AmbroGEXAL syrup instructions for use
- AmbroGEXAL syrup instructions for use
Syrup AmbroGEXAL is the representative of the pharmacological group of mucolytics medicines (expectorants). Its main therapeutic effects are provided by the main active substance - ambroxol hydrochloride. Due to it, the drug dilutes sputum, improves its rheological properties and facilitates excretion from the body.
Dosage form and composition
The drug is available as a syrup for oral administration in dark vials, with a dispenser, a volume of 100 ml and 250 ml. The kit includes a special measuring spoon. The main active substance is ambroxol hydrochloride, which is contained in the amount of 15 mg in 1 ml of syrup. Also in the composition of the drug are auxiliary substances (their concentration in 1 ml), which include:
- Glycerol - 127.5 mg.
- Benzoic acid 2 mg.
- Giettelosa - 1 mg.
- Sorbitol (75% solution) - 250 mg.
- Propylene glycol 30 mg.
- Apricot flavoring - 2.5 mg.
- Levomenthol - 0.08 mg.
- Purified water - volume up to 1 ml.
Vials with a volume of 100 and 250 ml are made of dark glass, to prevent the destruction of the active substance under the influence of light. They are packed in cardboard packages with instructions and a measuring spoon. The measuring spoon and the different volume of the preparation ensure the convenience of its use.
Pharmacological action of the drug
The active substance of the syrup AmbroGEXAL (ambroxol hydrochloride) refers to the pharmacological group of mucolytics and expectorants. This is due to several of its therapeutic effects, which include:
- Reducing the viscosity of sputum, improving its rheological properties by stimulating the production of enzymes by the mucosa of the respiratory tract, which split the intramolecular bonds of mucopolysaccharides (responsible for the viscosity) of the sputum, diluting it.
- Stimulation of the production of liquid sputum by serous cells of the mucous membrane of the bronchi, bronchioles and trachea.
- Increase mukotsiliarnogo clearance - activation of motor activity of cilia, which by their movements contribute to the production of sputum.
These basic therapeutic effects of ambroxol are pathogenetic, they are aimed at promptly removing sputum and cleaning the organs of the respiratory system from foreign agents (viruses, bacteria, chemicals, dust particles, allergens). The drug form AmbroGEXAL in the form of a syrup makes it possible for an early absorption of the active substance into the blood, the therapeutic concentration of which is reached after 15-20 minutes. The duration of ambroxol in the body is about 8-10 hours, then it is processed in the liver with the formation of intermediate metabolic products, which are excreted by the kidneys with urine. The half-life (excretion of half of the total concentration of the drug) is 10-12 hours. Ambroxol extends to virtually all tissues of the body with a predominant accumulation in the respiratory tract. It also penetrates into breast milk during lactation and through the placental barrier into the body of a growing fetus during pregnancy.
Indications for use
The use of AmbroGEXal syrup is indicated for various pathological conditions of the respiratory system, accompanied by a significant accumulation of thick, viscous sputum in the respiratory tract. These include:
- Acute or chronic infectious bronchitis (inflammation of bronchial mucosa), caused by viruses, bacteria.
- Tracheitis is an inflammation of the trachea, which can be provoked by various damaging factors or infection.
- Bronchoectatic disease is a pathological enlargement of the bronchi on the background of a chronic inflammatory process in them with the accumulation of a significant amount of thick sputum and the attachment of a bacterial infection.
- Chronic obstructive respiratory disease is a pathology, primarily affecting the bronchi with the development of their spasm (constriction) and the accumulation of thick sputum. The most common cause of this pathology is smoking.
- Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lungs of infectious nature.
- Bronchial asthma or atopic bronchitis is an inflammatory-allergic reaction of the bronchi in response to ingestion of allergens. Characterized by their spasm, congestion of sputum and the development of an attack of suffocation.
- Cystic fibrosis is a systemic genetic disease in which the secretion of various glandular cells is disrupted in the body. In the organs of the respiratory system this is manifested by the synthesis of thick and viscous sputum.
These indications are primarily aimed at improving the protective function of the bronchi and lungs, which stimulates ambroxol.
Contraindications for use
Syrup AmbroGEXAL because of the presence of the main active substance ambroxol hydrochloride in it is contraindicated for use in such cases:
- Pregnancy in the first trimester - the teratogenic effect of ambroxol is not proven, but due to its penetration through the placenta, the negative impact on the body of a growing fetus is not ruled out.
- Individual intolerance to ambroxol or other excipients, which may be manifested by the development of various adverse reactions.
- Hereditary intolerance to fructose - intake of AmbroGEXAL syrup in this case can provoke severe intestinal disorders.
- Peptic ulcer of the stomach or duodenum - ambroxol reduces the protective properties of the mucosa of these organs and can provoke an exacerbation of the pathology and an increase in the defect of the walls.
Pregnancy in the late stages of its course (II and III trimester) and breastfeeding are relative contraindications. In these cases, it is possible to use the drug only as prescribed by the doctor, which determines the ratio of benefit to the mother and the potential danger to the fetus or infant.
Dosing and Administration
Syrup AmbroGEXAL is taken inside, the dosing of the drug is carried out using a measuring spoon. The dosage regimen is determined by the severity of the course of the pathology, the severity of the dry cough, which provokes viscous sputum and the age of the patient. Recommended age-related drug dosages are:
- Children aged 2 to 6 years - ¼ teaspoon (volume of 1.25 ml syrup) 3 times a day (daily dose of ambroxol about 15 mg).
- Children from 6 to 12 years - ½ spoon (2.5 ml syrup) 3 times a day (22.5 mg ambroksola). For maintenance therapy, the dose is reduced to a 2-fold dose - ½-a-2-spoonful twice a day.
- Children older than 12 years and adults - 1 scoop (5 ml syrup) 3 times a day (first 2-3 days), then maintain a dose of 1 measuring spoon 2 times a day (30 mg ambroksola per day).
Children under 2 years of age may receive the drug only under the supervision of a doctor. The average dosage depends on the severity of the disease and is about ¼ of a measuring spoon 1-2 times a day. After taking AmbroGEXAL syrup, it is washed down with a large amount of liquid.
Syrup AmbroGEXAL rarely leads to the development of side effects, however, there can be such negative reactions of the body:
- Allergic reactions to the active or auxiliary substance of the drug - rash on the skin, itching, urticaria (rash on the background of puffiness, reminiscent of nettle burn), angioedema, swelling of the skin and subcutaneous tissue ( Quincke's edema ). In rare cases, it is possible to develop a severe allergic reaction in the form of anaphylactic shock (a progressive decrease in systemic arterial pressure and loss of consciousness).
- Reaction from the digestive system - nausea, periodic vomiting, loosening of the stool until the development of diarrhea. To a greater extent, these manifestations can be observed in people with a decreased activity of enzymes that catalyze the cleavage of fructose.
- Increased excitability of the nervous system.
- Dryness of the mucous membranes of the mouth, throat, larynx and trachea.
There are cases of development of severe skin reactions. However, the exact relationship between their development and the use of ambroxol was not established. In case of occurrence of manifestations of side effects, it is necessary to stop taking the drug and seek medical help. To quickly remove ambroksola from the body and prevent its absorption from the stomach and intestines, washing of the stomach, intestine and intravenous drip detoxification therapy is applied.
Before you start taking AmbroGEXal syrup, be sure to read the instructions. There are several special instructions regarding its reception:
- The drug should be taken after a meal to reduce the negative effect on the stomach and duodenum.
- After taking the syrup, it is desirable to drink plenty of water - this will improve the secretion of liquid sputum and its subsequent elimination.
- The course of treatment with this drug is an average of 4-5 days, with continued coughing or lack of effect, the question of prolonging the intake of AmbroGEXAL syrup is decided by the doctor.
- Syrup AmbroGEXAL can be combined with other medicines, except for drugs that suppress cough. Ambroxol increases the concentration of antibiotics in the respiratory tract, thereby increasing the effect of their use.
- In the case of concomitant liver or kidney pathology, the use of AmbroGEXAL syrup is possible with extreme caution.
- Ambroxol and excipients of the drug do not affect the level of concentration of attention and the speed of human reactions.
Syrup AmbroGEXAL is freely released in pharmacies, for its purchase a prescription of a doctor is not needed. In case of any doubt or questions, it is advisable to consult a doctor.
Ambroxol has a wide range of dosages. If it is significantly exceeded, the development of diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and excitation of the central nervous system is possible.
Terms and conditions of storage
The expiration date of the syrup Ambrobene, Lazolvan is 2 years from the moment of its release. Keep it in a cool, dark place, at a temperature of no higher than 25 ° C. Keep away from children.
Analogues of syrup Ambroghexal
Drugs that contain ambroxol hydrochloride as the main active substance include Bronhoxol, Medox, Flavamed, Ambrobene, Lazolvan.
The price of syrup Ambroghexal
AmbroGEXAL syrup, a bottle of 100 ml - from 101 rubles.