic bacteria: clostridial infections, bacteroids.
Indications for admission
The indications for receiving Augmentin are the treatment of bacterial infections that are caused by susceptible and microbial components of the preparation. Combined therapy of the following diseases:
- Infections of the upper respiratory tract and upper respiratory tract (sinusitis, tonsillitis, otitis media), which are triggered by streptococcal infections, hemophilic rods and other pathogens.
- Diseases affecting the lower respiratory tract: chronic bronchitis in the acute stage, the development of lobar pneumonia and bronchopneumonia.
- Urogenital infections: gonorrhea , provoked by gonococcal infection, cystitis .
- Infections of soft tissues and skin caused by streptococcal and staphylococcal infections, bacteroids.
- The development of osteomyelitis, provoked by a staph infection (in the case of the need for long-term therapy); infections of bones and joints.
- Infectious diseases of the oral cavity: dental abscess, maxillary sinusitis.
Augmentin can also be used in the treatment of amoxicillin-sensitive infections. The drug is indicated for the treatment of mixed forms of infections.
The sensitivity of individual microorganisms to Augmentin may vary depending on the place of residence of the patient. If this is possible, then in the course of the research it is important to take into account local statistics on the sensitivity of pathogenic microbes.
As necessary, the patient should be tested for determining the susceptibility of the pathogen to the antibiotic Augmentin.
Contraindications to the use of Augmentin are: idiosyncrasy of active or auxiliary substances of the drug; intolerance to cephalosporins and penicillins, history of jaundice, impaired normal functioning of the liver, development of phenylketonuria.
Powder for the preparation of suspensions in a dose of 200 mg + 28.5 mg and 400 mg + 57 mg also cannot be used during the treatment of patients younger than 3 months old.
Use during pregnancy
Augmentin can be used by women in the period of carrying a child in cases where the intended benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the fetus.
Augmentin can be used during lactation. In that case, if taking the drug contributes to the development of undesirable side effects in the child, should be considered the issue of termination of breastfeeding.
Augmentin may contribute to the development of such undesirable side reactions:
- Candidiasis of the mucous membranes and skin.
- Diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
- Headache, dizziness.
- Pruritus, urticaria, rash.
With the development of allergic reactions, treatment with Augmentin is immediately stopped.
It is necessary to inform the doctor about developing side effects in order to correct the dosage or to select symptomatic therapy.
Dosage and administration
The dosage of the drug Augmentin is selected individually, taking into account the characteristics of the organism, the age and manifestations of the disease.
In order to reduce the risk of adverse effects on the gastrointestinal tract, the drug is recommended to be used at the beginning of the meal. The minimum course of treatment is 5 days.
The drug can not be carried out more than 14 days without re-examination of the attending physician.
If necessary, it is possible to conduct a two-stage treatment: parenteral administration of the drug (shots) with the subsequent transition to receive the suspension.
Adults and children over 12 years old, as well as patients who weigh more than 40 kg, are recommended to take 11 ml of the drug in a dosage of 400 mg + 57 mg 5 ml.
For patients aged 3 months to 12 years who weigh less than 40 kg, dosage is calculated individually.
There are several options for using medication:
- The daily dosage of the drug can be divided into three doses and distributed throughout the day, Augmentin can be taken every 8 hours for a dose of 125 mg / 31.25 mg.
- Medication in a dose of 200 mg / 28.5 mg and 400 mg / 57 mg can be administered twice a day every 12 hours.
Table of Augmentin dosages (calculation is made on the component amoxicillin)
|Dosage of medication||For suspension 4: 1 (125mg / 31.25 mg) 3 times a day||For suspension 7: 1 (200 mg / 28.5 mg and 400 mg / 57 mg) 2 times a day|
|Low||20 mg / kg per day||25 mg / kg per day|
|High||40 mg / kg per day||45 mg / kg per day|
Low dosages can be used during the treatment of infections of soft tissues and skin; with recurrent tonsillitis.
High doses are used in the treatment of otitis media, sinusitis, diseases of the lower respiratory tract, urinary infections, diseases of the joints and bones.
To date, there are no adequate clinical studies regarding recommendations for the use of Augmentin in a dosage of more than 40 mg + 10 mg / kg three times a day for patients younger than 2 years of age.
Newborns and children younger than 3 months of age are recommended to take a dosage of 30mg / kg per day twice a day in the form of a 4: 1 suspension.
For children born prematurely there are no instructions regarding the dosing regimen.
The following dosages are recommended for patients with severe impaired renal function :
|The rate of creatinine clearance, ml / min||For a 4: 1 suspension (125 mg / 31.25 mg) three times a day||For a 7: 1 suspension (200 mg / 28.5 mg and 400 mg / 57 mg) twice a day|
|Over 30||No need to adjust the dose.||No need to adjust the dose.|
|15 mg + 3.75 mg / kg twice daily. The maximum dosage is 500 mg + 1.25 mg twice a day.||
Less than 10
|15 mg + 3.75 mg / kg per day. The maximum dosage is 500 mg + 1.25 mg per day.||
Patients who are on hemodialysis are recommended to take the drug in a dose of 15 mg + 3.75 mg / kg per day.
Before starting the hemodialysis procedure, an additional dose of 15mg + 3.75mg / kg is required.
In order to replenish the required concentration of the active components of the drug Augmentin in the blood, repeated administration of an additional dose of 15 mg + 3.75 mg / kg is required after the end of the hemodialysis procedure.
Suspension preparation rules
Suspension must be prepared immediately before taking the drug. Cooking Rules:
- Add 60 ml of boiled water at room temperature to the powder container, close the lid and shake until the powder is completely dissolved. Next, you need to give capacity to stand for 5 minutes, this allows for the complete dissolution of the drug.
- Add water to the mark on the container with the medicine and shake the bottle again.
- For a dose of 125 mg / 31.25 mg, 92 ml of water will be required; for a dose of 200 mg / 28.5 mg and 400 mg / 57 mg, 64 ml of water will be required.
The container with the medicine must be thoroughly shaken before each use. In order to ensure accurate dosing of the medication, it is recommended to use the measuring cap that is included in the kit. The measuring cap must be thoroughly cleaned after each use.
The shelf life of the finished suspension is not more than 1 week in the refrigerator. Suspension can not be frozen.
For patients younger than 2 years of age, the finished single dose of the drug can be diluted with boiled water 1: 1.
In case of overdose, the development of undesirable side reactions from the gastrointestinal tract and disorders of water and electrolyte balance is possible. The likelihood of seizures increases in patients with impaired kidney function and in individuals who receive a high dose of the drug.
In cases of overdose, you should immediately contact your doctor for the appointment of symptomatic therapy aimed at normalizing the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract and the restoration of water and electrolyte balance. Augmentin's active components are eliminated from the body through hemodialysis.
Simultaneous use of Augmentin with probenecid is not recommended.
Combination with allopurinol may provoke a risk of allergic skin reactions.
Augmentin can help slow down the process of removing methotrexate, which increases its toxic effects on the body.
Augmentin affects the intestinal microflora and may reduce the effectiveness of oral contraceptives.
Before using Augmentin, it is necessary to take a patient's history in order to identify possible hypersensitivity reactions to penicillin, cephalosporin, and other components.
Taking Augmentin suspension can stain the patient's teeth. In order to avoid the development of this effect, it is enough to observe the elementary rules of oral hygiene - brushing your teeth, using rinses.
Reception Augmentina can cause the development of dizziness, so for the duration of therapy should refrain from driving and performing work that require high concentration of attention.
Augmentin can not be used if an infectious form of mononucleosis is suspected.
Augmentin has good tolerability and low toxicity. If long-term use of the drug is required, it is necessary to periodically check the functioning of the kidneys and liver.
Analogues of the drug Augmentin are such drugs: Amoxiclav, Ecoclav, Augmentin EC. In case of need of selection of replacement it is recommended to consult previously with the doctor.
The storage of the suspension powder should be carried out in a dry, dark place, protected from direct sunlight. Storage temperature - no more than 25 degrees.
Augmentin suspension Price
The cost of the drug Augmentin for the period August 2015 is formed as follows:
- Powder for suspension preparation 156 mg / 5 ml 100 ml - 153-160 rub.
- Powder for the preparation of suspensions 228.5 mg / 5 ml 7.7 g - 150-170 rubles.
- Suspension 400 mg + 57 mg / 5 ml, 12.6 g vial - 270-300 rubles.