Ambrohexal instructions for use
Ambrohexal tablets are representative of the pharmacological group of mucolytics and expectorant drugs. They have a therapeutic effect due to the presence of the main active ingredient Ambroxol, namely, they dilute sputum in the respiratory tract and improve its excretion.
Release form and composition
Ambrohexal tablets have a rounded shape, white color and beveled edges. On one side there is a separation notch for a convenient breaking of a pill in half. The package contains 20 tablets - 2 blisters of 10 tablets each. The concentration of the main active ingredient - ambroxol hydrochloride in each tablet is 30 mg. It also includes the following excipients:
- Lactose monohydrate - 102 mg.
- Calcium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate - 50 mg.
- Corn starch - 10 mg.
- Sodium carboxymethyl starch - 4 mg.
- Magnesium stearate - 2 mg.
- Colloidal silicon dioxide - 2 mg.
The presence of a separating incision makes it possible for the pill to break comfortably in half with the appointment of its reception in half the dose. The presence of blisters of 10 tablets provides convenience of purchase for a certain course of application of AmbroGEXAL.
Pharmacological action of the drug
The main active ingredient of Ambrohexal tablets is Ambroxol. It belongs to the pharmacological group of mucolytics and expectorant drugs, due to several main effects:
- Strengthening the production of liquid sputum by serous cells of the bronchial mucosa.
- The initiation of cell synthesis of enzymes that break down intramolecular bonds of the molecules of mucopolysaccharides, which are the basis of sputum, while reducing its viscosity.
- Increased mucociliary clearance - movement of the cilia of the respiratory tract mucosa, which are aimed at removing sputum, due to this, various foreign agents that cause inflammation and coughing (bacteria, viruses, dust particles, aggressive chemical compounds, allergens) are removed with it.
All these effects of Ambroxol, which is the main active ingredient of Ambrohexal tablets, help to accelerate the transition of dry cough to productive cough with a gradual decrease in its intensity. Therapeutic concentration in the organs of the respiratory system (the amount of the drug that has a therapeutic effect) is reached 20-30 minutes after taking the Ambrohexal tablet. It lasts for 8-10 hours, then Ambroxol begins to be inactivated in the liver with splitting into metabolic products, which are excreted by the kidneys with urine. The half-life (the time during which 50% of the active ingredient of the drug is eliminated from the body) reaches 12 hours.
Indications for use
The main indication for the use of Ambrohexal tablets are diseases of the respiratory tract and lungs, which are accompanied by an inflammatory process in them with the secretion of thick sputum, hindered its excretion and dry cough. These diseases include:
- Infectious bronchitis with an acute or chronic course - inflammation of the bronchial mucosa caused by viruses or bacteria.
- Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lungs caused by various microorganisms.
- Bronchiectasis - a chronic pathological process with the expansion of the bronchi and bronchioles, in which viscous sputum accumulates.
- Bronchial asthma or atopic bronchitis is a pathology of an allergic nature, accompanied by a narrowing of the bronchi (bronchospasm) and accumulation of thick sputum in their lumen.
- Tracheitis is an inflammatory process in the tracheal mucosa caused by various causes, often infection.
- Chronic obstructive bronchitis - the disease is often caused by prolonged irritation of the bronchial mucosa by various aggressive chemical compounds, in particular by smoking.
- Cystic fibrosis is a serious hereditary disease that produces a viscous sputum without an inflammatory reaction in the airways.
Ambroxol action is primarily on the pathogenesis of most of the inflammatory processes in the bronchial tree, namely the improvement of the protective function of the respiratory tract.
Ambrohexal tablets have several contraindications for use, which include:
- I trimester of pregnancy - Ambroxol penetrates through the placenta into the fetus. Since the absence of its negative impact has not been proven, it is recommended to exclude use in early pregnancy.
- Erosive or ulcerative pathology of the mucous membrane of the stomach or duodenum - Ambroxol as part of Ambrohexal tablets can lead to additional cell damage in the area of the ulcer or erosion.
- Individual intolerance to any component of the drug - may manifest general (weakness, headache) symptoms and a rash on the skin. This condition requires discontinuation of drugs and is a contraindication to its subsequent use.
Pregnancy in the II and III trimester, lactation (breastfeeding) are relative contraindications. A doctor may prescribe AmbroGEXAL tablets for medical reasons, if the expected benefit to the mother significantly exceeds the potential negative effect of the drug on the fetus.
Dosing and Administration
Ambrohexal tablets are taken whole. They are not chewed and washed down with a significant amount of water. 1 tablet contains 30 mg of ambroxol hydrochloride. The dosage of the drug depends on the severity of the pathological process in the organs of the respiratory system and age:
- Children from 2 to 6 years old - the recommended dose is ½ tablet 1 time per day (daily dose is 15 mg).
- Children from 6 to 12 years old - ½ tablets 2-3 times a day (daily concentration of ambroxol - 30-45 mg).
- Children older than 12 years and adults - the first 2-3 days from the start of therapeutic measures 1 tablet is prescribed 2-3 times a day (60-90 mg per day). Then move to a maintenance dose of 1 tablet 2 times a day (daily dose of 60 mg). In the absence of the expected effect or with individual rapid metabolism of ambroxol in the liver, the total dose of the drug can be increased to 2 tablets 2 times a day (120 mg ambroxol per day).
AmbroGEXAL tablets have a sufficiently high therapeutic dosing spectrum, so for a sufficient effect of their use, the doctor can adjust the dose depending on the individual characteristics of the patient or the severity of the pathological process in the respiratory organs.
Ambroxol as a part of Ambrohexal tablets is well tolerated. Sometimes it is possible to develop its side effects, which are characterized by such manifestations:
- Allergic reactions to any of the components of the drug, including Ambroxol, manifest as a rash on the skin, which can be accompanied by itching. With a more pronounced reaction of the body develops urticaria (skin rash appears on the background of a small swelling, which looks like a nettle burn), angioedema (angioedema of the skin and subcutaneous tissue in the face or external genitalia). It is extremely rare to develop anaphylactic shock — a severe allergic reaction, in which there is a progressive reduction in systemic blood pressure and loss of consciousness.
- Symptoms of disruption of the digestive system - nausea, vomiting, periodic abdominal distension, which are accompanied by dry mucous membranes. Somewhat less, abdominal pain may appear, which has a spastic character.
- On the part of the nervous system - a slight violation of taste.
- Changes in the general well-being of a person after taking the drug, which is accompanied by headache, fever, and general weakness.
Cases of the development of severe skin lesions (Stephen-Jones syndrome) have been described, the occurrence of which was associated with the use of ambroxol-based drugs. However, such skin lesions are associated more with the underlying disease, and not with ambroxol. In case of appearance of any manifestations, symptoms or reaction to taking Ambrohexal tablets, it is necessary to stop taking them to consult a doctor.
Before starting to use AmbroGEAL tablets, it is imperative that you read the instructions for the drug. It is important for subsequent use to take into account a number of features:
- Use of the drug for children up to 2 years old, pregnant or lactating women is possible only after a doctor's prescription.
- Tablets can be taken only after a meal - this will reduce their negative impact on the mucous membrane of the stomach and duodenum.
- During the course of treatment with Ambrohexal tablets, it is imperative to consume a significant amount of liquid, which will facilitate the process of sputum liquefaction.
- The course of treatment with this drug is usually 4-5 days, with continued dry cough and symptoms of sputum stagnation in the bronchi, the attending physician can extend the therapeutic course.
- Ambrohexal tablets are well combined with other drugs. In particular, this drug increases the concentration of antibiotics in sputum, which contributes to the early destruction of a bacterial infection.
- AmbroGEXAL cannot be combined with antitussive drugs that inhibit coughing, as this can lead to the accumulation of sputum in the bronchial tree and lungs.
- With caution, the drug can be used in case of concomitant pathology of the liver or kidneys, with the necessary periodic monitoring of their functional activity.
- AmbroGEXAL tablets do not affect a person’s attention and the speed of his reactions; therefore, they can be used by people whose activities are associated with increased attention and the need for a quick reaction.
Pharmacies Ambrogexal tablets are sold without a prescription (OTS-group or group of non-prescription drugs). In case of additional questions regarding its use, dosage or duration of the course of treatment, it is advisable to consult with your doctor.
Due to the wide range of therapeutic doses and low toxicity of the drug, there are practically no overdose cases. A significant increase in its concentration in the blood may be accompanied by nervous agitation, dryness of the mucous organs of the digestive and respiratory systems, and the development of diarrhea. When such symptoms occur, gastric and intestinal lavage is performed and detoxification therapy is performed.
Terms and conditions of storage
Ambrohexal tablets have a shelf life of 2 years. Storage should be provided in a dark place, at air temperature not higher than 25 ° C. It is also necessary to ensure the inaccessibility of the drug storage place for children.
Analogs tablets Ambrohexal
Drugs that contain ambroxol as the main active ingredient are Ambrobene, Lasolvan, Bronkhoksol, Medox, Flavamed, Ambrosan.
The price of AmbroGeSal
Ambrohexal tablets 30 mg, 20 pcs. - from 82 rubles.