Afrin instructions for use
- Afrin instructions for use
- Drug release form
- Pharmacological action of the drug
- Indications for use of the drug
- Contraindications to use
- Use of the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Side effects
- Method of use of the drug and dosage
- Drug overdose
- Interaction with other drugs
- special instructions
- Storage conditions and dispensing of the drug in pharmacies
- Analogs Afriina
- African price
The drug Afrin is a vasoconstrictor for intranasal use.
The main active ingredient of the drug is oxymetazoline, which belongs to alpha-adrenomimetics.
Drug release form
Afrin comes in the form of a spray intended for intranasal use. The drug is available in plastic bottles of 15 and 20 ml of 0.1% (for adults) and 0.05% (children's dosage), packed in a cardboard box.
Pharmacological action of the drug
The drug in contact with the mucous membrane of the nose contributes to the narrowing of blood vessels and the elimination of swelling of the mucous membrane. It improves nasal breathing and reduces blood flow to the venous vessels of the nasal cavity. The therapeutic effect is observed already 5-10 minutes after instillation of the drug and maintains its duration for 7 hours.
As part of complex therapy, this drug can be used as a vasoconstrictor drug in inflammatory processes of the Eustachian tube and middle ear. Afrin oxymetazoline, which is part of the spray, helps to reduce the edema around the opening of the Eustachian tube and reduce the pain caused by the inflammatory process.
Also, the active ingredient of the drug Afrin contributes to some drying of the mucous membrane of the nasal passages and reduce mucus secretion.
Indications for use of the drug
The main indications for the use of Afrin spray are the following states:
- Acute inflammatory processes of the nasal mucosa, accompanied by edema of the nasal passages, obstructed nasal breathing, the separation of large amounts of mucus - inflammatory processes can be caused by both viral nature and allergic reactions (allergic rhinitis);
- Vasomotor rhinitis;
- Eustachitis otitis media as part of complex therapy;
- The need for narrowing of the mucous membranes of the nasal cavity for diagnostic purposes, for example, during rhinoscopy.
Contraindications to use
Spray Afrin has a number of serious contraindications. These include:
- Individual intolerance to oxymetazoline;
- Allergic reactions to drugs from the group of alpha adrenomimetics;
- Angle-closure glaucoma of the eye;
- Atrophic inflammatory processes in the nasal cavity;
- Heart rhythm disorders, heart failure;
- High blood pressure;
- Disruption of the thyroid gland;
- Children's age up to 6 years;
- Atherosclerotic deposits on the walls of large blood vessels.
Use of the drug during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Many expectant mothers identify such a condition as pregnant women’s rhinitis. The swelling and nasal congestion in most cases are not associated with viral infection or allergic reactions. A runny nose and nasal breathing in future mothers is caused by a serious hormonal alteration, and soon after the birth of the child, all the unpleasant symptoms go away on their own without any medical intervention. The use of vasoconstrictor nasal drops during pregnancy is not recommended in any of the trimesters, as this may adversely affect the development of the fetus. It would seem that how nasal drops can affect the uterus, but the relationship here is huge. Oxymetazoline after getting on the nasal mucosa is quickly absorbed and in a significant amount falls into the general bloodstream. The vasoconstrictor effect extends not only to the nasal vessels, but also to the vessels of the placenta! With frequent and uncontrolled use of the drug, the organism quickly becomes addicted to oxymetazoline, which is accompanied by the need to increase the dose of the spray each time to achieve the desired therapeutic effect. The use of nasal spray Afrin during pregnancy leads to frequent narrowing of the blood vessels of the placenta, as a result of which the fetus lacks oxygen. This in turn can lead to a delay in intrauterine development of the child and other serious deviations.
Before you take the Afrin spray into your hands, the expectant mother should consult with the doctor. To relieve nasal breathing and reduce swelling of the nasal mucosa, the doctor will most likely select an alternative drug that will not be so aggressive towards the fetus.
The use of the drug in the period of breastfeeding is possible only for serious reasons under the strict supervision of a doctor.
In most cases, the drug Afrin is well tolerated by patients, but with long-term use and self-excess indicated in the instructions of the patient doses the risk of side effects is high:
- Burning nose and severe dryness of mucous membranes;
- Psychomotor agitation;
- Anxiety or apathy;
- Increased arterial and intraocular pressure;
- Headache and dizziness;
- Siphoning, sneezing;
- Puffiness of the mucous membrane of the nasal cavity and its atrophy with a long enough use of the drug.
If such side effects appear, spray application should be stopped immediately and consult a doctor!
Method of use of the drug and dosage
The drug Afrin is indicated for intranasal use. Adults and adolescents are prescribed 2 injections of the drug twice a day. Children over 6 years old are recommended to inject 1 spray into each nostril 1-2 times a day, depending on the severity of the symptoms of rhinorrhea and rhinitis. The duration of the course of treatment is determined by the doctor, but it should not exceed 5 days, since in this case the patient develops addiction to oxymetazoline and a decrease in the therapeutic effect of the spray. If after 5 days the symptoms of the disease have not passed, then the patients are prescribed alternative treatment for the main other active ingredient in order to prevent overdose and addiction to Afrin.
Among patients, there are rare cases of overdose with the drug Afrin. As a rule, this occurs after a significant excess of these doses or accidentally taking the medicine inside. Overdose of the drug is expressed by the following symptoms:
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Cyanosis of the skin and mucous membranes of the mouth;
- Constriction of the pupils;
- Increased body temperature;
- Increased blood pressure;
- Symptoms of vascular insufficiency - sudden dizziness, up to loss of consciousness;
- Respiratory disorders;
- Oppression of the central nervous system or vice versa excessive excitability;
- Pulmonary edema;
- Heart rhythm disturbance accompanied by tachycardia or bradycardia;
- In severe cases, coma or cardiac arrest may occur.
If at least one of the symptoms of an overdose appears, the patient should immediately consult a doctor! Symptomatic treatment, the patient is washed stomach, given to take activated charcoal or other sorbent.
Interaction with other drugs
Spray Afrin while used with local anesthetic drugs can cause their long-term action. With the simultaneous use of the spray with other drugs from the group of alpha-adrenergic significantly increases the risk of side effects.
The use of the drug in pediatric practice for children over 6 years old increases the absorption of the main active ingredient in the blood, which can cause a number of the above side effects. That is why the treatment of rhinitis and other pathologies in children should be especially careful to monitor compliance with the specified dosage.
During the use of this drug may be a slight depression of the central nervous system or a slower reaction rate in patients, which is important to consider drivers of vehicles and other patients whose work is related to the mechanisms.
Storage conditions and dispensing of the drug in pharmacies
Spray Afrin available in pharmacies without a prescription. After opening the bottle, the medicine should be used within 6 months, after which the spray should be discarded. An open bottle to store in the refrigerator or other dark cool place, inaccessible for children.
Analogs on the active substance:
Vicks Active Sineks, Nazivin, Nazol, Nazosprey, Nesopin, Noksprey
Analogues of the pharmaceutical group:
Grippostad Reno, Galazolin, Foros, Xilen, Otrivin, Naphthyzinum, Xymelin, Rinosprey, Tizin xylo, Sanorin, Farmazolin.
Afrin nasal spray 0.05% - from 195 rubles.