Alprazolam instructions for use
- Alprazolam instructions for use
- Pharmacological properties of the drug
- Indications for use
- Use of the drug during pregnancy and lactation
- Dosing and Administration
- Side effects
- An overdose of the drug
- special instructions
- Interaction with other medicinal products
- Conditions of drug storage
- Analogues of Alprazolam tablets
- Prices for Alprazolam
Alprazolam - a drug from the group of antidepressants, which exerts a slight anticonvulsant effect on the body, normalizes sleep.
The drug is available in the form of tablets with a dosage of 250 and 1000 mg of 50 pieces in a carton.
Pharmacological properties of the drug
Alprazolam tablets exert a slight anticonvulsant effect on the patient's body, facilitate the process of falling asleep and the duration of a night's sleep.
The hypnotic effect of the drug is due to the action of the main active substance of the tablet on the cells of the reticular formation, which are located in the brain stem. In addition, the drug reduces the effect of irritants on the central nervous system, which can disturb sleep and cause excessive excitability of the patient.
After ingestion, the active substance of the drug reaches its maximum concentration in the blood after 1-2 hours. As the tablets impact on the body, the patient disappears feeling of anxiety, fear, emotional overstrain.
Tablets do not have a negative effect on the cardiovascular system and respiratory tract. The active substances of Alprazolam do not accumulate in the body and are completely eliminated by the kidneys.
Indications for use
Alprazolam tablets are prescribed only by a doctor in a certain dosage for each individual case under such conditions:
- Neuroses and a constant sense of anxiety or fear;
- Insomnia caused by increased emotional excitability and nervous tension;
- Apathy, indifference to what is happening around;
- Constant tearfulness or irritability;
- Loss of appetite, caused by experiences or apathy;
- Phobias of unknown origin, arising on level ground.
According to the instructions, Alprazolam tablets have a number of serious contraindications, which include:
- Prolonged and severe forms of depression that require the help of a psychiatrist and are accompanied by suicidal thoughts and inclinations;
- Closed-angle glaucoma of the eye;
- Conditions of acute poisoning with alcoholic beverages or ethanol;
- Simultaneous use of serious psychotropic drugs or hypnotics dispensed in pharmacies on a red prescription;
- Chronic diseases of the upper respiratory tract, which are often accompanied by bronchial obstruction;
- Weakness of muscles;
- Acute respiratory or heart failure;
- Individual intolerance to the components of the drug or hypersensitivity to one of the substances included in the tablet;
- Age to 18 years.
Use of the drug during pregnancy and lactation
The use of Alprazolam tablets in the waiting period for a child is categorically contraindicated. Included in the preparation of active substances, have a toxic effect on the central nervous system of the fetus, its liver and kidneys. They easily penetrate the placental barrier and can lead to the development of congenital malformations in the child, premature birth of an unviable fetus or the birth of a dead fetus.
The use of this medication during breastfeeding is also absolutely unacceptable, since active ingredients of the tablet easily penetrate into breast milk and can be passed on to the baby with food. The drug has a negative impact on the nervous system of the baby, as well as on his internal organs - the heart, the respiratory tract, the liver, the kidneys, so if you need to treat a lactating woman with Alprazolam, you must stop breastfeeding and transfer the baby to artificial nutrition.
Alprazolam tablets are also not used in pediatric practice, since they have a toxic effect on the children's body.
Dosing and Administration
Alprazolam tablets are recommended to be taken to patients in the lowest possible dosage, which will be effective. At the initial stages of treatment of sleep disorders and depressive conditions, an adult 250 μg three times a day is sufficient. If this dosage is sufficient and the negative phenomena disappear, then do not exceed the dose. The duration of treatment with the drug is determined only by a specialist, depending on the severity of the patient's condition, body weight, age and severity of symptoms.
The tablet should be taken 1 hour before meals or 2 hours after eating, squeezed with enough liquid.
The drug Alprazolam has a pronounced therapeutic effect on the body, so it is strictly forbidden to exceed the dose indicated by the doctor or engage in self-medication! If the dose is exceeded or the drug is misused, the patient experiences a number of side effects:
- Feeling of malaise, weakness;
- Drowsiness and retardation;
- Reduction of concentration of attention and in some cases lack of reaction to what is happening around;
- Shakiness of gait;
- Delay or slowdown of speech.
An overdose of the drug
With prolonged uncontrolled use of this drug and an independent excess of the dose specified in the instruction, the symptoms of an overdose develop, which are expressed as follows:
- From the side of the nervous system: headaches, flashes of aggression or, conversely, unreasonable joy and euphoria, violation of coordination of movements, hallucinations, hand tremors, fears, confusion of consciousness and speech;
- On the part of the digestive system: loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, increased salivation, dry mouth, mucous membranes, heartburn, constipation or diarrhea;
- On the part of the urinary system: oliguria or anuria (a decrease in the amount of daily urine being separated or completely absent), impaired renal function, development of edema;
- From the heart and respiratory system: increased heart rate, lower blood pressure;
In the blood tests of the patient, there is a decrease in the number of leukocytes, hemoglobin, platelets.
The skin may develop a rash and severe itching. If such symptoms occur, the drug should be discontinued immediately and consult a doctor. In some cases, the patient needs gastric lavage.
In the period of application of the drug Alprazolam, the organism can become addicted to its components. The patient may notice that the usual doses do not help or do not have any effect at all.
It is also impossible to cancel the drug drastically, it needs to be done gradually, daily reducing the dosage of the drug. A sharp cessation of treatment with Alprazolam can cause the patient to have a so-called withdrawal syndrome, which is expressed in insomnia, seizures, increased sweating, muscle spasms, tremor of hands.
Interaction with other medicinal products
The drug with caution should be taken with the simultaneous administration of tetracycline antibiotics, macrolides and digoxin.
With the simultaneous use of Alprazolam and psychotropic drugs, toxic effects on the central nervous system and vital internal organs are possible, so if the patient is already taking something from the above group of medicines, he should definitely inform the doctor!
Conditions of drug storage
Tablets can be stored at room temperature in a dark place inaccessible to children. Shelf life of the drug is 5 years from the date of manufacture, which is indicated on the carton.
Analogues of Alprazolam tablets
Analogs for the active ingredient: Alzolam, Alprox, Zolomax, Kassadan, Xanax, Xanax retard, Neurol, Frontin, Helex
Prices for Alprazolam
Alprazolam tablets 1mg No. 50. - from 374 rubles.