Afrin instructions for use
- Afrin instructions for use
- Form of the preparation
- Pharmacological actions of the drug
- Indications for use of the drug
- Contraindications to use
- Application of the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Side effects
- Method of application and dosage
- An overdose of the drug
- Interaction with other drugs
- special instructions
- Storage and dispensing conditions in pharmacies
- Afrin price
The drug Afrin is a vasoconstrictor for intranasal use.
The main active substance of the drug is oxymetazoline, belonging to alpha-adrenomimetics.
Form of the preparation
Afrin is available in the form of a spray intended for intranasal use. The drug is available in plastic bottles in volume 15 and 20 ml 0.1% (for adults) and 0.05% (infant dosage), packed in a cardboard box.
Pharmacological actions of the drug
The drug in contact with the nasal mucosa helps to narrow the vessels and eliminate swelling of the mucosa. Improves nasal breathing and reduces the flow of blood to the venous vessels of the nasal cavity. The therapeutic effect is observed only 5-10 minutes after instillation of the drug and retains its duration for 7 hours.
As part of complex therapy, this drug can be used as a vasoconstrictor in inflammatory processes of the eustachian tube and middle ear. Included in the spray Afrin oxymetazoline helps reduce edema around the opening of the Eustachian tube and reduce the pain caused by the inflammatory process.
Also, the active substance of the drug Afrin contributes to some drying of the nasal mucosa and a decrease in mucus secretion.
Indications for use of the drug
The main indications for the use of spray aphren are the following states:
- Acute inflammatory processes of the mucous membrane of the nasal cavity, accompanied by swelling of the nasal passages, complicated nasal breathing, separation of a large amount of mucus - inflammatory processes can be caused by both the viral nature and allergic reactions (allergic rhinitis);
- Vasomotor rhinitis;
- Eustachitis otitis media as part of complex therapy;
- Necessity of narrowing of the mucous membranes of the nasal cavity for diagnostic purposes, for example, during a rhinoscopy.
Contraindications to use
Spray Afrin has a number of serious contraindications. These include:
- Individual intolerance to oxymetazoline;
- Allergic reactions to drugs from the group of alpha-adrenomimetics;
- Closed-angle glaucoma of the eye;
- Atrophic inflammatory processes in the nasal cavity;
- Heart rhythm disturbances, heart failure;
- High blood pressure;
- Thyroid gland disorders;
- Children under 6 years;
- Atherosclerotic deposits on the walls of large blood vessels.
Application of the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Many expectant mothers are diagnosed as pregnant with rhinitis. Swelling and stuffiness of the nose in most cases are not associated with a viral infection or allergic reactions. Runny nose and difficult nasal breathing in expectant mothers is due to serious hormonal changes and soon after the birth of a child all unpleasant symptoms go away by themselves without any medical intervention. The use of vasoconstrictive nasal drops during pregnancy is not recommended in any of the trimesters, as this can adversely affect the development of the fetus. It would seem, how the drops in the nose on the uterus can influence, but the connection here is huge. Oxymetazoline after contact with the nasal mucosa is rapidly absorbed and enters a significant amount in the common bloodstream. The vasoconstrictive effect extends not only to the nasal vessels, but also to the vessels of the placenta! With frequent and uncontrolled use of the drug, the body quickly develops addiction to oxymetazoline, which is accompanied by the need to increase the dose of the spray each time to achieve the necessary therapeutic effect. Using nasal spray Afrin during pregnancy leads to frequent narrowing of the blood vessels of the placenta, resulting in a fetus lacking oxygen supply. This in turn can lead to a delay in the intrauterine development of the child and other serious deviations.
Before taking the spray of Afrin, the expectant mother should consult with the doctor. To facilitate nasal breathing and reduce swelling of the nasal mucosa, the doctor will certainly pick up an alternative medicine that will not be so aggressive with the fetus.
Use of the drug during the period of breastfeeding is possible only for serious indications under the strict supervision of the doctor.
In most cases, the drug Afrin is well tolerated by patients, but with prolonged use and self-exceeding of the doses indicated in the instructions, the patient has a high risk of side effects:
- Burning in the nose and strong dryness of the mucous membranes;
- Psychomotor agitation;
- Anxiety or apathy;
- Increased arterial and intraocular pressure;
- Headache and dizziness;
- Pershing in the throat, sneezing;
- Swelling of the nasal mucosa and its atrophy with a long enough use of the drug.
If these side effects occur, the spray should be discontinued immediately and consult a doctor!
Method of application and dosage
The drug Afrin is indicated for intranasal use. Adults and adolescents are prescribed 2 injections of the drug twice a day. Children older than 6 years are recommended to 1 spray each nostril 1-2 times a day, depending on the severity of symptoms of rhinorrhea and rhinitis. The duration of the course of treatment is determined by the doctor, but it should not exceed 5 days, since in this case the patient develops an addiction to oxymetazoline and a decrease in the therapeutic effect of the spray. If after 5 days the symptoms of the disease have not passed, then patients are prescribed alternative treatment for the main other active ingredient in order to prevent overdose and addiction to Africa.
An overdose of the drug
Among patients, there are rare cases of drug overdose with aphren. As a rule, this occurs after a significant excess of these doses or accidental ingestion of the drug inside. An overdose of the drug is expressed by the following symptoms:
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Cyanosis of the skin and mucous membranes of the oral cavity;
- Narrowing of the pupils;
- Increased body temperature;
- Increase in blood pressure indicators;
- Symptoms of vascular insufficiency are sudden dizziness, down to loss of consciousness;
- Disorders of respiratory function;
- Oppression of the central nervous system or vice versa excessive excitability;
- Pulmonary edema;
- Violation of the heart rhythm, accompanied by tachycardia or bradycardia;
- In severe cases, the development of coma or cardiac arrest is possible.
If any of the symptoms of an overdose occur, the patient should immediately consult a doctor! Treatment is symptomatic, the patient is washed with a stomach, give to take activated charcoal or another sorbent.
Interaction with other drugs
Spray Afrin with simultaneous application with topical anesthetics can cause their long-term effect. With simultaneous use of a spray with other drugs from the group of alpha-adrenomimetics, the risk of side effects increases significantly.
Use of the drug in pediatric practice for children older than 6 years increases the absorption of the main active substance into the blood, which can cause a number of the above side effects. That is why, in order to treat rhinitis and other pathologies in children, it is necessary to carefully monitor compliance with this dosage.
During the application of this drug, a slight depression of the central nervous system or a slowdown in the response rate in patients is possible, which is important for car drivers and other patients whose work is related to mechanisms.
Storage and dispensing conditions in pharmacies
Spray Afrin is released in pharmacies without a prescription. After opening the bottle, the medicine should be used within 6 months, after which the spray should be discarded. Keep the vial open in a refrigerator or other dark, cool place out of the reach of children.
Analogs for the active ingredient:
Viks Active Sinex, Nazivin, Nazol, Nazozpray, Nesopin, Knoxprey
Analogues on farmgroup:
Grippostad Rino, Galazolin, Vnanos, Xylen, Otrivin, Naphthysine, Ximelin, Rhinospray, Tizin xylo, Sanorin, Pharmazoline.
Afrin spray nasal 0.05% - from 195 rubles.