Atorvastatin instructions for use
Atorvastatin is a lipid-lowering drug from the group of statins.
The composition of the drug includes the active component of atorvastatin calcium trihydrate. The drug is available in dosage of 10, 20, 40, 80 mg.
Auxiliary elements are: calcium carbonate, cellulose, silicon dioxide, macrogol, titanium dioxide.
Atorvastatin has the ability to reduce the number of low-density lipoproteins ("bad" cholesterol) and increase high-density lipoproteins ("good" cholesterol). It is active against family and homozygous hypercholesterolemia, which in most cases show resistance to other lipid-lowering drugs.
The effect of the drug begins to manifest after 14 days of regular intake of tablets, the maximum effect occurs after 1 month and persists throughout the duration of therapy.
Dosing and Administration
The intake of atorvastatin must necessarily be combined with adherence to the hypolipidemic diet throughout the therapy period.
The drug can be used at any time convenient for the patient, regardless of food intake. The dosage of the medicine is selected by the attending physician, according to the results of the survey and the indicators of the level of LDL and HDL. The treatment is performed under the systematic observation of the cholesterol in the blood, correction of the dosage occurs every 14-30 days.
The initial dosage is 10 mg of the drug, which should be taken once a day. In the future, the dosage may vary from 10 to 80 mg of medication per day.
With simultaneous use with the drug cyclosporin, the dosage of atorvastatin should not exceed 10 mg.
In the case of development of homozygous and familial hypercholesterolemia, the dose is 80 mg per day. The drug is divided into 4 divided doses of 20 mg.
For patients who have a history of renal failure, dosage adjustment is not required.
For patients with hepatic insufficiency, dose adjustment may be required.
In case of an overdose, see a doctor for symptomatic treatment.
Indications for admission
Indications for the use of atorvastatin are:
- Complex therapy of an elevated level of total cholesterol, low density lipoproteins. In this case, the drug is used in conjunction with diet.
- Elevated serum triglyceride levels. The drug is used in those cases when compliance with the diet does not have the proper therapeutic effect.
- The drug is also used to normalize total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein during the therapy of homozygous and familial hypercholesterolemia in those cases when diet compliance and other methods of treatment do not have the proper effect.
Contraindications to the use of the drug Atorvastatin are:
- Serious violations of the normal functioning of the liver, the disease in the acute stage.
- Increased activity of hepatic enzymes.
- Development of renal failure.
- The period of bearing of the child and lactation.
- Individual intolerance to active or auxiliary substances.
- Atorvastatin also can not be used by patients younger than 18 years of age.
The use of atorvastatin may cause such side effects:
- Insomnia, dizziness, headache, malaise, drowsiness, migraine, depression.
- Hemorrhages in the retina of the eye, ringing in the ears, dryness of the mucous membrane of the eyes.
- Anemia, thrombocytopenia.
- Bronchitis, rhinitis.
- Nausea, heartburn, stools, flatulence.
- Arthritis, myalgia, muscle cramps.
- Urogenital infections, edema.
- Baldness, increased sensitivity to light, increased sweating.
- Allergic reactions.
Interaction with other drug groups
Simultaneous use with antibacterial agents (erythromycin, clarithromycin), antifungal drugs (fluconazole, ketoconazole, itraconazole), cyclosporine, fibroic acid derivatives promotes an increase in the concentration of atorvastatin and an increased risk of myalgia.
Simultaneous use with suspensions, which included magnesium and aluminum, contributed to a decrease in the concentration of atorvastatin. This did not affect the level of lowering cholesterol and low-density lipoproteins.
Women who take oral contraceptives must take into account that atorvastatin may increase the concentration of ethinylestradiol and norethindrone.
A combination that requires caution: the combination of atorvastatin with drugs that help reduce the concentration of steroid hormones (spironolactone, ketoconazole).
Unwanted interaction of atorvastatin with hypotensive drugs has not been observed.
Before you start taking medication Atorvastatin should try to normalize the level of cholesterol by adjusting the diet.
Use of the drug Atorvastatin may cause the development of myopathy (pain and weakness in the muscles). If this disease is suspected, the drug should be stopped immediately. The risk of myopathy increases with simultaneous use of atorvastatin with cyclosporine, fibrates, erythromycin, nicotinic acid, antifungal agents.
On the background of taking atorvastatin should be very careful when driving vehicles and performing works that require increased concentration of attention.
Analogues of Atorvastatin
Analogues of Atorvastatin are the following drugs: Ator, Atoris, Lipramar, Lipoford, Torvacard, Liptonorm, Tulip.
Atorvastatin is stored in a dark place, protected from direct sunlight. Storage temperature should not be above 25 degrees.
The price of the drug is formed depending on the manufacturer. The cost of the drug Atorvastatin is:
- Tablets 10 mg, 30 pcs. - 150-250 rubles.
- Tablets 20 mg, 30 pcs. - 220-380 rub.
- Tablets 40 mg, 30 pcs. - 180-600 rub.