Acyclovir eye ointment
Eye Ointment Acyclovir belongs to the pharmacological group of drugs - antiviral agents. It is used in ophthalmology for the treatment of viral herpetic infections affecting the eyes. Antiviral action has an active substance of the drug - micronized acyclovir.
Form of issue and composition
Eye Ointment Acyclovir is a dosage form for use in ophthalmology. It is available in tubes containing 5 g of ointment. In a cardboard bundle of ophthalmic Acyclovir ointment contains one tuba with ointment and instructions for use. The active ingredient of the preparation is micronized acyclovir. Its concentration in 1 ml of the ointment volume is 30 mg. In addition to the main active substance, the ointment contains an auxiliary component of white petrolatum. Concentration of active agent ophthalmic ointment Acyclovir is sufficient to provide antiviral action.
The active substance of the drug is an antiviral agent. It refers to the synthetic analogue of thymidine nucleoside. Penetrating into an infected cell, acyclovir is converted to the active form, acyclovir triphosphate, by the action of the viral enzyme thymidine kinase. It is embedded in DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid, is a genetic material, contains information in the form of a certain sequence of nucleosides) of the virus and prevents further reading (transcription) of information from it. This blocks further replication (multiplication) of the virus. Since in healthy cells there is no enzyme of thymidine kinase, acyclovir does not adversely affect them. Eye acyclovirus Acyclovir is effective mainly against herpes simplex viruses - herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2 (Herpes simplex 1 and 2), herpes zoster virus (Varicella zoster). The drug to a lesser extent blocks the reproduction of cytomegalovirus (CMV), the Epstein-Barr virus.
After the application of ophthalmic ointment, the active substance is rapidly and almost completely adsorbed by the cells of the stratum corneum and by the ocular (parabulbar) cellulose. It penetrates well into the eyeball, accumulates in the vitreous body of the eye and in the intraocular fluid. In small amounts, acyclovir is absorbed into the systemic bloodstream, penetrates the placenta into the body of the growing fetus during pregnancy and into breast milk during lactation.
Indications for use
Application of ophthalmic ointment Acyclovir is indicated for the treatment of keratitis (an inflammatory process of the eye cornea) caused by virus-susceptible to the active substance of the preparation - the herpes virus, herpes zoster, cytomegalovirus and the Epstein-Barr virus.
Contraindications for use
The main contraindication to the use of eye ointment Acyclovir is an individual intolerance of the active substance of the drug or its auxiliary components. During pregnancy and breast-feeding, the ointment can be used only if the benefit to the mother's organism is significantly greater than the potential risks to the growing fetus or child.
Dosage and route of administration
Eye acyclovirus Acyclovir is applied as an installation in the lower conjunctival sac with a small strip, the length of which is about 10 mm. This installation is carried out 5 times a day with an interval of at least 4 hours. Duration of treatment with ophthalmic ointment Acyclovir is the entire period of corneal disease and 3 more days after the improvement of the condition and the decrease in the severity of manifestations of the pathological process.
Application of ophthalmic ointment Acyclovir in a small number of cases can lead to the development of such side effects:
- Burning sensation after pouring ointment into the lower conjunctival sac - the intensity of burning depends on the severity of individual intolerance to the drug.
- The development of superficial keratopathy is a degenerative-dystrophic process in the cells of the surface layer of the cornea.
- Conjunctivitis is a reactive inflammation of the eye conjunctiva.
- The development of allergic reactions with hypersensitivity to hypersensitivity to the components of the drug, when they are absorbed into the systemic bloodstream, may develop a rash on the skin, itching, urticaria (a characteristic rash with a small swelling of the skin, reminiscent of a nettle burn). It is extremely rare to develop a severe allergic reaction in the form of anaphylactic shock (the development of multiple organ failure on the background of a progressive decrease in systemic blood pressure).
If any side effect develops, the drug should be discontinued and consult a doctor.
Before using the drug, you should carefully read the instructions for use. It is necessary to pay attention to some features in the use of ophthalmic ointment Acyclovir:
- The first application of the ointment may cause a slight burning sensation in the area of the conjunctiva, which in most cases passes by itself.
- During the course of treatment with ophthalmic acyclovir, contact lens wear is not recommended.
- The effect of the drug on the rate of psychomotor reactions and concentration of attention is absent.
In pharmacies, the drug is dispensed without a prescription. In case of questions or doubts about its use, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Cases of significant excess of the dose of the drug and the corresponding reaction of the body are not known. Acyclovir may develop side effects of eye ointment.
Eye ointment, which also contains acyclovir as the main active substance, is - Zovirax.
Terms and conditions of storage
Shelf life of the drug is 5 years, if it was not applied. After printing, eye ointment can be stored for 30 days. Store in a dark place inaccessible to children, at an ambient temperature of + 25 ° C.
Eye Acyclovir price
Acyclovir ointment eye 3%; Tube aluminum 5 g - from 64 rubles.