Acyclovir eye ointment instructions for use
Acyclovir eye ointment belongs to the pharmacological group of drugs - antiviral drugs. It is used in ophthalmology for the treatment of viral herpetic infections affecting the eyes. Antiviral effect has an active ingredient of the drug - micronized acyclovir.
Release form and composition
Acyclovir eye ointment is a dosage form for use in ophthalmology. It is available in tubes containing 5 g ointment. In a cardboard bundle of eye ointment Acyclovir contains one tube with ointment and instructions for use. The active ingredient of the drug is micronized acyclovir. Its concentration in 1 ml of the volume of ointment is 30 mg. In addition to the main active ingredient ointment contains an auxiliary component white petrolatum. The concentration of the active substance eye ointment Acyclovir is sufficient to provide antiviral action.
The active ingredient of the drug is an antiviral agent. It refers to the synthetic analog of the thymidine nucleoside. Penetrating into an infected cell, acyclovir under the action of the viral enzyme thymidine kinase is converted into an active form - acyclovir triphosphate. It is inserted into DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid, is a genetic material, contains information in the form of a specific nucleoside sequence) of a virus, and prevents further reading (transcription) of information from it. This blocks further replication (reproduction) of the virus. Since there is no thymidine kinase enzyme in healthy cells, acyclovir does not adversely affect them. Acyclovir eye ointment is mainly effective against herpes viruses - herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2 (Herpes simplex 1 and 2), shingles virus (Varicella zoster). The drug to a lesser extent blocks the reproduction of cytomegalovirus (CMV), Epstein-Barr virus.
After applying the ophthalmic ointment, the active substance is rapidly and almost completely adsorbed by the cells of the stratum corneum of the eye and eye tissue (parabulbar) fiber. It penetrates well into the eyeball, accumulates in the vitreous body and in the intraocular fluid. In small quantities, acyclovir is absorbed into the systemic circulation, passes through the placenta into the body of a growing fetus during pregnancy and into breast milk during lactation.
Indications for use
The use of eye ointment Acyclovir is indicated for the treatment of keratitis (inflammation of the cornea of the eye) caused by viruses susceptible to the active substance of the drug - herpes virus, zoster, cytomegalovirus and Epstein-Barr virus.
The main contraindication to the use of eye ointment Acyclovir is individual intolerance to the active ingredient of the drug or its auxiliary components. During pregnancy and breastfeeding, the ointment can be used only if the benefits to the mother's body significantly exceed the potential risks to the growing fetus or baby.
Dosage and method of use
Acyclovir eye ointment is applied as an installation into the lower conjunctival sac with a small strip, the length of which is about 10 mm. Such installation is performed 5 times a day with an interval of at least 4 hours. The duration of the course of treatment with ophthalmic ointment Acyclovir is the entire period of corneal disease and another 3 days after improving the condition and reducing the severity of manifestations of the pathological process.
The use of eye ointment Acyclovir in a small number of cases can lead to the development of such side effects:
- The sensation of burning after laying ointment in the lower conjunctival sac - the intensity of burning depends on the severity of individual intolerance to the drug.
- The development of superficial keratopathy is a degenerative-dystrophic process in the cells of the surface layer of the cornea.
- Conjunctivitis - reactive inflammation of the conjunctiva of the eye.
- The development of allergic reactions in case of hypersensitivity (hypersensitization) to the components of the drug, when they are absorbed into the systemic circulation - a rash on the skin, itching, urticaria (a characteristic rash with a slight swelling of the skin, resembling a nettle) may appear. It is rarely possible the development of severe allergic reactions in the form of anaphylactic shock (the development of multiple organ failure on the background of a progressive decrease in systemic blood pressure).
In the case of the development of any side effect, the use of the drug should be discontinued and consult a doctor.
Before you start using the drug, you must carefully study the instructions for its use. It is necessary to pay attention to some features in the use of acyclovir eye ointment:
- The first application of the ointment may cause a slight burning sensation in the conjunctiva, which in most cases passes on its own.
- During the course of treatment with ophthalmic ointment Acyclovir, wearing contact lenses is not recommended.
- The effect of the drug on the speed of psychomotor reactions and concentration is absent.
In pharmacies, the drug is available without a prescription. In case of any questions or doubts regarding its use, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Cases of a significant excess of the dose of the drug and the corresponding reaction of the organism are not known. Possible development of manifestations of side ointment Acyclovir.
Eye ointment, which also contains acyclovir as the main active ingredient, is - Zovirax.
Terms and conditions of storage
The shelf life of the drug is 5 years, in case it was not used. After printing, the eye ointment can be stored for 30 days. It is necessary to store in a dark place inaccessible to children, at air temperature not higher than + 25 ° C.
Eye ointment Acyclovir price
Acyclovir ophthalmic ointment 3%; aluminum tube 5 g - from 64 rubles.