Atorvastatin instructions for use
Atorvastatin is a lipid-lowering drug from the group of statins.
The drug contains the active ingredient atorvastatin calcium trihydrate. The drug is available in dosages of 10, 20, 40, 80 mg.
Auxiliary elements are: calcium carbonate, cellulose, silicon dioxide, macrogol, titanium dioxide.
Atorvastatin has the ability to reduce the amount of low-density lipoprotein ("bad" cholesterol) and increase high-density lipoprotein ("good" cholesterol). It has activity against familial and homozygous hypercholesterolemia, which in most cases are resistant to other lipid-lowering agents.
The effect of the drug begins to manifest itself after 14 days of regular intake of pills, the maximum effect occurs after 1 month and lasts for the entire duration of therapy.
Method of use, dosage
Reception of atorvastatin must necessarily be combined with adherence to a lipid-lowering diet throughout the duration of therapy.
The drug can be used at any time convenient for the patient, regardless of the meal. The dosage of the drug is selected by the attending physician, according to the results of the examination and indicators of the level of LDL and HDL. Treatment is carried out under the systematic observation of indicators of cholesterol in the blood, dosage adjustment occurs every 14-30 days.
The initial dosage is 10 mg of medication, which should be taken once a day. Further dosage can vary from 10 to 80 mg of the drug per day.
When used simultaneously with the drug cyclosporine dosage of atorvastatin should not exceed 10 mg.
In the case of the development of homozygous and familial hypercholesterolemia, the dose is 80 mg per day. The drug is divided into 4 doses of 20 mg.
For patients with a history of renal insufficiency, dosage adjustment is not required.
For patients with hepatic insufficiency, dose adjustment may be required.
In case of overdose, it is required to consult a doctor for the appointment of symptomatic treatment.
Indications for admission
Indications for use of atorvastatin are:
- Combined therapy of elevated levels of total cholesterol, low density lipoprotein. In this case, the drug is used in conjunction with a diet.
- Elevated serum triglycerides. The drug is used in cases where dieting does not have the proper therapeutic effect.
- The drug is also used to normalize total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein during the treatment of homozygous and familial hypercholesterolemia in cases where dieting and other treatments do not have the desired effect.
Contraindications to the use of the drug Atorvastatin are:
- Serious violations of the normal functioning of the liver, the disease in the acute stage.
- Heightened liver enzymes.
- The development of renal failure.
- Period of childbearing and breastfeeding.
- Individual intolerance to active or auxiliary substances.
- Atorvastatin also cannot be used by patients under the age of 18 years.
The use of atorvastatin can cause the development of such side effects:
- Insomnia, dizziness, headache, indisposition, drowsiness, migraine, depression.
- Retinal hemorrhage, ringing in the ears, dryness of the mucous membrane of the eyes.
- Anemia, thrombocytopenia.
- Bronchitis, rhinitis.
- Nausea, heartburn, impaired stool, flatulence.
- Arthritis, myalgia, muscle cramps.
- Urogenital infections, edema.
- Alopecia, hypersensitivity to light, increased sweating.
- Allergic reactions.
Interaction with other groups of drugs
Simultaneous use with antibacterial agents (erythromycin, clarithromycin), antifungal drugs (fluconazole, ketoconazole, itraconazole), cyclosporine, fibroic acid derivatives increases the concentration of atorvastaitna and increase the risk of developing myalgia.
Simultaneous use with suspensions, which included magnesium and aluminum contributed to the decrease in the concentration of atorvastatin. This had no effect on the level of cholesterol reduction and low-density lipoprotein.
Women who take oral contraceptives should take into account that atorvastatin may increase the concentration of ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone.
The combination that requires caution: the combination of atorvastatin with drugs that help reduce the concentration of steroid hormones (spironolactone, ketoconazole).
An undesirable interaction of atorvastatin with antihypertensive drugs was not observed.
Before you start taking medication atorvastatin, you should try to normalize cholesterol levels with the help of dietary correction.
The use of the drug Atorvastatin can cause the development of myopathy (pain and weakness in the muscles). If you suspect this disease, the drug should be immediately discontinued. The risk of myopathy development is increased in case of simultaneous use of atorvastatin with cyclosporine, fibrates, erythromycin, nicotinic acid, and antifungal agents.
When taking atorvastatin, special care should be taken when driving and performing work that requires high concentration of attention.
Analogues of Atorvastatin
Analogues of the medicine Atorvastatin are the following drugs: Ator, Atoris, Lipramar, Lipoford, Torvakard, Liptonorm, Tulip.
Storage of medication Atorvastatin is carried out in a dark place, protected from direct sunlight. Storage temperature should not exceed 25 degrees.
The price of the drug is formed depending on the manufacturer. The cost of the drug Atorvastatin is:
- Tablets 10 mg, 30 pcs. - 150-250 rubles.
- Tablets of 20 mg, 30 pieces. - 220-380 rubles.
- Tablets 40 mg, 30 pcs. - 180-600 rubles.