AmbroHEXAL instructions for use
AmbroGEXAL tablets are a representative of the pharmacological group of mucolytics and expectorants. They have a therapeutic effect due to the presence of the main active substance ambroksola, namely, dilute sputum in the respiratory tract and improve its excretion.
Form of issue and composition
AmbroGEXAL tablets have a rounded shape, white color and bevelled edges. On one side there is a separating notch for a convenient fracture of the tablet in half. The package contains 20 tablets - 2 blisters for 10 tablets. The concentration of the main active substance - ambroxol hydrochloride in each tablet is 30 mg. It also includes such auxiliary substances as:
- Lactose monohydrate 102 mg.
- Calcium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate - 50 mg.
- Corn starch - 10 mg.
- Carboxymethyl starch sodium - 4 mg.
- Magnesium stearate - 2 mg.
- Silica colloidal - 2 mg.
The presence of a dividing notch makes it possible for a convenient fracture of the tablet in half with the appointment of its reception in a half dose. The presence of blisters of 10 tablets provides the convenience of buying for a specific course of use AmbroGEXAL.
Pharmacological action of the drug
The main active substance of AmbroGEXAL tablets is ambroxol. It belongs to the pharmacological group of mucolytics and expectorant drugs, thanks to several main effects:
- Increased production of liquid sputum by serous cells of bronchial mucosa.
- Initiation of the synthesis of enzymes by cells that break down the intramolecular bonds of the molecules of mucopolysaccharides, which are the basis of sputum, while its viscosity decreases.
- The increase in mucociliary clearance - the movement of the cilia of the mucosa of the respiratory tract, which is aimed at excretion of sputum, due to this, various foreign agents that caused inflammation and cough (bacteria, viruses, dust particles, aggressive chemical compounds, allergens) are deduced from it.
All these effects of ambroxol, which is the main active substance of AmbroGEXAL tablets, help to accelerate the transition of dry cough to a productive cough with a gradual decrease in its intensity. Therapeutic concentration in the organs of the respiratory system (the amount of the drug that has a therapeutic effect) is reached in 20-30 minutes after taking AmbroGEXAL tablets. It persists for 8-10 hours, then ambroxol begins to be inactivated in the liver, splitting into metabolic products that are excreted by the kidneys with urine. Half-life (the time for which 50% of the active substance of the drug is excreted from the body) reaches 12 hours.
Indications for use
The main indication for the use of Ambroghexal tablets are diseases of the respiratory tract and lungs, which are accompanied by an inflammatory process in them with secretion of thick sputum, difficult to remove and dry cough. Such diseases include:
- Infectious bronchitis with acute or chronic course is an inflammation of bronchial mucosa caused by viruses or bacteria.
- Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lungs, caused by various microorganisms.
- Bronchoectatic disease is a chronic pathological process with the expansion of a part of the bronchi and bronchioles, in which viscous sputum accumulates.
- Bronchial asthma or atopic bronchitis is a pathology of allergic nature, accompanied by a narrowing of the bronchi (bronchospasm) and accumulation of thick sputum in their lumen.
- Tracheitis is an inflammatory process in the mucosa of the trachea caused by various causes, more often by infection.
- Chronic obstructive bronchitis - the disease is more often caused by prolonged irritation of the bronchial mucosa by various aggressive chemical compounds, in particular smoking.
- Cystic fibrosis is a serious hereditary disease in which viscous sputum is produced without the presence of an inflammatory reaction in the airways.
The action of ambroxol first of all is on the pathogenesis of most inflammatory processes in the bronchial tree, namely the improvement of the protective function of the respiratory tract.
Contraindications for use
AmbroGEXAL tablets have several contraindications to use, which include:
- I trimester of pregnancy - ambroxol penetrates the placenta into the fetus. Since the absence of its negative effect is not proven, it is recommended to exclude the use in the early stages of pregnancy.
- Erosive or ulcerative pathology of the gastric or duodenal ulcer - ambroxol in the AmbroGEXAL tablets can lead to additional cell damage in the area of ulceration or erosion.
- Individual intolerance to any component of the drug - may manifest as general (weakness, headache) symptoms and rash on the skin. This condition requires withdrawal of drugs and is a contraindication to its subsequent use.
Pregnancy in the II and III trimester, lactation period (lactation) are relative contraindications. The doctor may prescribe AmbroGEXAL tablets for medical reasons, if the expected benefit for the mother is significantly greater than the potential adverse effect of the drug on the fetus.
Dosing and Administration
AmbroGEXAL tablets are taken as a whole. They are not chewed and washed down with a significant amount of water. One tablet contains 30 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride. The dosage of the drug depends on the severity of the pathological process in the organs of the respiratory system and age:
- Children from 2 to 6 years - the recommended dose is ½ tablets 1 time per day (the daily dose at the same time is 15 mg).
- Children from 6 to 12 years - ½ tablets 2-3 times a day (daily concentration of ambroxol - 30-45 mg).
- Children over 12 years and adults - the first 2-3 days from the start of therapeutic measures 1 tablet 2-3 times a day (60-90 mg per day) is prescribed. Then pass to a maintenance dose of 1 tablet 2 times a day (daily dose of 60 mg). In the absence of the expected effect or with individual rapid metabolism of ambroxol in the liver, the total dose of the drug can be increased to 2 tablets 2 times a day (120 mg ambroksola per day).
AmbroGEXAL tablets have a sufficiently high therapeutic dosage range, therefore, for a sufficient effect of their use, the doctor can adjust the dose depending on the individual characteristics of the patient or the severity of the pathological process in the respiratory system.
Ambroxol in the AmbroGEXAL tablets is well tolerated. Sometimes it is possible to develop its side effects, which are characterized by such manifestations:
- Allergic reactions to any of the components of the drug, including ambroxol - are manifested as a rash on the skin, which can be accompanied by itching. With a more pronounced body reaction, urticaria develops (the rash on the skin appears against a background of a small edema that outwardly resembles a nettle burn), Quincke's edema (angioedema, swelling of the skin and subcutaneous tissue in the face or external genitals). Very rarely is the development of anaphylactic shock - a severe allergic reaction, in which there is a progressive decrease in systemic arterial pressure and loss of consciousness.
- Symptoms of disruption of the digestive system - nausea, vomiting, periodic bloating, which are accompanied by dry mucous membranes. Somewhat less often there may be a pain in the abdomen, which has a spastic character.
- From the nervous system - a slight violation of taste.
- Change in the general well-being of a person after taking the drug, which is accompanied by a headache, fever, general weakness.
The cases of development of severe skin lesions (Stephen-Jones syndrome) are described, the appearance of which was associated with taking medications on the basis of ambroxol. However, such skin lesions are associated more with the underlying disease, and not with the use of ambroxol. In case of any manifestations, symptoms or reaction to taking AmbroGEXAL tablets, you should stop taking them to see a doctor.
Before you start using AmbroGEXAL tablets, you should always read the instructions for the drug. It is important in the subsequent use to take into account a number of features:
- Application of the drug to children under 2 years of age, pregnant or lactating women is possible only after the appointment of a doctor.
- Tablets can be taken only after meals - this will reduce their negative effect on the mucous membrane of the stomach and duodenum.
- During the course of treatment with AmbroGEXAL tablets, it is necessary to consume a significant amount of liquid, which will facilitate the process of liquefaction of sputum.
- The course of treatment with this drug is usually 4-5 days, with continuing dry cough and sputum congestion in the bronchi, the attending physician can prolong the therapeutic course.
- AmbroGEXAL tablets are well combined with other medicines. In particular, this drug increases the concentration of antibiotics in sputum, which contributes to the rapid destruction of bacterial infection.
- You can not combine AmbroGEXAL with antitussive drugs that inhibit cough, as this can lead to sputum accumulation in the bronchial tree and lungs.
- With caution, the drug can be used with concomitant liver or kidney pathology, and periodic monitoring of their functional activity is mandatory.
- Ambrohexal tablets do not affect the attention of a person and the speed of his reactions, so they can be used by people whose activities are associated with increased attention and the need for quick reaction.
In pharmacies AmbroGEXAL tablets are dispensed without a prescription (OTC group or group of OTC drugs). In case of additional questions regarding its use, dosage or duration of the course of admission, it is advisable to consult a physician.
Due to the wide range of therapeutic dose and low toxicity of the drug, there are practically no cases of overdose. A significant increase in its concentration in the blood can be accompanied by nervous excitation, dry mucous organs of the digestive and respiratory system, the development of diarrhea. When these symptoms occur, gastric, intestinal and detoxification therapy is performed.
Terms and conditions of storage
Shelf life AmbroGEXAL is 2 years. Storage should be provided in a dark place at an air temperature of no higher than 25 ° C. It is also necessary to ensure the inaccessibility of the storage area for children.
Analogues of AmbroGEXAL tablets
Drugs that contain ambroxol as the main active substance are Ambroben, Lazolvan, Bronhoxol, Medox, Flavamed, Ambrosan.
Price for AmbroGeS
AmbroGEXAL tablets 30 mg, 20 pcs. - from 82 rubles.