Aminocaproic acid instructions for use
Aminocaproic acid is a drug that belongs to the pharmacological group of hemostatics (hemostatic or antihemorrhagic agents). It is used in various fields of medicine, including surgery and gynecology, to stop bleeding.
Release form and composition
The drug Aminocaproic acid is available in two dosage forms - tablets for oral administration and a solution for intravenous infusion. Tablets have a round shape, white color. There are several types of packaging tablets:
- In a cellular blister pack of 12 tablets, a carton pack contains 1 or 2 blister packs (in 1 pack of 12 and 24 tablets, respectively).
- In vials of 50 tablets.
- In containers of 20 and 50 tablets.
The active ingredient of the drug is aminocaproic acid, its concentration in 1 tablet is 500 mg. In addition to the active substance also includes auxiliary components:
- Magnesium stearate.
- Silica colloidal anhydrous.
- Povidone (polyvinylpyrrolidone).
- Croscarmelose sodium.
Aminocaproic acid infusion solution is available in 100 ml vials containing 5 g of aminocaproic acid (5% solution.) main pathology.
The process of coagulation and resorption of a blood clot (fibrinolysis) involves various enzymatic systems of the body, which catalyze the speed and intensity of the flow of these processes. Prolonged and pronounced bleeding in the body develops with damage to the walls of blood vessels of various sizes, at which there is a rapid resorption of a blood clot. Aminocaproic acid inhibits (reduces activity) fibrinolysis processes by blocking the enzyme plasminogen and partial inhibition of plasmin (enzymes catalyzing the resorption of blood clots in blood vessels). Aminocaproic acid also inhibits the activity of other tissue enzymes that reduce blood clotting processes - streptokinase, urokinase, trypsin, hyaluronidase. By reducing the vascular permeability of the microcirculatory bed, reducing the activity of production of antibodies, under the action of aminocaproic acid, this drug has an anti-inflammatory, antiallergic, immunosuppressive effect. Due to these effects, aminocaproic acid has a therapeutic effect in pathological processes in the body, which are accompanied by pronounced fibrinolytic activity. In relation to the influenza virus, this active ingredient has an antiviral effect, inhibits the processes of its replication.
When taking pills orally, aminocaproic acid is rapidly absorbed into the blood from the intestine, where it reaches therapeutic concentration after 20 minutes. With intravenous administration of the solution, the therapeutic concentration of the active substance in the blood is reached almost instantly. From the body, the drug is excreted in virtually unchanged form mainly by the kidneys. Aminocaproic acid freely enters the fetus through the placenta during pregnancy.
Indications for use
The use of aminocaproic acid is shown in various pathological conditions, accompanied by an increase in the activity of fibrinolysis processes in the body. These include:
- Stopping of bleeding or its prophylaxis, which are caused by increased activity of fibrinolysis in the blood, decrease in the level of fibrinogen (hypofibrinogenemia) or its absence (afibrinogenemia).
- Operational surgery, which is carried out in organs that contain many enzymes of fibrinolysis activators (brain, lungs, prostate, pancreas, thyroid, adrenal glands, uterus).
- Burn disease - in the case of burns of tissues of any etiology (thermal, chemical burn), a large number of tissue enzymes of fibrinolysis activators are released into the blood.
- Abortion, uterine bleeding.
- Any pathology (somatic or infectious) of internal organs, which is accompanied by a tendency to bleeding.
- Pathology of the digestive system - diseases of the liver, pancreas (accompanied by the release into the blood of a large number of digestive proteolytic enzymes).
- Hypoplastic or pernicious (malignant) anemia, leukemia (oncological processes of the blood system and red bone marrow).
- Allergic pathology - allergic rhinitis, tonsillitis , hemorrhagic vasculitis (allergic pathology, accompanied by increased bleeding from small vessels).
All these indications for the use of aminocaproic acid are determined by the doctor, on the basis of the clinical picture and additional instrumental and laboratory examination.
The use of aminocaproic acid is contraindicated in certain pathological and physiological conditions of the body, which include:
- Increased blood clotting with a high risk of the formation of intravascular blood clots with their subsequent migration in the bloodstream and blockage of arteries, which is accompanied by the development of acute circulatory disorders in the relevant organ (thromboembolism).
- Coagulopathy (violation of the blood coagulation system) due to disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC).
- Pregnancy at any time.
- Severe pathology of the kidneys, accompanied by a violation of their functional activity and the development of renal failure.
Before using the drug, it is necessary to exclude the presence of contraindications.
Dosing and Administration
Aminocaproic acid tablets are taken orally after meals, taken whole, washed down with enough water. The average dosage for adults with a moderate increase in blood fibrinolytic activity is 2-3 g (4-6 tablets) at one time. Daily dosage of about 10-15 g (20-30 tablets). For children, the drug is used at the rate of 0.05 g aminocaproic acid per 1 kg of body weight. Depending on age, children with acute bleeding are prescribed such doses of the drug:
- 2-4 years - 1 g single dose, 6 g daily dosage.
- 5-8 years - 1-1,5 g single dose, 6-9 g daily dosage.
- 9-10 years - 3 g single dose, 18 g daily dosage.
The duration of treatment with aminocaproic acid depends on the type and severity of the underlying pathology, on average it is a period of time from 3 to 14 days. According to these dosages, intravenous administration of the solution of aminocaproic acid is also calculated. With conservative treatment of the pathology of the blood, liver, pancreas, allergic diseases, adults are prescribed 1-3 tablets 4-5 times a day, with a course of treatment for 14-30 days. If necessary, the course of treatment can be extended, and laboratory monitoring of the functional state of the blood coagulation system is necessarily performed.
When using the drug Aminocaproic acid, individual intolerance may develop, which is manifested by the following symptoms:
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Orthostatic hypertension - a decrease in systemic arterial pressure during the transition of the body to an upright position.
- Rash on the skin.
- Catarrh of the upper respiratory tract.
In the event of side effects, it is necessary to reduce the dosage or stop using the drug.
Exceeding the recommended dose is accompanied by signs of side effects. With a significant overdose, rhabdomyolysis (damage to cells of striated muscle) is possible with the appearance of myoglobin (a muscle transport protein) in the urine and the development of renal failure.
Before you start using the drug, you must carefully study the instructions for its use. It is worth paying attention to the features of its use:
- Long-term use of aminocaproic acid or its intravenous administration in the form of a solution should be accompanied by laboratory monitoring of the functional state of the blood coagulation system.
- During the period of use of the drug, it is necessary to refuse to receive fatty foods, which can provoke thrombus formation in vessels with subsequent thromboembolism.
- Do not take aminocaproic acid in conjunction with oral contraceptives, as this may increase blood coagulation.
- During the period of treatment, it is impossible to perform work associated with the need for increased concentration of attention and speed of psychomotor reactions.
In the pharmacy chain Aminocaproic acid is available only by prescription.
Terms and conditions of storage
Shelf life of the drug is 3 years. It is necessary to store in a dark place inaccessible to children, with a temperature not higher than + 25 ° C.
The same active ingredient has the drug Polycapran.
Aminocaproic acid: price
Aminocaproic acid solution for infusion, 100 ml vial. - from 43 rubles.